Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The home of the late great cowgirl, Bobby Brooks Kramer, burned last winter but her adopted son, Gary Crowder, 66, salvaged asome memorabilia. Bobby was a lady bronc rider who rode without hobbled stirrups, a pioneer cowgirl pilot, and an AQHA competitor in many events, especially cutting. Gary gave me several boxes of stuff saved from the fire including all of Bobby's AQHA stud books and copies of old issues of The Western Horseman and The Quarter Horse Journal. Most of the magazines aren't real old, primarily 1972-1975 (gad, the fashion styles were terrible then!) but I have certainly enjoyed revisiting these. In my opinion the Western Horseman was a much better magazine then. A lot more history. And the Quarter Horse Journal was not as flashy as it is now. I guess I am becoming a complete nostalgic curmudgeon living in the past. Here's a link to an article I did a few years ago about Gary:

http://johnlmoore.com/GaryCrowder.htm

The wife just came in and gave me some bad news. My friend Charley Snell had a horse fall on him today and has been air-flighted to a hospital unconscious. Charley is the clinician and saddlemaker who lives near Fossil, Oregon. Charley had assisted Buck Brannaman with a clinic just this past weekend.

I need to find a home for Bobby Kramer's set of AQHA stud books.

Last edited by mtrancher; 07/11/12.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Prayers sent for Mr. Snell.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the prayers, Bobbalee. Charley is getting a CAT Scan today but so far it appears he has come through this with only a broken bone behind one ear and this is effecting his hearing. He also has badly bruised ribs. Charley is 65 and is a former jockey so he's really slight.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems to be a rough year on clinicians. Hope the trend does not continue!

Best wishes and prayers to Mr Snell.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Charley doing a clinic last year.[Linked Image]

Turns out Charley didn't fracture just any bone.http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/857365-overview

They're keep him in the hospital for another day. He has a pretty bad concussion.

Last edited by mtrancher; 07/12/12.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hes telling them to relax but has their entire attention. pretty impressive with one hors much less three. wishing him the best.

I always thought it was because I was young that WH seemed better till I found a couple of old copies from my childhood. They were better back then.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When Dick Spencer and crew were operating the WH,it was indeed alot better. It was based here in Colorado Springs and they had a little corral and round pen out back.Several times when I had problems.I would haul down there and Dick would help me out free of charge.He was sure handy witha rope. Then he passed away and a few others left.They got a new crew in and it started to go down hill.Then an out side company bought them and finally moved the whole she bang to South Carolina I think it was.It ain't fit to use in the back privy now if you got one.

The old WH building sits empty on North Nevada Ave and still has the old sign up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Charley fractured the temporal bone, the place in the temple where you can kill someone with a strong blunt hit. We probably won't know until tomorrow if there are any lasting effects.

Dick Spencer was a good guy. He endorsed my first book years ago. I had a very good working relationship with Randy Witte. Our daughter was married in The Springs (that little log chapel in Monument) and I took time to go down to the headquarters and see Randy. It hasn't been the same since he left. The new corporate offices are in Fort Worth, I believe, although who knows were the parent company is?

I got fed up with the new staff lately and told them they were turning the grand ole Western Horseman into another American Cowboy. The new version of the Western Horseman makes them look like shills for the leading horse clinicians. I weary of all the "style" stuff. I can't afford to spend $6000 on a saddle, $2500 for a bit, $600 for a hat, $2000 for spurs, $300 for ropes, and $900 for boots. I've met guys trying to do this while making $900 a month plus board.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could take the silver lacing out of the cantle for $5,500.
That way you can get the $600.00 designer chinks. chaps. it bleeped chienks.

Last edited by RichardAustin; 07/13/12.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Charley is home. Turns out the horse didn't fall on him. He's not sure what happened but thinks it could have been heat stroke. He is deaf in one ear for now and has headaches and bruised ribs. He had to cancel this weekend's clinic and has another one next weekend. Thanks for the prayers and support.
I had another friend hurt two weeks ago at a branding. 60 years old. Heading and heeling calves. He had a concussion, broken collar bone and three broken ribs. We all have to be as careful as we can, especially those of us over 50.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glad it isn't as serious as was initially thought! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

May your other friend heal quickly as well!

L
L
here is a complete list of horse magazines http://www.laralist.org/horse-magazines/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (1lesfox, 44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,060 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,417
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.