Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

Last night I pulled a stupid which has me questioning my right to reproduce.

I just installed a primer catcher on my Lyman Turret press, having relied before on a five gallon bucket below it.

Well, I was used to blowing loose powder and such off the press. I've done that for years, and without thinking blew into the primer catcher.

Got a face full of primer dust, mostly in my right eye. I flushed it all out and my right eye is still cleaning itself.

Beyond watching for infection, should I be concerned about spiking levels of lead or other metals since I pretty much flooded my mucous membranes with the dust?

I feel pretty dumb, but like pepper spray, I learned from my fail. (The pepper spray was training about 15 years back, but the lesson sticks..!)

Thanks,

Josh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Relax, eat a double dose of Garlic (chelates Lead), and find an eyecup an some sterile rinse.

Hope it clears right up, my friend.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you do, don't get slapped in the face.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Don't think lead should be a problem, however I know that mercury can be a problem (or at least used to be) when primers go off in a closed area (this used to be a problem with indoor ranges with poor ventilation).

As for the eye, alkali and acid fluids/dust can be a problem. Actually, the alkali stuff is worse sometimes, because it can't be neutralized as easily/safely as the acid can.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No mercury in primers since before WWII. I really doubt you could absorb a dangerous amount lead from contact with primer dust.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Folks,

Thank you.

After flushing it, my only concern is the lead.

I'm keeping a close eye on everything for infection. That I know how to deal with.

I did not know about the garlic. That is awesome as I love garlic!

Eyeball, I'll keep an eye out for the particulars you mention. This is my bad eye so I don't really care (what an attitude, right?) but I don't want anything that could spread.

Been thinking about getting a set of glasses though as MOA with iron sights further than 50 yards with 20/45 vision and astigmatism is hard to achieve. Haven't worn glasses in years ascribing to the theory that they're a hindrance in a fight, but I want to break MOA at 100 yards with open sights.

Almost wonder if an eye doctor would be willing to correct down to 20/15 or 20/10. That would be sort of cool...

But yes, I'll keep an "eye out" for symptoms of infection or scratches.

Thanks!

Josh

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You'll be fine. Flush your eyes. eat raw garlic, take some Vit c and a few shots of vodka.

More toxins in your typical Big Mac super size meal

You didn't lose any digits or limbs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or frozen orange juice and shave your junk? laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,439
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.