B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
As far as I know. You can't wash out the brighteners. The special wash detergents that you can buy don't put brighteners in the clothing, but you need a UV killer to get rid of the glow. Once you spray the clothing, and get rid of the glow. Which can be checked with a black light. The wash detergents made for hunters won't put more brighteners back in the clothing. As long as you continue to use the special wash detergents you won't have to spray with the UV killers anymore.

Just Google UV killers to find the products. A black light can be bought easily locally.

Keep in mind that blaze orange and camo are some of the worse materials treated with brighteners. No matter what the manufactures claim. They need to be treated.

This is just one small piece of the puzzle of fooling deer/elk. It's not expensive, and if it does or doesn't help? It can't hurt.
The uv killer schit is for real. No doubt about it. I regularly get within ft. of deer on the ground and camo or no camo, they'll spot you quicker every time without the UV killer. No question about that at all. Still, I'd rather hunt in uv treated street clothes with my hands and face covered, than hunt in a a full camo outfit with bare hands and face. At distances measured in feet rather than yards, uncovered white human face will have deer recognizing/busting you with no movement at all and white hands in dark woods is always bad at eye level in close quarters.

I have a tan. You need to get out more.
I'm out in the sun every day, all day and have the complexion of a Mexican. Come November in a dark woods my face still shines like the moon to a deer, as does yours and anyone else's short of an Afro-American.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as I know. You can't wash out the brighteners. The special wash detergents that you can buy don't put brighteners in the clothing, but you need a UV killer to get rid of the glow. Once you spray the clothing, and get rid of the glow. Which can be checked with a black light. The wash detergents made for hunters won't put more brighteners back in the clothing. As long as you continue to use the special wash detergents you won't have to spray with the UV killers anymore.

Just Google UV killers to find the products. A black light can be bought easily locally.

Keep in mind that blaze orange and camo are some of the worse materials treated with brighteners. No matter what the manufactures claim. They need to be treated.

This is just one small piece of the puzzle of fooling deer/elk. It's not expensive, and if it does or doesn't help? It can't hurt.
The uv killer schit is for real. No doubt about it. I regularly get within ft. of deer on the ground and camo or no camo, they'll spot you quicker every time without the UV killer. No question about that at all. Still, I'd rather hunt in uv treated street clothes with my hands and face covered, than hunt in a a full camo outfit with bare hands and face. At distances measured in feet rather than yards, uncovered white human face will have deer recognizing/busting you with no movement at all and white hands in dark woods is always bad at eye level in close quarters.

I have a tan. You need to get out more.
I'm out in the sun every day, all day and have the complexion of a Mexican. Come November in a dark woods my face still shines like the moon to a deer, as does yours and anyone else's short of an Afro-American.

Only if allowed to, though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought that's what I said.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm too old to shine.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm too old to shine.
Bullshitt. But you continue to hunt your way and I'll continue to hunt my way. I'm going to kill 4-6 deer this season the same as I have every season for the past 40 years regardless.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Kind of a serious dude ain't ya?

For the record. You're not telling me anything I didn't know before you were born.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Kind of a serious dude ain't ya?

For the record. You're not telling me anything I didn't know before you were born.
I doubt that. you ain't that much older than me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Your age?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
52 and I killed my first deer when I was 9.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My statement is true then. Mine was at 10 years old, and i'll be 70 in Dec.

Not that it really matters. What your saying about the skin is true.

I'm just trying to add a little humor now and then.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My statement is true then. Mine was at 10 years old, and i'll be 70 in Dec.

Not that it really matters. What your saying about the skin is true.

I'm just trying to add a little humor now and then.
I knew we were in agreement on the issue from the beginning MH.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Your comment about white hands, faces and movement at eye level is spot on the money....which UV killers are you using and have found to be worth a schitt?

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The uv killer from Atsko/snow seal works good as verified by my sons black light and the deer in my area.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What did the deer say about it?.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
One year I was repeatedly being picked out by deer that shouldn't have noticed me. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on but then a lightbulb lit up in my head...... The wife had washed my hunting clothes before the season and I bet she used regular detergent ! Went home and asked her and sure enough she had. I rewashed in Atsko sport wash that night and retreated with uv killer and all was back to normal as far as the deer not spotting me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tip! grin

BD

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why did we start a new thread on this topic when there was already one going a couple of spaces down?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlackDog1
Thanks for the tip! grin

BD

Seeking advise on hunting from PinkTart, is like asking Helen Keller.........does this camo make me look fat..............?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
One year I was repeatedly being picked out by deer that shouldn't have noticed me. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on but then a lightbulb lit up in my head...... The wife had washed my hunting clothes before the season and I bet she used regular detergent ! Went home and asked her and sure enough she had. I rewashed in Atsko sport wash that night and retreated with uv killer and all was back to normal as far as the deer not spotting me.

Hahahahahahahahaha ........ Too funny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like UV is the real deal. Do deer smell all that booze pouring out of you or do you just place your stand well above their line of smell ?

One year I was repeatedly being picked out by deer that shouldn't have noticed me.

Old English 800 ? Colt 45 ?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.