Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
What is your opinion of hunting with an over under choked with SK chokes. I see a ruger red label 20 for sale with those chokes. I usually have used mod on my benelli and am not sure about the pattern with SK.

Really like the looks of that o/u. Just afraid of the chokes. Should that concern me at all or is the difference negligable?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If you're talking about the one in the classifieds here, you've already seen what I wrote about the gun, chokes, and grouse. smile

I carry a fixed Skeet/Skeet O/U myself around here, especially early in grouse season, when the woods are thick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Skeet chokes are perfect for grouse. There not that tough to kill and even long shots on grouse are close given there cover.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At 30 yards or less, skeet chokes are great for upland hunting.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
To me it would depend on the gauge gun you are using it in. To me skeet in a 28ga is crap. In 12 and 20 its fine to ok in my opinion.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
To me it would depend on the gauge gun you are using it in. To me skeet in a 28ga is crap. In 12 and 20 its fine to ok in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Ganderson
I see a ruger red label 20 for sale with those chokes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still stands 12ga yes but not my favorite, 20ga not so much but not a deal breaker, 28ga no way.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 07/04/12.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have used a 28 gauge O/U with fixed skeet chokes for many years of grouse hunting, with complete satisfaction. It doesn't take much to kill a grouse, but you gotta hit 'em.

So much depends on what constitutes an ideal grouse gun for an individual, such as (but not limited to): The environment you hunt in (not all grouse coverts are created equally), your individual ability to acquire the target/mount the gun/swing/shoot. What works for me may well not work for the next guy. My advice to newbies is to select a light fast handling gun that fits him, and start out out by trending toward more open chokes and adjust that according to the experience he accumulates, and then practice with it as much as he can. It's far more important to be physically fit and clear-headed, and put yourself where the grouse are, (and have a good dog) to be a successful grouse hunter than to be overly picky about the gun (as long as the basics mentioned above are covered). Meaning, a fat out of shape, wheezing, clueless oaf toting a waterfowl gun in virgin old growth forest with no bird cover, is going home with an empty game pouch. At least if that bumpkin were carrying a light 28 gauge he wouldn't be wheezing as much!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never said it took much to kill a grouse. Fact is the patterning board doesn't lie. After patterning more then a few guns it is crystal clear that a skeet choke in 28ga is crap. Will it kill birds sure, so won't a throwing a stone.

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Never said it took much to kill a grouse. Fact is the patterning board doesn't lie. After patterning more then a few guns it is crystal clear that a skeet choke in 28ga is crap. Will it kill birds sure, so won't a throwing a stone.

I have never had a single problem killing ,my limit of either grouse or pheasants with a 28 and open chokes.
The pattern board will not give you the complete story, but birds in the bag is the bottom line.
This limit was taken with a Tikka 412S tubed with Brileys choked SKT/SKT
[Linked Image]

These birds were shot with open chokes as well in 28 gauge guns.
[Linked Image]
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07/08/12.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the 20 ga. you're talking about, SK would be ideal.

Cat, I always appreciate your pictures, thanks. I never remember to bring a camera.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Boy your as sharp as a rock. Like I said, a stone will kill a grouse too! Doesn't make it the ideal thing to use. Its easy to showcase what you have killed compared to what you wounded and or missed. Again the pattern board doesn't lie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wound very few birds, but I DO know how to shoot and I kill what I shoot at.
I also don't take kindle to people insulting me who don't even know me.

Carry on with your insults however, as they will fall on deaf ears from now on.
BTW, I also shoot black powder cartridge guns on waterfowl and wound far less birds than many shooting the latest hi-tech stuff, even though I have been told that is also not possible.
I suppose you are next going to tell me a 20 gauge is not good for geese either.
Cat

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I got the same reactions from my buddies in the goose pits who are of the Benelli/3�" steel magnum mind set who wouldn't believe that old school technology or small gauges could compete. Even after about 10 seasons of dis-proving that, they still believe in the infallibility of their theory. Too much watching 'hunting' shows on TV, or too much belief in the marketing ploys of the big manufacturers I suppose, and not enough daring to be different and trying it for themselves.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
SK should be no problem especially for the woodcock as they can be killed with a BB gun. lol If late season and you need a little tighter pattern on the grouse, load the second tube with Fiochi Golden Pheasant or some other plated shot load to get a tighter pattern.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have sort of a similar question. I know where a nice O/U with fixed choke SK/SK is that I really like. Just don't know what hunting the SK/SK is good for. Do any good for doves?

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
The SK choke would be wicked on doves coming into a sunflower field to feed. In a larger field where the birds are flying higher, you might be disappointed. Like I stated above, you can tighten up the pattern somewhat with a copper or nickle plated shot at a little higher cost. I routinely use these in the second tube during late season quail/grouse hunting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have no problem with shooting ducks and geese with 20ga. I have no problem with Blackpowder and have hunted more then a few species with such. Matter of fact I have killed lots of birds with a .410, but I am smart enough to not use an open choke out of it. Full choke in .410 is a great little bird gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by passport
Skeet chokes are perfect for grouse. There not that tough to kill and even long shots on grouse are close given there cover.

They work very well in a 28 for pointed pheasants as well, as this young lad will attest to.
if you lead the bird and hit it in the head like you are supposed to, they hit the ground dead.
Cat
[Linked Image]

Last edited by catnthehat; 07/09/12.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.