Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno about that. My No. 1 .300 H&H shot as well as most bolt rifles. In fact that's been my experience with most No. 1's made in the past 20 years, since Ruger started making their own barrels.

John,
Did you need to do the forend hanger block repair to it or are they just better now?

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Black Dog,
I'm not John, but my new No 1 in 300 HH shoots bt's under 1/2" and accubonds, npt, and e-tips under an inch with no modifications or adjustments to the gun and very little load development.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for letting me know, there were some troubles with them then, It'd good to know that Ruger resolved the problems.
Congrats on having such a stellar shooting 300H&H!
I bet you are really enjoying it and the cartridge,...
Best,
BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackdog1,

I haven't done a hanger modification on any No. 1 made in the last 20 years. Have probably owned 12-15 made since then, and about half shoot right out of the box. On the other half all I've done is epoxy-bed the "hump" in the front of the forend.
That's what I did with the .300 H&H, and it shot 180 Ballistic Tips well under an inch.

Along with the barrels, Ruger has also shortened up the throats in many chamberings.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back when I was chasing rifles, I had one each M70 and Browning Safari in .300 H&H. Both were really nice. Took a nice profit on the Safari (long extractor, pre salt) and a huge profit on the M70.
Kids in college at the time on the dad and mom scholarship (plus their own jobs) plans. Wish I still had one or the other, but we made a good investment. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,
Thanks for the insight, It's good to know that the hangar modification to improve accuracy is a thing of the past, I remember all to well the problems a lot of fellas were having back then and who was supplying Ruger barrels at the time. I have always felt that a good looking, strong, and solid falling block action was, at the time, unfortunately, crippled by poor barrels. I haven't had a 300H&H in the #1 yet, but, I did have a older 7x57 in a #1-A... long throated.... would be a kind and gentle way of putting it.

- Winston Churchill-

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
"CARE" package???????

Thanks but we're good to go...he has some Nosler ammo....I was right on front of RCBS dies for it and offered to grab them;but he wanted Redding,so I think he prdered them.

Should not have dumped my 300H&H stuff.....what if I see one I want? eek

I always wanted a #1 in 7x57. frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MuleDeer,
curious to hear that your 300 Holland is a Winchester. I read that you prefer the gas handling of the Mauser or Remington action. Is the past use of the older 70's by others a factor in the choice or a personal story? Living in the land of some cool old gun makers I buy stuff because it was made where I grew up, but others have different reasons.
Do you load for it with any special precautions because it is not a Mauser type action? I do know you are not a "Hot Rodder" when it comes to reloads and pressure.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bob

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nothing feeds smoother thant a pre-64 M-70 chambered in 300 or 375 H&H

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Posted this in the Winchester group, too. I have a 1957 300 H&H. Good shooter as well. Any idea how much value is lost due to a polished bolt handle and the action polished as well (not dished out!). % is OK. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Arthur Olds

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob B257,

I just use pretty new brass, and inspect it thoroughly. And no, I'm not a hot-rodder. It's easy to get 3000 fps with a 180 out of the 26" barrel, which in my experience kills stuff pretty well.

I wanted a pre--'64 because that was the original American rifle in .300 H&H. It's not the greatest action ever made, but when used sanely it works fine. I've had a number of pre-'64's over the years, and have another right now, a Featherweight .30-06, another I always wanted. But I have far more Mauser-actioned big game rifles, and consider the 98 a superior action.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thats what I thought and it has made me consider the move to send a 1963 308 featherweight down the road to finance other projects. The rifle has some history in my local club and is a nice one, but I have a functional, duplicate, push feed that is a few years newer and it works just as well.

Choices, choices.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.