Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Got to shoot the Matthews Helim and the Hoyt Vector 32 this weekend. Having trouble making a choice between them.

Both bows, while slighty different, were GREAT. Both very smooth and quiet.

The Hoyt had a draw length of 28.5", which actually measured out at 28 3/4", but it felt just right.
My only real problem with the Hoyt is their cam system. The last setting on the #2 cam is 28" draw length, and supposedly the "most effecient" setting on the #2 cam because it lets the cam make its full rotation during the shot. I'm told that the 28.5" draw, being in the first postition of the #3 cam, is the LEAST effecient setting for the #3 cam.
Pro shop owner went as far to say that the 28" draw shooters were getting more velocity than the 28.5" and even 29" draw shooters because the cam was able to fully rotate.

The Matthews Helim was also great. They only had a 29" model in store, which measured right at 29 1/2" draw length.
While this was about an inch long for me, the bow still felt pretty impressive. For a totally bare bow, it was quiet and had very little vibration. I'm wondering if it would have been even more impressive if the draw length had fit me.

Any advice from folks who tried both would be welcomed. I honestly don't think I can make a BAD choice....but would still like some help.

P.S. I was also interested in trying out the Vector Turbo, but they only had a right hand model in stock. I'm a little concerned about the 6" brace height, but Hoyts short BH bows have a reputation for being very shootable.

SCHOOLCRAFT

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A few weeks ago the choice I had to make was between the Matthews Helim and the Hoyt Carbon Element. I picked the Hoyt and I am very happy with it. I do not think you can go wrong with any of the two. The Hoyt with a Fuse Carbon Blade Stabilizer is a killer combo, it just feels good and shoots good. I had to tell myself not to rush it and in the end I went with the one the felt best in my hands.

It's a beautiful day, Don't let it get away!!!

NoomaScout
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Try Strother Wrath and Elite Answer before you take the plunge.

I went with the Elite.

Sincerely,
Thomas

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Like you say, tough to get a good comparison between the two when one fits you perfectly, and the other is an inch too long. Would you have them order the correct DL Helium in for you? I suppose if they do that, you're stuck buying that one though. Ideally, if you could shoot them two in 28.5 side by side that would be best.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about what the guy at the archery shop told you about the Hoyt. He's obviously a speed freak and thinks that's the most important part of the bow... He's right, the #2 cam will be faster at it's maxed out DL then the #3 at it's minimum. It's smaller to get more speed for the short draw shooters. However, we're probably only talking approx 5-8 fps for a 28" draw. Since you're shooting 28.5 and have no choice but to go with the 3, I bet the speed difference is even less. Did he actually tell you what the speed differences were? The #3 cam will be a smoother drawing bow, and have more of a valley.

A 28" draw shooter can shoot either the 2 or 3 cam, they both work. For me personally I know what cam I'd go with. 5-8 fps don't mean jack. Give me a smoother draw any day.

Last edited by Fisky; 07/15/12.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd agree with the logic on the Hoyt, but I don't think the speed difference is that much. I have a CRX 35 with #3 cams and a "C" stop with 29C draw modules, the back wall is solid and the hold is pretty easy for me, the cams feel like they are rolled over. I was holding 9-12 inch groups at 60 yards yesterday without a huge effort. Hoyt seems to introduce fewer bows each year, but with more refinements to existing models, JMO.

I've shot Mathews for several years now, and the Heli-M is a great bow. My only comment on Mathews is the "next" factor, and I hope the Heli-M is not another "one-year" bow like the Reezen was. It has a good feel with the new draw stop, but the cam is still aggressive for the shot. The Heli-M will roll off of the draw if you lose focus of your anchor while tracking a target, or concentration on form. Something to look at when you shoot the two side-by-side.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
THanks for the responses.

I've also considered the Hoyt Vector Turbo. Longer A to A seems like it would be more stable, and I've heard nothing but positives about Hoyts speed bows over the years.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Vector Turbo is one bow I have not shot yet. I would like too...

I personally prefer a longer ATA my self. I have a Maxxis 35 and this Spring I bought a Drenalin to change things up a little. I've shot the Drenalin in shops here and there and always thought they shot awesome. Well I got it set up and within a week of shooting the two side by side, I knew I liked my Hoyt MUCH better. The Drenalin feels very torquey to me at full draw. It could because the Mathews DL is longer than they advertise, it could be the grip, it could be that it's lighter than my Hoyt, or it could be the shorter ATA, or all of the above. Either way my groups made it clear the Hoyt was better for me.

