Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

I was diagnosed as needing glasses in junior high school. I hated them from the get-go, and have not had an eye checkup or new glasses since I was 17 or 18. I'm 34 now. I pretty much just stopped wearing the glasses period in my early 20s, so no glasses for about 10 years, give or take.

I figured I didn't need them. Heck, I did this

[Linked Image]

with an iron-sighted (Tech-Sights mod) 10/22 a couple years ago, and proceeded to beat my score using my bolt action Savage with 'scope.

I kept getting told that nobody scores like that at their first Appleseed. This sort of embarrassed me as I simply don't consider myself a particularly good shot. I just shoot a lot and keep in practice. I generally hit where I point the rifle, is what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, since going almost to open sights exclusively, I have had trouble shooting. To do this

[Linked Image]

I had to move all the way back to 60 yards, which I thought was just pitiful.

I was guessing my vision at 20/45 in my left eye and 20/60 in my right.

Figured last night to check for sure. I printed out a full-sized Snellen chart and was sort of taken aback by what I found. Seems I was 20/55 in my left (shooting) eye and over 20/200(!) in my right eye.

No wonder I was having problems.

So I called Mom up. I knew from prior experimentation that we had the same, or close to the same, prescription. I asked her if she had any regular glasses from before she went to bi and tri-focals. Stopped by and got the only pair she could find, and I do rather like them.

At least, as far as I like any prosthetic device. I don't like to depend on them and that's why I insist on BUIS on any 'scoped rifle, and have moved away from 'scopes in general except for the target/squirrel sniper .22 Savage.

[Linked Image]

Ignoring my rather haggard appearance (been working trying to catch up on orders for the past three days, not much sleep), how do they look? The pic on the left was taken by April, my fiance, and the other two were taken by yours truly.

They're a little small and not easily bendable. At least, I don't know how to do it unless they need to be heated. They're made of that spring steel type stuff.

Testing myself again, my right eye is around 20/50, mostly due to astigmatism I can now see, but the treat is that my left eye � my shooting eye! � is right at 20/15, maybe 20/10 in the right light!

I've not shot anything yet, but I will.

I just hate, as I said, depending on prosthetic devices of any sort. They can be lost or broken and don't heal themselves. Still, I think I may go to an eye doctor, have the prescription in the left lens duplicated, and see about getting a better right lens.

Either that, or Lasik so I can just say screw the glasses again!

At least this pair is light and doesn't slide down my nose. But damn, I forgot how restricted my peripheral vision is, and how much less I depend on hearing and smell when I have good vision. Don't know as I like that part.

Anyway, how do those look on me? Reckon I should get wider? I'd like to finish losing weight first as these might be just fine. Still a fat bastage, just not as much as a few months ago.

Thoughts?

Josh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't shoot if you can't see man!

The glasses look fine. One of the foibles of being a human. If that's as bad as you have to work around get down on your knees and thank your maker tonight. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was gonna recommend those 'birth-control frames' mil spec.

But, those will serve you just as well.

laugh

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Middle pic looks stoned and third looks pissed. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
I was gonna recommend those 'birth-control frames' mil spec.

But, those will serve you just as well.

laugh

Actually I'd like one of those. Make me look like Buddy Holley! (Yep, I'm a 34-year-old Buddy Holley fan.)

April, my fiance, will not allow it though. She has fashion sense I and I do not. I wear what works, which are usually cargo pants to carry a book and Advil. A multi-tool rides in my pocket, and I have a 1911 at about 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty), reload at about 3:30, mini-mag at 2:30, and M3 Trench Knife at 12 o'clock.

I also wear an oversize button-up shirt unbuttoned over my regular shirt to conceal the 1911. Breast pocket holds the cell phone and ear buds (it plays movies and music). Sunglasses and sometimes a Chevy hat round out the outfit.

In the wintertime I switch to a long-sleeve shirt and long pants or jeans. My concession to the weather.

Point is, I'm not stylish... if you didn't believe me from the get-go! laugh

Josh

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Real snazzy duds Sport! cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I have this correct, those are an old pair of your mother's glasses, and you want to know how they look - on you?

Your shooting looks fine. >grin<

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've worn glasses for the past 64 years, no big deal. Besides, it saves me from having to wear shooting glasses.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Those glasses will be destroyed in no time. Friggen thin wire.

Better get some Harry Carry type bullet-proof specs. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my recent pairs have been safety rated as well. It's that, or safety goggles over regular prescriptions.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude you need to be honest with who you really are,

If you need corrective lenses, then wear the damn things..

The cons of wearing glasses are greatly offset by the pros of being able to see!

Your Moms look fine, but treat yourself to your own pair.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
With your looks,it's not really going to matter.

Don't feel too bad though,I have the same problem,and I don't need glasses.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Those glasses will be destroyed in no time. Friggen thin wire.

Better get some Harry Carry type bullet-proof specs. lol

They are some of those "indestructible" frames. I sat there trying to kill 'em for a bit.

Thinking about Lasik, but if they botch it they can't fix it.

Josh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wear glasses. Didn't like them at first but I have given up counting the number of times in my life that glasses saved my eyes from flying objects. I considered lasik esp. when it first became reasonably priced. Then I remembered why I still wear glasses. Without a doubt, at some point I would have been blinded in both eyes had I not been wearig glasses.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They make you're butt look big! smile

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

You look "distinguished"

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no expert on Lasik, But I have looked into it and always walk away,

Here's the deal, People who need to get new glasses need to have a current prescription from an exam from an Eye doctor, no older than 12 months, because you eyes slowly change as time goes on,

There is no escaping that fact....Your vision will slowly erode as time goes on..

If you have Lasik at the present time to adjust for your present vision deficiency, then what happens when your vision starts to change in a few years?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i prefer contacts to glasses, not cause of looks but cause they work better for me especially in winter and in the rain as i can see fine with no fogging or splattering on the lenses....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Fifty-one years ago my buddy shot a cow elk because with his glasses fogged up from us running in the rain, he thought it had spikes. That cost him.

Three years later, same buddy and I jump a bull at about 30 feet and he is focusing on things when I shoot it. That cost him.

I'd have the surgery if it were at all possible.

I grew up alongside this guy and I know if he could have benefited from surgery he would have jumped at the chance. His glasses were often an issue.

Around 1963 we were lazing around on a little raft on a high country lake (Fawn Lake for those of you who know MSH) and he swatted at a yellowjacket, knocking his glasses off into the water. Luckily we were able to sneak back and see the glasses on the bottom of the lake, and retrieve them with a stick....without bothering the yellowjackets again.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you can see while you wear them then they "look" just fine. Fashion police be damned....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 35, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,648
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.