Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My dad owns a Rem 1100 Trap 12 gauge. We are planning on going out after ducks and he wants to run the magnum loads through it. They will be 2 3/4 but still the heavy ones. He wants to know with it being a trap grade will it take the harder recoil.

Also If it had a tube chambered for 3" on it will it cycle them?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The barrel is plenty strong enough for magnum loads, however, the trap barrel probably has a full choke and that will not like the larger shot used for ducks.

Remington 870 and 100 shotguns have a shell stop staked into the port side wall of the receiver that stops and starts the ejection of the shell. On the 2 3/4" versions the stop is 1/4" ahead of the 3" versions. Everything else is the same about them.

The cases will start out and hang up on the forward end of the ejection port. You cannot buy this part from Remington... But I have moved them aft 1/4" and simply drilled and tapped a new mounting hole and filled the old.

I have come to use Federal 2 3/4" #2 classic loads and they have realy done well, especially on projectile-proof seaducks. One concern I would have is the high comb on the trap gun. If you are jump-shooting mallards he would probably find the gun perfect, but for everything else he will be shooting over the target.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not to mention that using magnum loads will beat the hell out of the action, possibly causing some real damage. Your barrel has two gas ports, indicating a setup for standard ammo. Running magnums through that will cause an excess of bolt recoil speed; a dangerous situation.

Stick to the proper ammo. YOU don't need to be in the ER getting sewed up..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's right, that gun wasn't designed to handle that ammo. It will cause damage to the gun.

The best he can do is try to run standard loads of bismuth through it, or some other non-toxic BUT SOFT shot.

A used steel-capable shotgun can be found very cheap and is a much better option than taking a trap gun into the duck blind.

grouseman

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go to remington's website and you can look up there recomendations on your 1100 and using steel shot.what they say is different than what has been posted here. get the facts from the horses mouth. http://remington.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/remington.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...from the horses mouth... as directed by lawyers! Did not find a reference to the exact question and certainly saw nothing glaring in the answers above. Perhaps a more directed link and cut-and-paste of Q&A might help make your point?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 2-cents - the SAAMI limit for ALL 12-gauge loads, except the 3-1/2 in mag, is 11,500-psi. I would use the 2-3/4 mags without a second thought in a well-maintained shotgun...and I'm a weenie.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Baltz I didnt see any reference to this question either. As for everybody I let him know what your thoughts and opinions were and Now were weighing the options. Were thinking about an 870 for a gun for him. Besides it sounds like a perfect excuse for a new shotgun. I personally have problems beliveing that the 3 1/2" loads or any of the magnums will kill a duck better than a 2 3/4" heavy game load. Kinda the same thing about the 30-30 and 243 on deer.

Saw an add in the paper for 100 decoys with decoy lines,wieghts,bag and pole for 80 bucks. Never bought or priced decoys, is this a good price?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your shotgun's serial number ends in M, N or U, then you have a 3-inch magnum shotgun and will need to use magnum ammunition.

The magnum barrel only has one gas orifice hole in the gas chamber and a field load will not supply sufficient gas pressure to cycle the action in a magnum barrel. Field barrels, on the other hand, have two orifice holes and are designed for the the lighter 2 3/4-inch loads.

Most Model 1100 Magnum shotguns with the exception of pre-1977 Model 1100 20-gauge shotguns can be fitted with 2 3/4-inch field barrels for use with light field and target loads.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 870
All standard Model 870 2 3/4 and 3-inch barrels are interchangeable within gauge, with the exception of 20 gauge guns built prior to 1977. These guns can be distinguished by the serial number. The suffix on these 20 gauges will be either "X" or "N". If your serial number ends in either "X" or "N" please refer to our Specialty Parts Dealers for extra barrels.

Model 870 Super Magnum barrels chambered for 3 1/2" shells cannot be used on non-Super Magnum Model 870 receivers. However, Model 870 magnum barrels with 3-inch chambers can be used on Model 870 Super Magnum receivers, but only with 2 3/4 or 3-inch shells. Super Magnum receivers have serial numbers that end with the letter "A".

The Model 870 Special Field has a shorter magazine tube and we have designed it for the 23 inch barrel. Other barrels will not fit the Model 870 Special Field.

Model 1100
All Model 1100 barrels are interchangeable within gauge with the exception of 20 gauge guns built prior to 1977. These can be distinguished by the serial number. The suffix on these 20 gauges will be either "X" or "N". If your serial number ends in either "X" or "N" please refer to our Specialty Parts Dealers for extra barrels.

Model 11-87
All Model 11-87 barrels are interchangeable within gauge with the exception of the Model 11-87 Super Magnum. There are however two different barrel contours, light contour and standard contour. A standard contour barrel will not fit on a gun with a light contour fore-end. This is most commonly encountered when purchasing an extra deer barrel to use with a Model 11-87 Premier. A light contour barrel will have a gap on either side of the fore-end with a standard contour fore-end. If you wish to purchase another fore-end please complete and fax a Parts Order Form to us.

Model 11-87 Super Magnum barrels chambered for 3 1/2-inch shells cannot be used on non-Super Magnum Model 11-87 receivers. Also, Model 11-87 barrels with 3-inch chambers cannot be used on Model 11-87 Super Magnum receivers. Super Magnum receivers have serial numbers that end with the letter "A".

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this what remington says,Model 1100
All Model 1100 barrels are interchangeable within gauge. to interpret i have a nonmagnum 12ga 1100, all 2 3/4" barrels will work on it, and all 3" barrels will work on it, with no alterations, 3" shells will cycle just fine, but remington recomends you not use heavy 3" magnum loads, 1 1/8th oz loads work fine, but turkey loads will not, due to the lighter spring in the non magnum 1100 action.reminton says this. The magnum barrel only has one gas orifice hole in the gas chamber and a field load will not supply sufficient gas pressure to cycle the action in a magnum barrel. Field barrels, on the other hand, have two orifice holes and are designed for the the lighter 2 3/4-inch loads. interpreting this to the 2 3/4" trap barrel. the trap barrel has 2 gas ports, and is designed for trap loads, not magnum loads. remington 1100 barells regulate the gun, so if you can find a 1 port barrel be it 2 3/4" or 3" it was designed to regulate magnum shells.when steel shot was first mandated, remington came out in print adds with the recomendation on chokes and shot size, if you have a post 1950 remington, it is safe to shoot up to #2 size steel shot in a standard full choke, no shot size larger than #2. the main catch to remington barrels, is the porting, 2 ports are non magnum, 1 port are magnum barrels.i'm refering to 870's and 1100's only in this choke recomendation, built after 1950 with fixed choke barrels.you would be better off with modified choke barrel with one port in the 1100.a 2 3/4" or 3" will function with no alterations to the action.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.