-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone have any experience with these guys? Looks like they do some backpack hunting.

www.pro-guiding.com

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Didnt wade through that Mark, but theres a guy named Wambach over there noted for his backpack hunts....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I can put you in touch with the head of the Namibian PH organization, and sure he can give you the low down. Need to get his e-mail address, and can't do it from here. Name's Volker Grellman, and been a PH himself, as well as set up hunts for folks for years (Anvo consultants). Booked J O'Connor for his hunt in Namibia in 72, and mine.

Ghost
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
okay, Anvo is anvomweb.com.na, and Volker is at

vgrellmanmweb.com.na since he's head of the PH organization, sure he knows everyone that's a PH.

Last edited by ghost; 06/23/12.

Ghost
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well...Volker won't give a bad recommendation for any Namibian PH.

If it is John Wambachs company, I would check him very carefully before sending money. Of course, that goes for any outfitter. Just more so with Wambach.

If it is a backback/hiking hunt you want, I can recommend Gert Van der Walt in Namibia. He is young and just starting out but has been PHing for several years. I took a leopard and plains game with him in 2006 when he worked for another outfit.

His English is a bit fractured, but he knows his business.

If you're interested, I'll see if I can find his contact info and who books for him here in the U.S.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My initial thought was, and sort of remains, why would anyone want to do a backpack hunt in Namibia. This isn't an area where you do (relatively) short hikes (10 miles or less) and set up a tent somewhere. You're , it seems, either into game, or not. And, you also need some way to get it back out. You will do spot and stalk okay, with the range rover, or whatever. Then the animal is gutted right there, normally, though when I was in RSA last year, it was taken all the way back to the skinning shed before even being gutted. Need a quick way to move it. If hiking, you'd still need a radio to call the main camp with and say, come out here and pick up this X. We did that in Namibia when shooting there. Twice we had to call the main house and say, send a truck out to collect these steenbok, or oryx or whatever, so we could continue hunting.. NO animals left out there to rot, or something. All meat is saved and used..the hides are sold, etc..

I was recommending Volker because he does know them all, and could point a person towards someone who does backpack hunts.

Ghost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ghost
My initial thought was, and sort of remains, why would anyone want to do a backpack hunt in Namibia. This isn't an area where you do (relatively) short hikes (10 miles or less) and set up a tent somewhere. You're , it seems, either into game, or not. And, you also need some way to get it back out. You will do spot and stalk okay, with the range rover, or whatever. Then the animal is gutted right there, normally, though when I was in RSA last year, it was taken all the way back to the skinning shed before even being gutted. Need a quick way to move it. If hiking, you'd still need a radio to call the main camp with and say, come out here and pick up this X. We did that in Namibia when shooting there. Twice we had to call the main house and say, send a truck out to collect these steenbok, or oryx or whatever, so we could continue hunting.. NO animals left out there to rot, or something. All meat is saved and used..the hides are sold, etc..

I was recommending Volker because he does know them all, and could point a person towards someone who does backpack hunts.

Actually, Namibia is one of the places one can go for a backpack hunt. Fabulous terrain, truly demanding hunting, and a unique experience. Safari Hunters Journal did a show recently. http://www.wildtv.ca/preview/3026

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want a really good hunt get ahold of Johnny Schickerling, Agarob Hunting Safaris agarobiway.na They hunt horseback and have lots of game,low fence,fair chase hunt.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The two sections of Namibia I hunted in, you couldn't really do a backpack hunt, may be parts I don't know about where it'd work. But I guess it depends on your definition of a backpack hunt and to me that connotes, backpacking into an area, setting up a tent camp, and hunting from there, like in going into the Wrangles in Alaska for sheep. I'll check out the site. Thanks.

Ghost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunted with John Wambach in 2004. Killed two bull elephants, but did not get a shot on lion. We were in the Caprivi Strip of Namibia, and camp was just across the Chobe River from Botswana.
I liked John and have no complaints.
For pix, see my link below, and go to Caprivi 2004.

Last edited by SteveG; 07/12/12.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not seeing any " caprivi 2004"......

help me out...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Fost!

Cool Stuff Steve! laugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,662
Posts18,512,891
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.