24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GregC Offline OP
OP Offline
I've not posted to this forum before but was referred by a friend on the Curio and Relic list. I recently found what was marked as a Gamble Stores Pioneer 27A. My friends have helped me ID this as a .22 Savage 6, but what model I'm not sure. Also no one seems to have seen this stock on a Savage before. It appears to be original to the rifle. It seems to have a post sling swivel hole in the butt stock and screw holes in the forestock for some sort of metal upper sling swivel. I'd like to finish this rifle out with its original parts, but have no idea what to look for in terms of sling swivels. Can you guys help me identify the exact model and provide info on the stock and sling swivels? This link has fotos:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/E965D9E4D7BB152

Thanks much in advance.

Greg

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Stevens/Springfield 87a.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking that GeneB posted a photo of one of those not too long ago. He might be able to provide details on some of the original parts that you are missing.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GregC Offline OP
OP Offline
I haven't been able to find any pic of the 87a that matches this...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pact is saying that your rifle is based on the Stevens 87a.

There is no other model/house brand with the stock used on your rifle. Probably have to wait for GeneB to show up as I think your rifle is a pretty odd duck and you will be lucky to find another.

Rick...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greg; Saw your PM & answered there before I saw this post so check that out. I put in a link the has pictures of another Gambles Pioneer 27A that is more complete. There is a great deal of info on a lot of different versions, models, house brands & etc that are based on the Savage Model 6 action there - Model 6 Data Base on RFC

Front sight hood missing & sling swivels not original, orinals look like those on a 1919NRA.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 07/01/12. Reason: added picture

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene, when were these sold...40's?

Rick...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick; I am unsure of any exact date but would think definatly pre-war and if model numbers were in order they would date before the Pioneer Model 31 22 pumps which you should have some serial number data on.

It also wouldn't surpise me to find that because they were so ugly they were never really sold but eventually all had to be given away.

Gene
GregC Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Gene,
Am having a bit of trouble navigating this site so apologize in advance if I ask a question you've already answered.
I'm assuming from what you've said that this is a variant of the Savage 6?
Would I search Numrich under Savage 6 for replacement parts, assuming that they have any?
Since this is a rare variant, I assume that the barrel band is practically unavailable?
I read in one of your posts that there are two firing pins, an older one and a new one. Do you know which pin this variant needs? There are several pics on that link I sent of the disassembled bolt and pin. (Still haven't figured out how to post pics on the forum.)
Mine does have a patent number stamped in tiny characters just to the right of the rear sight. It is 2094577. "Others Pending" is stamped right below it. Does this help in terms of better identifying the date or specific model?

I've been a C&R collector of military rifles for 15 years or so, and am finding that these domestic .22's are just as intriguing. I found this rifle in a gunshop on consignment for $185. They have a lot of other 22's that I'm anxious to know more about. Also recently bought two nice Mossbergs, a 46B and a 151M, that I'm replacing the parts on and can't wait to fire.

Thanks again for the info. I look forward to seeing more...

Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greg, I don't remember saying anything about different firing pins on these, I remember discussing different firing pins for 29 pumps. I am not that up on the differences in these models, my main interest is the pump guns. There is some good information on that other site I posted a link to that goes throught the parts variations on these rifles - that's where I look to find information.

Gene
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GregC, FYI... whenever Savage made a change to the model 6 they changed the model number by adding or advancing an alpha suffix.... model 6, 6A, 6B, 6C, etc..

Savage also produced the same/similar item under the Stevens, Springfield and House Brand names. External parts were different (stock, trigger guard, barrel markings) but the internal parts were the same (probably) for that version of the model.

There is good information in the Savage section on the RimFireCentral Forum. Look in the first sticky, "Savage, Stevens, Springfield, clone data base".

Rick...

GregC Offline OP
OP Offline
Gene, is there any way that you could take a closer pic of the barrel band on this rifle? I think it may be similar to the NRA 19 band, but am not sure. Looks like this photo you have here is the only one on the internet....

Hate to ask for the inconvenience, but the hunt is on.... :-)

Thanks!

Greg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Model 6 got changed very early becoming the model 6A - it looks like the original design was not supported, there is a note on the bottom of the parts page about getting them converted to a later configuration. The original 6's worked different than all later versions.

I don't know which exact version of the rifle your Gambles is based on but you should be able to compare parts from this list. The front barrel band is just made from thin sheetmetal and shouldn't be to much trouble to fabricate.

You can see that there are a lot of different model versions based on the one basic design.
[Linked Image]

Here are later versions but you can see that many of the parts are the same - this verison has a countoured breech plug -
[Linked Image]

This is when they went to a tang safety -
[Linked Image]

Hi-Standard made a gun that looks to be based on this design, also SPORCO in Australia - I doubt parts from either of these will interchange.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Click here for full sized picture:

GeneB's 22

And here's a pic of the barrel band on my 19H.

Full Size Pic of Barrel Band

[Linked Image]

Similar, but not identical. Though I'm not a 19 guru, so there may be another variation which matches it exactly.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.