-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a Model 700 that will only shoot 2.5" at 100 yards. it's the ammo or the shooter or both. I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot less than MOA. The Vanguard is a nice cheap entry level gun. I wouldn't want to be seen with one personally. It's kinda like riding a Honda. If you have no self esteem it's ok.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Swampman700
If you have a Model 700 that will only shoot 2.5" at 100 yards. it's the ammo or the shooter or both. I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot less than MOA. The Vanguard is a nice cheap entry level gun. I wouldn't want to be seen with one personally. It's kinda like riding a Honda. If you have no self esteem it's ok.

Yeah, a golf cart riding hunter wouldn't want to be seen on a Honda.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have been hearing nothing but good things about the TC rifles. I've handled a few and like the trigger. Not too heavy like the Vanguard which is otherwise a good rifle in my opinion. Don't know what options are available for stocks though. All I have experience with are the cheap plasic stocks which seem to perform just fine.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
laminate with very nice lines is avaliable for the vg2 from stockys

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just don't get the Vanguard being an entry level thing. I presently have three, one in 308, one in 300 bee, and one in 338 WM. they have all been some of the best shooters I own. Have several Remington's like them fine but the only one that will shoot with the Vanguard has a custom barrel. Haven't tried the S2 yet but I have never found anything to complain about with the older model and it is my understanding that the new model almost the same except for the trigger.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What's the problem with Rugers????? I had one in 257 Bob till it was stolen,and I'm saving for a Hawkeye.

Last edited by reddnek; 07/06/12.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I were stricken with the original poster's convictions, I have little doubt that I'd be looking hard at the Vanguard MkII, or whatever the newest version is called.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just dont care for them. Every one i have ever handled the action was "rough". While i love their wheel guns there is no love here for their rifles. Crude looking machine work and fit/ finish was not very good. Accuracy not that great either. And i have handled and shot several fron boat paddle stocked 7mag to a 25-06 target model with the hvy barrel and lam stock.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't care how you think my gun looks. Game sure doesn't.
Its all about accuracy and dependability.

stumpy

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Any gun that only does 2.5" with factory ammo is sporting the wrooong factory ammo.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reddnek
What's the problem with Rugers????? I had one in 257 Bob till it was stolen,and I'm saving for a Hawkeye.

I just can't find a Ruger longgun that is accurate. I wish I could. I've really tried.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The only two Rugers that ive had the pleasure of tinkering with were/are very good shooters.

The old man had a MKII SS 270 WSM that shot great and he now owns a MKII UL 30-06 that does 1/2-1 MOA all day with accubonds.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lots of good choices available today. In my experience, best out-of-box shooters are Tikka, Savage, TC Venture. Remington is pretty close as well. Winchester and Ruger are OK.

I have no experience with Weatherby or Howa, but they have a reputation as good shooters.

Right now, I think we're living in a "golden age" of affordable bolt action hunting rifles.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
When you want a barrel longer than 22" in 7mm-08, that doesn't leave a lot of options. Vanguards or the TC are about it based on your no Remmy clause. Both are a little heavier than I would prefer, but are touted to be accurate rifles. I did have a Rem 700 that had a pencil barrel and was a 2" shooter. And has been mentioned on here like a lot of others I kept the action and got rid of the stock and the barrel and now it is my wife's 7-08ai and is a nice sub moa semi-custom rifle.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I just can't find a Ruger longgun that is accurate. I wish I could. I've really tried.

Maybe its not the rifles....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

A logical response if i have ever heard one

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
I just dont care for them. Every one i have ever handled the action was "rough". While i love their wheel guns there is no love here for their rifles. Crude looking machine work and fit/ finish was not very good. Accuracy not that great either. And i have handled and shot several fron boat paddle stocked 7mag to a 25-06 target model with the hvy barrel and lam stock.

When people say Rugers aren�t accurate, I have to agree � none of my Ruger M77 or MKII�s shoot worth crap.

My first Ruger was a 1982 M77 in 7mm RM. It used to shoot .9� on a regular basis with 160g Grand Slams, 2-3 holes touching or almost so and the last opening up the group. I tore a Grand Slam apart and discovered an air pocket on one side. Later I tore another apart and found the same thing so I switched to North Fork bullets and the group sizes immediately shrunk to .5� and stayed there. That rifle has done as 3 shots into .262� at 100 with the 160g North Fork SS. I had the 7mm RM at the range one day using 140g North Fork SS bullets, shooting in a very gusty crosswinds that were doing 40MPH and better (the radio guy said up to 70mph). The Ruger put 6 into .75� but the overall group was a lousy 1.8�. Don�t know why I can�t get it to shoot better � maybe because it is 30 years old this year?

My MKII .22-250 hasn�t been able to do better than 4 shots into .5MOA at 200 yards� it�s a real loser.

My M77 .257 Roberts has only managed a .232� 3-shot group. Horrible accuracy, completely unacceptable.

A used M77 .30-06 I picked up in Texas came home and regularly shoots 2-3 shot scope check targets with holes touching or nearly so. Damn that �nearly so�.

Another used Ruger, a MKII .30-06 and a boat paddle MKII .300WM I bought new went to the range for a quick scope check before elk season using clay pigeons at 600 yards as targets. I hit a clay with one using an almost acceptable 2 shots but the other took a completely unacceptable 3 shots. Friggin� Rugers�

The .338WM I built from a MKII action and take-off Ruger barrel shot a 2-shot scope check target before last elk season. The damn holes were at least a bullet diameter apart � that rifle is a real POS!

I�m not surprised at all that you don�t want a Ruger.

[laughing]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 07/08/12. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Maybe he forgot to crimp a load & got a bullet stuck in the bore...I hate when that happens frown

Oh well my 2 tang 77s shoot better than the hunting scope I put on them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (akrange, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, Alan_C, 16 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.