Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
My Garmin 765 give up yesterday so I am looking for a new one. I don't have any preference on maker but I want lifetime maps, traffic and text to speech. Bluetooth not a must. $200 + or -

What say the 'fire users

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would replace it with another Garmin of your choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2D Navigation (Paper Maps/Universal Maps brand is my fav) wins out every time...... 1.5 million miles driving truck and hasn't let me down yet.

Last edited by k20350; 07/11/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still running a Garmin Nuvi here and will get another when it dies.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Garmin NUVI 1300, though I rarely use it.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've tried quite a few different ones for work.
A couple of months ago we did a shuffle round of vehicles and put all the GPS units in a pile.
Of all the units there the one everyone wanted was the old Garmin, it's about 5 years old but it's still better than the newer ones, easier to use, better display, more basic and a clearer voice.

One thing they all have in common, at least here, is that they will at times tell you to turn where there is no road to turn onto.
A number of tourists have gone off the road crossing the hills behind us because their GPS said to turn right, the problem being where it says to turn right there is a pull over area and if you're not aware of it you can easily run off the side of the hill.
Another spot is the next town north from us, as you enter town from the south the GPS tells you to turn right, which would lead you into a concrete manufacturing plant.

The original international turd
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by k20350
2D Navigation (Paper Maps/Universal Maps brand is my fav) wins out every time...... 1.5 million miles driving truck and hasn't let me down yet.

While I tend to agree there is nothing better than a good old fashion map.....
They make it hard to see when driving and...
I can't never those bastides folded up again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As it's been stated, pick up another Nuvi

3 different Nuvi's in my household, one Tom Tom. Tom has slightly better maps, but I hate the thing.

Life is just one damned thing after another
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Whatever brand you get, make sure it comes with free lifetime map updates. My Garmin is pretty outdated in a lot of areas and they want $100 for new map updates.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
W
WJN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT as a replacement for my older Nuvi. (Older one going in the truck) Most if not all of the Nuvis come with lifetime map renewals now. Some - like the 3590 - come with voice command which means there are some things you can do now without using the keypad. You talk to it. They have nicked the security lock - not sure why. Only had this new one about a week but it's pretty good so far. There are a lot of educational/instructive youtube videos on some of these.

Jim

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like my Garmin Nuvi very much, but you still need to carry a map and keep your eyes open when using it. The GPS does 95% of the work, but the 5% can be pretty important.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Another vote for the Nuvi.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nuvi 255 that's a couple years old here. It occasionally freezes up but I just switch it off and back on and it works fine. I'd buy another Nuvi.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a "differnt brand" a few years ago,took it home and tried to update the maps online for a few hours,called customer service,couldnt understand what the person was trying to say,so I boxed it up took it back,and bought a garmin with lifetime maps and traffic.

Sales girl told me at least 1/2 of the "different brand " sold get returned.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had a Rand McNally tripmaker 7710 with lifetime maps for about a month now and am very happy with it. It is designed for RV's, with lots of useful info such as whats at the next exit. So far so good.

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought another Nuvi w/lifetime maps about two weeks ago for $99 at WM.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The Nuvi is a really good GPS for the $$. I was able to load the BLM maps, topo maps, game units, and migrations paths on to it in addition to the street maps which makes it really cool. Like others have said get the lifetime maps.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DP4

The Nuvi is a really good GPS for the $$. I was able to load the BLM maps, topo maps, game units, and migrations paths on to it in addition to the street maps which makes it really cool. Like others have said get the lifetime maps.

Cool!

I'd never have to get out of the truck to hunt... wink

But seriously, it sure looks like the Nuvi is WAY ahead among the denizens of the Campfire!

John

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T LEE
Still running a Garmin Nuvi here and will get another when it dies.
I have one also - and it sucks compared to the previous machine I had - a Garmin Street Pilot 2620...

The latter could (via remote or manual) switch to 'page 2' which gave, in order, the next few turns with distances to, etc...

The Nuvi I have doesn't have that feature.. Maybe I didn't get the right model - but I miss the Street Pilot..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I got a 3590LMT a few days ago. So far I don't like it as much as my old Garmin. I can't turn the sound up high enough, I can't figure how to zoom in without going to mapview settings, I don't like the woman's voice and even though the screen is wider than my old Garmin the writing is so small I have to lean forward to be able to read it sometimes. I can go to map viewsetting and zoom in but when I go back to view map the zoom in is gone. I didn't realize you could use voice commands. It didn't come with any detailed instructions. I guess I'll check out the Garmin website and youtube.

Last edited by victoro; 07/13/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,568
Posts18,491,848
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.