Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Animal Kills Namibian Poacher in Self-Defense

Police in the south African nation of Namibia are wrapping up their investigation of the death of a poacher at the horn of the animal he was trying to kill. The incident occurred at Mururani village, which is about 81 miles (130 km) south of Rundu in the northern part of the country on Saturday.

Johannes Wihinda, 44, died when a kudu�s horn penetrated the left side of his chest, according to Willie Bampton, a regional police official.

Wihinda had trapped the kudu with a wire-trap and was trying to finish the job with an axe when the kudu managed to pierce Wihinda�s chest with its horn. Wihinda died on the spot. His next of kin has already been notified.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it only could happen to rhino poachers also.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rough way to go

You can shear a sheep many times.But you can only skin him once!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moore
Rough way to go

Naw, twas a good way for him to go.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just don't feel sorry for a poacher.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't either--unless he's desperate for meat to feed his family.

Have wondered in recent years why it's considered legal to shoot poachers on sight in Africa, but not in North America.
Especially when a lot of trophy poaching goes on in and around North American national parks, and nobody ever considers shooting those poachers.

Was in Tanzania last September when we ran into half a dozen poachers next to a waterhole. The PH tried to get a shot at them, and the next day a "poaching patrol" killed 5 of the 6 poachers several miles away.

That sort of enforcement is applauded in Africa, even though most of the poachers caught or killed are even poorer than the trophy poachers in the U.S., who generally get fined but don't usually serve a jail term.

I realize the wild game of Africa is getting scarcer and scarcer, but it's not just due to poaching. A lot of it is due to the vast increase in humans, and the poverty of Africa.

Why don't we legalize shooting elk poachers in America, without benefit of trial?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Liberals and the new age pansy-fying of America. Its not the poachers fault, they were raised in a bad home with hormone fed beef and non-organic chemical covered produce. Probably bullied in school as well. Its not their fault they are criminals.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
nobody ever considers shooting those poachers.

Oh, I dunno. With judicious application of the SSS approach, it may at times make sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well...I don't know his circumstances. A kudu would be killed for meat. People sometimes get awfully hungry, and so does their family.

When young and with a new baby I had a real tough time and needed to "take" a few deer by moonlight to put meat on the table. It was that or beg.

Poaching is a big problem many places in the world. Before the white man arrived it was called hunting. shocked wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly.

But I'm not talking about black or white. I'm simply asking why it's fine to shoot poachers on sight on the other side of the world and not here. And not all poachers "over there" are black, or just out for profit.

And since when was an animal's life more important than a human's? That sounds a lot like what the "animal rights" folks say.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because "over there" human life is not afforded the same value as we do here and poachers over here do not pose the same threat to wildlife-total extinction or to people. While what you say about men trying to feed their families is true, many are in it for the commercial value and often-times they'll kill anybody that discovers them in the act.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
When last in Zim, I was told we could shoot elephant or rhino poachers on sight. We found a poached elephant but no elephant poachers. I would not have shot one. I heard about someone who did and the poacher turned out tone some government minister's son.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Damn, if you're having to kill a kudu with a snare and an axe, you're not a poacher, you're just trying to survive. Effin' poachers use AKs and SKSs,and headlamps, and sell the meat, ivory, etc for money, booze, or women. No body is gonna make a profit with snares and axes. Alaskan natives are allowed moose and caribou for the pot and are not considered poachers--even when shot with rifles. Shouldn't be any different for these poor bastards.

Last edited by SteveG; 07/12/12.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SteveG
Damn, if you're having to kill a kudu with a snare and an axe, you're not a poacher, you're just trying to survive. Effin' poachers use AKs and SKSs,and headlamps, and sell the meat, ivory, etc for money, booze, or women. No body is gonna make a profit with snares and axes. Alaskan natives are allowed moose and caribou for the pot and are not considered poachers--even when shot with rifles. Shouldn't be any different for these poor bastards.
+1, I seen a [bleep] load of poverty in Africa.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,729
Posts18,514,326
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.