Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Folks, call them pickerel, or walleye, how do you like to fix them? I have done it myself of course, but I like to learn new ways.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Need to have:
1. Fry pan
2. Butter
3. Heat source
4. Plate and fork
5. Salt and pepper
6. Appetite is a given for me. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dredge in Drakes or similar then fry in peanut oil. Serve as is with Red Lobster tartar sauce or make a sandwich with the tartar and a nice crusty roll.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Debone and de-skin obviuosly.

Eggwash, batter with Italian Breadcrumbs (IE Parmasean cheese), some pepper, and crushed red peppers.

Fry it up, bon apetite..

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Beer battered & deep fried for me,probably not the healthiest way to serve them up,but it is my fav!

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, Thank you for your intrest in my quest for the prefect fillet. The instructions look a bit rudimentary but reflect my literary, and culinary skills.

BWalker, What is Drakes?

BlueLk, Some of the pickerel were caught in your backyard.

These all look great. Please keep them coming. Richard.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Simply dredge the Filets in "chicken" shake and bake, and fry them in butter on medium high heat. Good eating and the way my Canadian guide fixes them for shore lunch. -Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Richard,

Hard to improve on a simple butter-fried pickerel fillet. Mom used to cook them that way, and she raised a couple full-sized men on that. Add moose steaks slow cooked on the BarBQ and it's the NWO version of surf and turf.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a change of pace from frying, my wife takes the fillets & lays them out on a greased cookie sheet. She then takes some premade wild rice & spreads it on top of the fillets. She then rolls them up & holds them closed with a toothpick. She stands the on end & bakes them. When done she pours some kind of cream sauce over them.
Good stuff.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, It is hard to know when you are kidding, or being serious. I thought I would have a look at everyone's idea of best.If the pickerel are freash enough, it's hard to do it "wrong".
We are having our retired veterinarian, and his charming wife in tomorrow night.Is there a pattern of hosting veterinarians for a meal?
You keep tormenting me with the moose steaks. Save one for me! Richard.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Richard,

Hard to improve on a simple butter-fried pickerel fillet. Mom used to cook them that way, and she raised a couple full-sized men on that. Add moose steaks slow cooked on the BarBQ and it's the NWO version of surf and turf.

Need to add some Ruffed Grouse breasts(bone in)to the menu as an appetizer. A slice of Granny Smith apple laid in the inside of the breast, a couple of slices of maple smoked bacon on the meaty side. Wrap in foil and place in the coals for about 10-15 mins. The apple turns to sauce and soaks into the meat, the bacon cooks on the otherside and provides just a touch of flavour. Ice cold beer of your choice......

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Fin, Feather, and Fur! Gotta love it.

Richard,

I am a man of simple tastes and intelect (if I have any either taste or intelect.) I do prefer my pickerel just fried in butter with some salt and pepper, and maybe a couple slices of good multigrain bread and butter. Salad, and a nice glass of sweet tea. Moose steaks optional, but high on the list when available.

If we get a tag and drop one, moose steaks on us.

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, Hack into the MNR computer, get a tag. I'll drive my ole Stude, both horns honkin',chase the moose right to your front steps.
BUT!, this is fishing season! I need to row the boat to work off the good food I have enjoyed thus far.
Pickerel, and the odd other fishes now, the red meats this fall. I am waiting on my P.A.L. to make it simpler to pack up the 20 gauge for the grouse.
Pickerel for now. Richard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you catch them, cut out the cheeks and eat them raw. I speak the truth here in that you will never taste a sweeter more succulent treat. The Cree call them bougee which is a bastardised French for cheeks.

In my older post heart attack days I use ground flax for breading and extra virgin olive oil for n panfrying otherwise no change from Ma Boomhower's original method.

Randy

Last edited by medicman; 07/11/12.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Randy, A few months back when you were talking up the fresh cheeks, I thought is was, a bit ah, different. When a friend was cleaning my prickerel, and neatly cleaning the cheek flesh, I wanted to eat some on the spot. You fellows are making me home sick again. Richard.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Randy,

Remember the platters full of fresh pickerel we used to eat at Mom and Dad's? Man, they was good. Course that was back before the Americans fished out all the good lakes and dropped the limit from 6 to 4. laugh

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
In a fry pan use enough coconut oil to get about 1/8" in the pan.
Crush up corn flakes, add salt, pepper, dried chili and sugar to taste.
Egg wash and roll 1" strips of fillet in the corn flake mix and into the hot pan.
Serve with sour cream mixed into your favorite salsa. Goes great on hard tacos this way as well.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Limit? Limit? What is this limit thing of what you speak? KIDDING!
When the fishing is good, the four fish limit is sort of a drag, but I do think the fishing has improved with it in effect.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thank you all. I would like to try all the recipes.
We used a batter mix my son had, Rocky Madsen's Fish Crisp.I tried to have the oil hot enough before the prickerel went in. Not bad,if I do say so myself.
Next time, something different. Thanks again!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just when I had thought there was no way to improve deep fried battered walleye fillets, I came upon two tricks that I think improve the taste even more! First when mixing the batter, I use vanilla soy milk rather than water or beer. It imparts a slightly sweet taste to the batter...I know it sounds different, but tastes good. The next improvement I've found 99% of folks agreed with. Once the fillet is battered, and before hitting the oil, lay it on a plate of Panko, which are Japanese bread crumbs. I prefer the plain Panko. The resulting fillets will be golden brown with a crumb texture, the Panko really gives nothing more than a nice crunchy outer shell. Give it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,121
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.