Print Thread
Hop To
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am thinking of getting into the centerfire 22 game, specifically .22 Hornet. Does anyone out there shoot the Savage 25? I like Savages and think the Hornet would be fun as I do reload. And are there replacement stocks available for the Model 25?

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have heard and read only good about the model 25 and think it would be a quite nice walkabout rifle. Same-same with 22 Hornet. Why would one replace the stock? Looks like a good, classic design with attractive and stiff/stable laminated wood right from the get go.

If you want a plastic stock walk around varminter, I might sell you my lightweight stynthetic Mauser actioned 6mmAI.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
The Walking Varminter has a synthetic stock, not too impressive. The Lightweight has the laminated stock. But I just wondered what the impression was of the Savage hornet rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OOPS, I just saw a picture of the Walking Varminter in a gun rag this morning, was mistaken. If it were me I would just grab the lightweight and give it a go. If you have to re sell it, not much will be lost I would think. Savage Rifles are known to shoot really well, but the 22 Hornet has a rap for being difficualt to get to shoot well. IF they makeit in 222, and I seem to remeber that they do, I would go with that one or do the 'K' (Kilbourne) improved version of the hornet once the rifle was in hand and try just careful, minimalist re sizing to see if I could get it to shoot to a higher standard.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The 17 hornet will be out antime now!!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by E Blair
I am thinking of getting into the centerfire 22 game, specifically .22 Hornet. Does anyone out there shoot the Savage 25? I like Savages and think the Hornet would be fun as I do reload. And are there replacement stocks available for the Model 25?

I know your thinking 22Hornet but if you can do a .204Ruger, .223Rem, 22-250, or etc. I'd highly recommend a new Savage Model 16FCSS. The 16 is a nice walking varminter too. Excellent shooters and there are a great many aftermarket performance parts available for them. McMillan inlets their stocks for them in the blind mag/ADL style configuration. You can do a barrel swap to a Hornet after you get set up. The Savage makes a great rig..

http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/16FCSS

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I was checking with my local gun shop and the price is pretty good on the 25 with the laminate stock, not the thumbhole. This looks like a good little gun. Now I just need to get my reloading gear together. There is a video on the web of some gun in Texas head shooting feral hogs with .22 Hornet. He puts them down pretty good!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Savage 25 in 204ruger. It has the thumbhole stock. Love the rifle. I use it on sagerats. Probably will buy the 17 hornet too. ED

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I had a 25 lightweight in .223, and sold it. It was not particularly light, but it was absurdly accurate and priced well too. Wait, why did I sell that one?

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by m_s_s
I have a Savage 25 in 204ruger. It has the thumbhole stock. Love the rifle. I use it on sagerats. Probably will buy the 17 hornet too. ED

Any potential for barrel burn out with the .204? That is a pretty hot cartridge.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't load it hot, squeeks don't know how fast the bullet is going lol. It will them just as dead at 3600fps as 4000.

E
E
I bought the Lightweight model 25 about 6 months ago. The rifle shoots half inch groups at 100yards with Hornady 55gr v-max. Rifle has a burris 4.5x14 with burris rings and a harris bipod. Action is smooth and is great for coyotes and cats. Rifle is easy to handle even when shooting at a running target. I have found nothing negative about this rifle. Paid around 400 new for the rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Walmart has them in 223 and 204 for $599

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Doubt if you'l get any replies on the Savage Model 25 in .22 Hornet: there aren't any, and there aren't any .17H's either. A local dealer ran an ad for the .22 Hornet a year and a half ago and I was jerked around for months until I finally gave up. And all the time Savage is bombarding us with ads about them. What freaking corporate arrogance. I'm done with Savage.
Also, I wouldn't recommend hunting feral hogs with a little .22 Hornet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just got our first 17 Hornet last Wednesday.

E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I was looking at a Browning A Bolt Micro Hunter in .22 Hornet yesterday. That is a nice little gun and I may go with that when I have the cash. $750 without scope. It has a glass bedded receiver and a free floating barrel. The length of pull is a little short, but it is a nice setup. I don't know if any of you guys hunt with it, would like to hear if so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got back a couple weeks ago from AZ, shooting prairie dogs with a couple buddies who each have a model 25 in .223 - both have laminated stocks, one with thumbhole stock and 1 with reg laminated stock. Both guys were very happy with them and did well.

For my walking varminter, I have a CZ 527 that I like very much.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by E Blair
I was looking at a Browning A Bolt Micro Hunter in .22 Hornet yesterday. That is a nice little gun and I may go with that when I have the cash. $750 without scope. It has a glass bedded receiver and a free floating barrel. The length of pull is a little short, but it is a nice setup. I don't know if any of you guys hunt with it, would like to hear if so.

Better find a way to buy that Browning; I guarantee it won't last long. For all practical reasons, though, the C-Z American is a just as good - or better - package, and about a hundred bucks less.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got three of the little CZ527s, a Hornet, a .204 and a .221 Fireball. All are fun to shoot, the Fireball is the better shooter of the three, by far, and it isn't hard to load for, either. I DO like my Hornet, but the Fireball is a better cartridge, period.

.204s aren't as easy on barrels as a .223 would be, but are infinitely better than, say, a .22/250, at least after a couple of days in a prairie dog patch.

I don't shoot my CZ .204 much, it's sorta got all my coyote hunting duties, so I don't get to shoot it a lot. For PDs, I use a big, fat 12 Savage heavy-barrelled gun.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by RowdyYates

Better find a way to buy that Browning; I guarantee it won't last long. For all practical reasons, though, the C-Z American is a just as good - or better - package, and about a hundred bucks less.

The advantages I see for the Browning over the CZ 527 is it has a 60 degree bolt throw while the CZ has 90 degrees. There is no problem with hitting the scope, while I understand the CZ has a problem in this area.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.