Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I haven't hear anything about him for 15 years, maybe 20? Is he still alive? Did he get convicted of poaching or something?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
www.lonlauber.com

I haven't seen Lon for quite a while, but he's doing well and living in his native Spokane area. He was living in Alaska when I first met him over 20 years ago.

Probably not best to speculate why you haven't heard of somebody for a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I must make it a point to catch up with old friends, the speculation could ruin a guy's reputation ;-)

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
L
Lon Offline
L
Hey guys, Lon Lauber here. Yes, I'm still alive. No I have not been convicted of poaching or anything like that at all.

I'm still shooting photos, continue to bow hunt for big game and actively pursuing upland birds with my 16 ga. Citori and two pointing labs. And, I'm still l writing for many outdoor publications. I've had stuff regularly published in Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, North American Hunter, American Hunter, Bowhunter, Alaska magazine, Hunt Alaska, etc...If you don't know where I've been you haven't been paying attention to bylines.

Only thing new in my life is a got married last year and moved across town to the Spokane Valley. I moved from Alaska back to my hometown of Spokane more than 11 years ago.

Just got back from a 19-day bowhunt for black bears in Southeast Alaska for Bowhunter Magazine TV show. We killed two Pope and Young class boars on camera for the show. It should air next spring.

I hope this clears up any speculation on what is going on with Lon Lauber!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi, Lon. John Barsness here! Good to hear things are going well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

L
Lon Offline
L
John, good to hear from you. I usually don't participate in many forums, too busy hunting and shooting photos. But felt compelled to respond this time. I appreciate your earlier advice about not speculating...

Lon

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
welcome to the forum Lon.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi Lon,

I guess I let all of my magazine subscriptions lapse about 15 yrs ago. I used to enjoy your Alaskan hunting and IIRC, your browning archery ads in magazines.

Unfortunately, I don't watch TV that much, preferring to do gardening and hunting and target practice more than anything wink

Thanks for clearing up and for letting us know you're still alive and kicking smile

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Lon,

Met you at a P&Y banquet or two. Glad to hear things are good. I bowhunt alot and moved up to BC to work after 35 yrs in Colorado. Shot a 19" black bear this spring with the bow. Overshot a grizzly at 28 yds a few weeks later. Too much adrenaline!

Shoot a 16 gauge Citori occasionally and an AYA SxS more frequently while hunting over our Vizsla. There are ruffs, blues, spruce and chukars around here. No quail or pheasants nearby.

Kurt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome, Lon. Don't be a stranger--drop in once in a while and share some of your wisdom.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the fire Lon. I have enjoyed your work in the past and hope to see more of it.

L
Lon Offline
L
Thanks Gents for the warm welcome.

I'll try to check in now and then.

Kurt, congrats on the black bear. No worries about missing the grizzly, try to concentrate on all the things you did correct to get within 28 yards and don't let the miss eat at you. Easier said than done, I know. Just figure out why the non-hit occurred, learn from it and move on!

I was just driving through BC last week on my return from bowhunting black bears in Alaska. I was surprised to see the semi arid country in south central BC. I wondered if there were chukars in them thar hills!

Lon

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lon
I was just driving through BC last week on my return from bowhunting black bears in Alaska. I was surprised to see the semi arid country in south central BC. I wondered if there were chukars in them thar hills!

Lon

Yes! Have seen more in the Lytton area of Fraser Canyon, but there are a few in the Okanagan Valley, or were when I lived there over 20 years ago.

And yes, welcome to a good forum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lon
Thanks Gents for the warm welcome.

Lon

Lon;
Please let me extend another welcome to the 'Fire from just a wee bit north of the medicine line in the aforementioned section of south central BC.

I've enjoyed your writing and photographic skills for some time now and am honored that you've joined us.

We here in the south Okanagan and Similkameen at least do see chukars occasionally, though not as many as I recall seeing or better said hearing back 15 or more years ago.

It might be our wetter and cooler weather the last few years, I don't know for sure, but the chukars along with the Blues appear to be in decline.

I recall talking to a chap from Washington who was an active chaser of chukars who said they could be found in decent numbers down by Wenatchee, but again that was 5 years ago and that might be poor information by now as well.

Anyway, again welcome to the 'Fire sir.

All the best to you and yours this Fourth of July.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lon,
It's good to hear that you're doing well. I don't know if you remember me, but I'm the guy that was with you when the argo sunk at our mutual friend TZ's house in Massena, NY.
Jonathan Zysik

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.