Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any good ideas for a backpacking tripod for use with a canon DSLR and 300 mm zoom and other lighter cameras? Looking at a Manfrotto 7322YB M-Y Tripod with Ball Head as a possibility.

Fred

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a camera???

I'd take a chunk of 1/4x20 allthread and cut it off about 18" long, then grind a point on one end. You have all the time in the world to take pretty pictures.

Now if we were talking about a set-up for a spotter that you'd put in a backpack, this group could waste considerable bandwidth.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Fred,

If you want to stop by the store sometime, I can bring my Slik and a couple different heads that I use.

Ed T

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Give the Outdoorsmans Tripods a look. They are solid, durable and made in the USA

Brunton also makes 2 nice tripods one in Aluminum and one in Carbon.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take a look at a Gorillapod and see if will work for you. It's short but it can wrap around fence posts, tree limbs, and about anything else that's handy. You'd need the SLR-Zoom model for a DSLR.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks everybody- Some good ideas here.
Ed, I'll take you up on that one of these days.

Fred

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Just let me know when Fred. It would be good to visit with you anyway.

Ed T

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I know an Alaskan professional guide who does a LOT of video work. He said that the SLIK Sprint II is the lightest weight that will be stable and is rugged enough for the back country.

I have one and it wears a Manfrotto head.

http://www.google.com/search?q=slik+spirit+mini+II&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Vanguard Carbon Fiber Espod
2lbs for a full sized tripod and its not super expensive either.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Slik pro624cf with the lower leg extensions removed for 30in height, 15.5 collapsed. Really Right Stuff BH-25PF ballhead. Whole thing weighs <28oz. rock solid mountain tripod.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 07/10/12.

Ahh, nice marmot
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
And just be aware that with that zoom you may have to think thru tripod weight vs camera stability. In addition to the link I provided for a stable one, here's a tripod that's about 8 ounces, if it helps:

https://snipepod.com/V2Tripod.html

I'd test any lightweight tripod before you go to make sure it actually provides the capabilities you require.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Fishkilla
Slik pro624cf with the lower leg extensions removed for 30in height, 15.5 collapsed. Really Right Stuff BH-25PF ballhead. Whole thing weighs <28oz. rock solid mountain tripod.

Nice idea. If you remove the lower legs, do you cap the leg ends to prevent dirt from getting in them, and if so, how?

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Not capped although I asked around about that and Tru Value has a good assortment of rubber ends that could fit various Dia. legs. I twisted the tensioners (is that a word) back on and even though thet dont seal the end they provide protection and I know they wont come off. I little rinse alleviates any dirt issues.

Ahh, nice marmot
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Yeah, my suggestion is going to be a little on the light side for a full size DSLR and a 300mm. When Im out with the Camera (7D/100-400) I take a much larger setup. Gitzo 2531 and a Markins Q10, that setup weighs 4lbs but I get quality images even in a stiff breeze.

The Slik is for spotter and DSLR with 17-55 use only. I havnt actually tried the 100-400 on the lighter pod.

Last edited by Fishkilla; 07/10/12.

Ahh, nice marmot
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I like the idea of using a Manfrotto tripod with the quick release heads since I have three other Manfrotto tripods and two of them use the same quick release heads.
When I started this thread, I should have pointed out that I already have three serious tripods, a Bogen (now Manfrotto)3040, another somewhat smaller Manfrotto with a 3030 head, and a third, the lightest, a Manfrotto 3001 with a 486RC2 ball head on it. That is fast becoming my favorite.
I also have a couple of cheap tripods that I use for my chronograph.
I have started to get interested in macro photography and am doing a couple of hikes a week where I just take the bare essentials. I just want a light tripod that will support my Canon SX10 which is a very light camera. I am getting sick of being ignorant of all the plants and bugs I see, so I'm taking pictures and doing research when I get back home. National Geographic isn't going to be begging for my work anytime soon, but I am having fun.
Now I am going to research the good suggestions I got here:).
Thanks everyone.

Fred

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Royce

I have started to get interested in macro photography

One of the features to look at of course is how low the tripod can place the camera to the ground. That's one of the things I like about the SLIK Sprint II -- the legs go flat like a spider so it gets the camera virtually level with the ground, and I sure that other tripods do as well, but perhaps not all of them.

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
375hh
Thanks for the info- Going to take a look at that one.

Fred

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Slik Sprint II is what I have as well. Good, light tripod.

Ed T

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Gitzo carbon fiber is lightweight and stiff.
http://www.gitzo.us/series-1-carbon-6x-tripod-3-section-with-g-lock

With it I use a Novoflex MagicBall Ballhead w/ the handle removed, to save weight (just use the tensioning knob).
http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/ball-heads/magicball/

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys might already be doing this. If you can hang some weight on your tripod it really helps stabilize it. You can usually find a way to use your pack or any of your heavier stuff bags as that weight. That said, when the winds are really howling you have to keep everything compact and as close to the ground as you can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 4,158 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,808
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.