Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6681309 07/13/12
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Took my cousin out to the range to get him dialed in for tomorrows pig hunt. He is shooting a NIB Winchester Model 70 in 300WSM. After the 5th shot, he cycled the bolt and something that shouldn't happen, happened. His trigger broke in half. Called in customer service and they will send a shipping label so he can send them the gun. Looks like bad casting.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow.

First let me say I'm disappointed w/you. I am sorry it happened.

Will be interesting, which ?? will be asked here.

If no one asks, I will later.

Seriously -- A Win 70! I AM a fan, have a few.

Good Luck, and I mean it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by vital_kill
Took my cousin out to the range to get him dialed in for tomorrows pig hunt. He is shooting a NIB Winchester Model 70 in 300WSM. After the 5th shot, he cycled the bolt and something that shouldn't happen, happened. His trigger broke in half. Called in customer service and they will send a shipping label so he can send them the gun. Looks like bad casting.
That can't happen. Model 70's are bulletproof.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wondered about those new triggers.

`Bring Enough Gun`
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Must have forgoten to kevlar the trigger

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I am a HUGE Model 70 fan, 4 out 5 of my current rifles are model 70. A pre-64 30-06, a classic 30-06, a pre-64 .257 bob and classic .308. I have owned many other Model 70's too and HAVE NEVER experienced anything like this. The trigger seems like it was brittle and weak. We are still assuming a bad cast. I will take pics of it tomorrow and post it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a huge Remington fan and I've never had a bolt handle fall off or a gun discharge while I wasn't pulling the trigger. Accuracy is the reason I keep shooting Remingtons.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ouch!

Pass the pre 64,please.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I understand there are lemons but that would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Roy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Ouch!

Pass the pre 64,please.

OR --- pass the New Haven model ?? confused

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was that a new X-Mark Pro? I hear they have been having issues with trigger shoes breaking.

What? It's a Model 70? Never mind.

But seriously, waiting 'til the day before to sight in?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
unfortunately, stuff happens. go ahead and get that replacement trigger, then shoot cloverleafs.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
are these new winchester trigger blades MIM parts? that seems to be the trend, and it could explain why the trigger is ... brittle

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sorry to hear that...I wish they wouldn't have messed with the original....Damn sob's..... mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KDK
Was that a new X-Mark Pro? I hear they have been having issues with trigger shoes breaking.

What? It's a Model 70? Never mind.

But seriously, waiting 'til the day before to sight in?

I hear that...He probably doesn't have 30 other rifles to choose from like you do either... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I'm a huge Remington fan and I've never had a bolt handle fall off or a gun discharge while I wasn't pulling the trigger. ...

Which doesn't mean it hasn't happened to other people.

Remington's own records show that around 50% of some models were susceptible to the infamous FOR (Fire On Release of the safety) failures when they left the factory. Moreover there have been quite a few documented instances of M70 bolt handles coming off.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The one nice thing about Winchester's CS at the repair shop in Missouri is that you never wait more than 2 minutes to speak with someone when you call.

My rifle was drilled/tapped incorrectly and/or the receiver machined incorrectly. They have decided to replace it but won't get another shipment of M70 Sporters in 30-06 until mid August from the SC factory. So I am waiting until then or so they tell me. Fuggers. Send me a damn super-grade and we'll call it good.

I hope you and your cousin have better luck on turn-around time from them than I am currently experiencing. I bet you will as I bet they'll just throw in a new trigger and function-check/test-fire it and send it back. Seriously, good luck!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Maybe they subcontracted to Remington and bought a few triggers to keep up with demand...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire
Maybe they subcontracted to Remington and bought a few triggers to keep up with demand...

Did someone say, "OUCH"?

Well, no one has asked, maybe the answer is in the 'NIB' part of the OP.

I too speculate the answer but....

Was this a S C model? or...

Was it a New Haven model?

IF a SC model it proves that everything new is not always better.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One o' them new-fangled MOA triggers?

What'd ya know...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1moredeer, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,626
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.