Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am thinking about buying one. What do you think about this rifle good or bad. Thanks Tom

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have the Varmint in 17HMR and it is an absolute tack driver. My only complaint is the relatively high bolt hrow which forces me to set the scope up high... I much prefer a scope down close to bore axis for consistent cheek weld.

I popped a crow at 120 yards the other day and he essentially exploded... those 17 grain VMAX pills are impressive on small pests.

I'd say that if you are OK with the high cheek weld, you really cannot go wrong with a CZ...they are well made and most guys seem to get a shooter right out of the box.

T
T
I've got a CZ 453 in 22 LR. It is a tack driver with either the set trigger or normal trigger pull, both of which are very crisp and light. The trigger is easily adjustable. I use mine for tree squirrel hunting and it does an excellect job. My rifle likes CCI SV but shoots Federal Champion or Eagle almost as well at 25 yards, my typical shooting distance. It will not chamber Blazer ammo, however, which I understand from others that this is common with the CZ 22 rifle. I also have the CZ 452 varmint rifle in .22 LR and it shoots equally as well as the CZ 453.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by savage223
I am thinking about buying one. What do you think about this rifle good or bad. Thanks Tom

Enjoy!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._453_in_22LR_absolute_satisf#Post6398174

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have the 453 American, and with Federal Bulk ammo, it will cut staples out of the target at 25 yards with pretty fair regularity. wink I am not a fan of the set trigger, but I do love the adjustability of the regular one -- co creep, no overtravel. One hole groups are the norm when my old eyes do their stuff.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by savage223

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy Tom... smile

I'd look "hard" at the CZ453 "Varmint" model with the single-set trigger. It has a heavy barrel and two action screws (for fine-turning the accuracy)... and I am firmly believe that a heavy barrel will be more accurate then a standard barrel. If this wasn't true, then why would the fellas who shoot in rifle matches all use rifles with heavy barrels?

And a finely-turned single-set trigger is also an accuracy aid. I learned to love the single set triggers when I had my gunsmith install a German Kepplinger single-set trigger on my Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI") with it's full-length Mannlicher-style stock in 7x57mm.

Shooting that rifle "spoiled" me for the single-set trigger and I truly like the CZ453 which comes with a factory-installed single-set trigger.

After closing the bolt on the CZ453, you simply push the single trigger FORWARD to "set" it. Therefore, if you wish, you can choose to shoot the single-set trigger or simply use the standard trigger by NOT pushing the trigger forward prior to firing the rifle.

The CZ453 also has the advantage of having 2 action screws. Not all CZ models have TWO action screws... and 2 action screws gives the owner a wider choice of setting the downward screw pressure on the action.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I own a couple of the 452 series (varmint and FS model)and they are well worth the money and very accurate and dependable. I havent heard anything but good reviews about the 453 series.

dave

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Might go on over to RimfireCentral.com and do some reading on the CZ forum---lots of info and informed folks there.

I've got 2 452s but no 453, so can't comment.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I each have a 452 American, a lefty and a righty. Like them lots. No experience on the 453 which I believe is only different in the trigger.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd look "hard" at the CZ453 "Varmint" model with the single-set trigger. It has a heavy barrel and two action screws (for fine-turning the accuracy)... and I am firmly believe that a heavy barrel will be more accurate then a standard barrel. If this wasn't true, then why would the fellas who shoot in rifle matches all use rifles with heavy barrels?

I use to think that as well. Not so sure any more. My sons CZ 16" barrel scout is every bit as accurate as my 452, 20" heavy barrel, 2 action screw, varmint. It would depend on what kind of shooting I'd be doing to say which one would be more accurate. Off the bench probably the varnmint. Extended firing off hand the Scout.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,763 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.