Print Thread
Hop To
Page 939 of 1,842 1 2 937 938 939 940 941 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Did it start in gear or did you have to put it in "N"?

Neutral (N) although most of them could be started in gear after a few years when the neutral safety switch went out. Ford used the "P,R,N,D,L" pattern from the get go. Eventually it became the industry standard.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So how many trannies did Grandpa Joe go through?

The GM hydromatics of the 50's could be shifted into reverse at high speeds. Needless to say the results were not good. We had a customer that did it to his 57 Pontiac. sick

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I know a guy, Dusty knows him too.

As a young man, he was quite fond of the push button shifted automatic transmission in his old car. grin (mopar I think)

Stomp the gas pedal to the floor in "P", hold it to the floor and press the "R" button.... Then the "D", then the "R", Then the "D", repeat, repeat, repeat!!

Smoke filled the air, tires howling, transmission, ring and pinion gears clunking....

Oh my god.... What an A-hole!! laffin!! grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
who: Dad, brother, uncle, cousin, cousin-inlaw
when: early this week
where: Algoma WI/Lake Michigan
What: Kings and steelhead
Why: to feed the grill

It was a quick trip, left at 330 am and was back at 7 pm the next day. Used a charter called Kinns Katch and I would recommend them again (in fact we rebooked for next year). Best bite happened between 3:45 am and 5:00 am. brought back 32 of them, prolly 2/3s kings.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Awesome!

Just kidding about the lake of the woods thing.

The water color is way off for LOW.

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave

As a young man, he was quite fond of the push button shifted automatic transmission in his old car. grin (mopar I think)

Stomp the gas pedal to the floor in "P", hold it to the floor and press the "R" button.... Then the "D", then the "R", Then the "D", repeat, repeat, repeat!!

Smoke filled the air, tires howling, transmission, ring and pinion gears clunking....

Don't doubt that you could do this with the early auto trans. My uncle would let me use his 57 Merc, which had push buttons and it was great fun to back out of a spot (fast) and pop it in drive without stopping first. Kinda hard on the trany and the tires.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Looks like it was fun BM. I need to get hold of an old class mate. We talked about making the salmon run this year.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
it was fun, but it was also a little different. it was brainless fishing (I joked that to practice, just go winch up a boat). having everything done for you (put out the lines, take the fish off, clean the fish, etc) was weird. This isnt a replacement for a good old Canadian DIY trip, but it was fun nonetheless.

Speaking of Canadian DIY trips, I am going to take the 8 year old girl on her first Cananda trip soon. I am really looking forward to it and I really hope she can tie into a 10 pound northern!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I really hope she can tie into a 10 pound northern!

If it's under 20 lbs, you might not be in Canada.

grin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

How many transmissions did you go through Dave? grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman
who: Dad, brother, uncle, cousin, cousin-inlaw
when: early this week
where: Algoma WI/Lake Michigan
What: Kings and steelhead
Why: to feed the grill

It was a quick trip, left at 330 am and was back at 7 pm the next day. Used a charter called Kinns Katch and I would recommend them again (in fact we rebooked for next year). Best bite happened between 3:45 am and 5:00 am. brought back 32 of them, prolly 2/3s kings.

I went out of Kewannee, to the south of where you went. My buddy's dad took me out.

We headed out about the same time in a 17' lund pro sport. It was "sporty" to say the least we came back in when the small craft warning alarm sounded. Even the big ass guide boats were coming back. It was a beautiful day on the water, but windy. Waves had to 6'.

Here is my one and only salmon I've ever caught. They boys on the dock called it a Jumbo, which is a 5 year old. Most die at 4 years old...so they said.
[Linked Image]

It took a grand total of 45 seconds of the line being in the water before it hit. grin It quickly peeled 900' of like. Yes, 900'. I asked Jim if the line counter was right and he said "YES...REEL you have 100' of line left!"

I gained a bunch on him then he ran back out to about 500'. I got him back in, when he hit the floor of the boat, he was done. Like as in never moved again. The tail on that fish when it was spread out was as big as my head. Flat out the most fun fish I've caught to date, including muskies. Muskies give up, that King didn't. Bad ass fish!

The best part was, I left later that morning to go back home and they stayed for the rest of the week. They gave me all the fish they caught the two days prior. We had salmon for most of the year. God was that good fish.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone

How many transmissions did you go through Dave? grin

Oh no it wasn't me, not my style.

I had my own methods for destroying transmissions.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Dave , kind of behind the subject but those pics of the family were great. Shack looks great. It is really fun to see the kids change. I have teen age girls and love the comparison pictures myself.

Some time when I get around to upgrading my cell phone I can then load up a photo bucket and join in on the picture festival on this thread .

We have two hunting shacks in NE MN. One we own with my dad and brother and the other just my wife and I. We spend all fall hunting and every weekend all winter snowmobiling at ours. The winter is the best with all of our little hidden shack community up on weekends and talking on the CB's and gathering somewhere regularly. I am glad to see others have the privilege of a shack as well.

Kirk

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Kirk, welcome to the fire.

I'd love to see your cabin when you get some pics uploaded.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the welcome Tzone.

My iPhone needs to be synced. I have never plugged it in to a computer so it has an old operating system. All of the photo bucket apps are to new now for me to use.

I have been reading this forum for years, only joined it to ask some questions on a PM to one of the gunwriters. I have been afraid to comment on much here. A lot of attacking takes place, and that is not my style.

This seems like a good place to hang out since my entire life has revolved around hunting shacks.

Kirk

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Welcome Kirk. We can always use some new blood around here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have a good time at the Chip Tom.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We won't attack you here. I don't think there has been any on this thread, ever. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

About your phone, it's easy to do. Use your USB cord and plug the one end into your phone, then the other into your computer. It will also charge your phone while you do it. Open an Itunes account while you're at it. Thousands of songs that are $1. Then you don't have to buy a whole album to get a few songs from it you like. Trust me, if I can do it, you can.

Last edited by tzone; 07/14/12.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks Bill. Not leaving for a while yet. Had to get the trans fluid flushed before I towed the boat that far.

I get to fix the wheel bearing and CV boot when I get home. So I have that going for me, which is nice. (bill murry voice)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Welcome Kirk!

Like Tzone said, we would love to see some pics of your shacks.
Its always fun to see what makes them unique.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 939 of 1,842 1 2 937 938 939 940 941 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.