Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
PMC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a friend who is a missionary in the RSA. He is a hunter and reloads. I would like to surprise him with some new brass but am unsure what the regs are for shipping components. What would be the best way to get it there?

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A out the only legal way is to gift him your ammo when you go over on a hunt. Also, send him cash so he can buy what he needs.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 07/12/12.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
PMC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To clarify, I am not talking about loaded ammo. Just brass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brass only, no primers, no powder and no projectiles no problem. Downscale on the value so your friend will not pay too much import duty.

I presume this is shipped to South Africa?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
A out the only legal way is to gift him your ammo when you go over on a hunt.

Technically that's illegal under the current act and doubly so if they're handloads, so probably not a good idea to suggest it on a public forum.

The easiest & cheapest way is to contact a gun shop or Ken Stewart of Stewart Bullets in RSA & have them post the brass to your friend. You can usually pay with a credit card number or if not by EMT.

Last edited by Shakari; 07/12/12.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B2

PMC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM me if you need ken Stewart's contact details.

He can make any and I do mean ANY calibre of case or bullet.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145261

just mark the package FAST and FURIOUS and they will let it through

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't even try it. RSA has no problem with it coming in, but the US does with it going out. I got to talking to a forum member, and found they had gotten a couple of 99 Savages, but had no brass, etc. for them. I scrounged around and found some 300S. and 250Savage brass for him, and he'd ordered a 100 bullets for the 300S.. I packed them up, and sent them off..never got there. HUH? then get a letter from Customs/HLS, to the effect that brass alone is considered a military material, and illegal to send. I could obtain a license from State Dept to ship something like that on a one time basis, so started investigating that end, but was told, OH, it won't apply to this stuff. We can dispose of it, or you can send use $250 to get it back..since I didn't have anywhere near $250 in it (once fired brass, cleaned and deprimed, etc)..told them to dispose of it. About a month back for a "visit" from Homeland Security, Customs, explaining to me that shipping any brass, bullets, etc., is considered military stuff, and absent a license from State, is ILLEGAL and a SERIOUS FELONY.. since, before being informed by us, you didn't know it was illegal,and we've investigated the other guy and see he's just a hunter, as you noted, we'll let it slide "this time" but don't do it again.. these folks had somehow, gone back and had the e-mails between this guy and I, HIS order for the bullets from a place in Tennessee, etc. my mention of some 458 Lott brass for another person (last years PH) that I'd asked him if he could forward, when his stuff got there, etc.. no barrels etc. either..

SO, DON'T DO IT. Shook me some, as I do own guns and want to keep on being able to.

Much as I think it's BS, it's the law. I think folks who are hunters like us, we should be able to work with, but they said, how do YOU know they aren't some terrorist troll.. trying to get stuff. I told them, I hardly though a 100 bullets and a bunch of empty brass was going to help a terrorist much, and the cartridges and rifles were never used for military purposes.. but not relavent, so DON"T DO IT...

Ghost
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by ghost
Don't even try it. RSA has no problem with it coming in, but the US does with it going out. I got to talking to a forum member, and found they had gotten a couple of 99 Savages, but had no brass, etc. for them. I scrounged around and found some 300S. and 250Savage brass for him, and he'd ordered a 100 bullets for the 300S.. I packed them up, and sent them off..never got there. HUH? then get a letter from Customs/HLS, to the effect that brass alone is considered a military material, and illegal to send. I could obtain a license from State Dept to ship something like that on a one time basis, so started investigating that end, but was told, OH, it won't apply to this stuff. We can dispose of it, or you can send use $250 to get it back..since I didn't have anywhere near $250 in it (once fired brass, cleaned and deprimed, etc)..told them to dispose of it. About a month back for a "visit" from Homeland Security, Customs, explaining to me that shipping any brass, bullets, etc., is considered military stuff, and absent a license from State, is ILLEGAL and a SERIOUS FELONY.. since, before being informed by us, you didn't know it was illegal,and we've investigated the other guy and see he's just a hunter, as you noted, we'll let it slide "this time" but don't do it again.. these folks had somehow, gone back and had the e-mails between this guy and I, HIS order for the bullets from a place in Tennessee, etc. my mention of some 458 Lott brass for another person (last years PH) that I'd asked him if he could forward, when his stuff got there, etc.. no barrels etc. either..

SO, DON'T DO IT. Shook me some, as I do own guns and want to keep on being able to.

Much as I think it's BS, it's the law. I think folks who are hunters like us, we should be able to work with, but they said, how do YOU know they aren't some terrorist troll.. trying to get stuff. I told them, I hardly though a 100 bullets and a bunch of empty brass was going to help a terrorist much, and the cartridges and rifles were never used for military purposes.. but not relavent, so DON"T DO IT...

I can second this, I'm the guy that was supposed to be on the receiving end! In South Africa there are no restrictions on the movement of brass & bullets, only on powder & primers. There are several shops locally that will post brass for you, Safari & Outdoor, Zimbi Books ,Camdix; they all carry a good selection of reloading components, you can pay by credit card too. Safari & Outdoor has got an online shop.

IC B3

PMC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the information. I will look into it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 987 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.