Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boys, having spent many years working in and knocking about fish houses I thought I had smelled every creature that swims in the Atlantic Ocean in various states of decomposition. Never in my life have I come across something that stank so bad it took your breath away. And the damn thing wasn't dead for thirty minutes. I give you The Loggerhead Turtle, Caretta caretta. This one was run over by a sixty foot yacht. And yes we had the wildlife guy with us, he said they do start to go ripe fast. This one was estimated to be twenty two to twenty seven years old.

[Linked Image]

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Reminds me of a girl I dated...

Are they endangered? And how big was he? I don't know much about saltwater critters.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
uh.....why did you take the smelly thing out of the water and put it on the deck?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by deflave

The smell or the look?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Are they endangered? And how big was he? I don't know much about saltwater critters.

Travis

I'm confused. Are you still talking about the girl, or shrecks' new pet?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Travis

Endangered yes, we called the Coasties and they called the turtle rescue guys. Very nice chap went with us to see if we could find it, a no schit nuclear physicist by day and a turtle rescuer in the late afternoons. Even he couldn't handle the smell and he does this for fun. They are going to necrop it and they actually have a turtle burial ground on Holdens Beach. Who knew.
The shell is about 3' long, 2 1/2' wide and he weighs about 150lbs.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
uh.....why did you take the smelly thing out of the water and put it on the deck?

Well actually neither my boat driver or I would have thought that a salt water critter would go bad that quick. You fish salt water, 30 mikes, in the water. Not even a bluefish will start to stink that quick. And they are going to necrop it so I did my part for the advancement of Marine Science.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
So, do you think it's them shell noodles that stink or is it the leaking turtle fluids?

Something clever here.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shreck

Travis

Endangered yes, we called the Coasties and they called the turtle rescue guys. Very nice chap went with us to see if we could find it, a no schit nuclear physicist by day and a turtle rescuer in the late afternoons. Even he couldn't handle the smell and he does this for fun. They are going to necrop it and they actually have a turtle burial ground on Holdens Beach. Who knew.
The shell is about 3' long, 2 1/2' wide and he weighs about 150lbs.

Ummm... That's a little odd.

That pic doesn't do him justice. That's a big fuggin' turtle!

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picture does make him look small, the gunnels on that boat are 2 1/2 feet wide, it's a 23 foot Jones Brother.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Travis
You sure you never dealt w crabs

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Picture does make him look small, the gunnels on that boat are 2 1/2 feet wide, it's a 23 foot Jones Brother.

Next one you find like that, grab ahold and hold it up for us. grin

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by eyeball

Travis
You sure you never dealt w crabs

That has been covered.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They ain't got to do no necropsy or autopsy or any other opsy on that stinkin thing. It's plain as day it got whacked with a propeller & even if it didn't get whacked with a propeller that's close enough. The results are the same as if it got whacked with a propeller.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
cool

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mike, I got a good look at the shell, crushed straight down by an azzhole hauling azz in his sixty foot boat. Same boat tore a floating dock off and into the aiww. And no I did not get it's name, something my boat driver has reminded me of several times, "you always get the name" or "I can't believe you didn't get the name".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dead snapping turtles smell bad too...I can only imagine.. sick

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike, I got a good look at the shell

Whacked by a propeller weren't it ?

That's OK though sombody's gettin a big govmint grant to stir around in that stinkin critters stinkin insides & write down on a piece of paper "whacked by a propeller"

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, not any prop marks on it, trust me I know what prop marks look like. And the turtle folks are all volunteers, as far as I know both the Holdens Beach folks and the Topsail Island hospital are not state/federal funded.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont know why but dead reptiles smell worse than any other dead critter....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.