If you're doing a lot of ground hunting and taking a little longer shots and shooting in high winds, a longer ATA will be a lot more stable to hold. If you're taking 20yd shots from a treestand, the Helium might be the way to go. I would never buy a bow with that short of ATA though. That's just me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Longer ATA in theory -yes- more stable. However, you can soundly defeat the stability gained by going with a short (6-inch) brace height like the original Monster series from Mathews. My experience has been that a "balanced" bow in the hand will shoot better for me than factoring a longer/shorter ATA bow.

I find with the Mathews short ATA bows that I have to be careful with the sight and stabilizer selection or I end up causing myself more issues than intended. Example: I like the Axcel sights, but they are heavy and can throw my balance point out of alignment with my grip, so I end up inducing shooter errors with the choke grip to hold the bow steady.

One of reasons I went the Hoyt was the offset stabilizer hole, it seems to do a good job for me of offsetting the sight weight. I've shot the Hoyt twice on the range, and just getting the bow settled in so far. It's shooting Carbon Express great, and really doesn't like Easton FMJs off a Limb Driver yet.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks Fisky and AH64guy,

You both make very good points. It sounds like the Vector 35 or Carbon Matrix might be a better all around bow for stability and forgiveness (not as short BH as the Vector Turbo).

I can see the pro's and con's of the short ATA on the Helim, but since I'm coming back to bowhunting after 5 years off....a bow with a little extra forgiveness might be a plus for me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
The one comment I've heard from a couple of guys in my club that regularly shoot the Carbon riser Hoyts is that the riser can "creak" when first drawn. One guy claims he has to draw the bow two-three times in the stand to get the riser settled from the temp-change, sitting in the case, etc.

Most of the popping and creaking that I hear now days, is from me....

I was out of the archery field for 10-11 years, coming back in was a shock with all of the equipment and tech changes, it was confusing, and I didn't make the smart buy first. Hope it works out for you, but I think either choice will serve you well.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/16/12.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
As others have recommended you can't go wrong with either choice. If possible shoot both bows, one after another, blind bale style.

ONLY YOU, can tell which bow feels the best in your hands during and after the shot.

This is the platform in which to build your shooting confidence from.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I didn't bother with the Heli-M as it didn't impress me at draw. I shot the Vector 32, Carbon Matrix and the Monster MR6. I had them all set at the same draw length (29") and weight (64 lb). The Vector and the MR6 shot nearly the same in my hands and both felt equally as great. I was able to get 15 fps more with the MR6 (320 vs. 305 fps on the test bows).

In the end I choose the Vector 32 based on not really wanting to pay another $450 for a carbon bow that I felt really only gave me a .5lb wieight reduction. Between the Vector 32 and the MR6 that .5lb+ really started to matter and the MR6 was a full 2" longer even though it's a 33 axle to axle bow. I'm so used to my Alphamax 32 and hunting it in the turkey blind that I didn't want the extra length.

I special ordered the Vector 32 with 65lb limbs and burried the screws. At a 29" draw with a #3 module and a 67# draw weight it slings Maxima Hunter 250's at 310fps. I really like Hoyts new cam design this year. It's much easier to draw than my Alphamax, has a solid wall and doesn't want to take off on a slight "let up".

Sorry I don't have more to offer on the Heli-M.

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AH64guy
The one comment I've heard from a couple of guys in my club that regularly shoot the Carbon riser Hoyts is that the riser can "creak" when first drawn. One guy claims he has to draw the bow two-three times in the stand to get the riser settled from the temp-change, sitting in the case, etc.

Most of the popping and creaking that I hear now days, is from me....

I was out of the archery field for 10-11 years, coming back in was a shock with all of the equipment and tech changes, it was confusing, and I didn't make the smart buy first. Hope it works out for you, but I think either choice will serve you well.

AH64 I have been hunting the Carbon Matrix since it came out. Everything from well below freezing to 60 degrees plus, My bow has never creaked.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Thats good to know. One of the bows was at the range last weekend, it did make a bit of noise on the draw, but not anything that I would consider different from drawing mine with a solid riser. This guy may just be a noise freak.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Carbon Element has never creaked on me either. I've been tickled pink with it but realistically wish I got the matrix. My buddy has the same DL as me (32.5") and his matrix feels a bit more stable in hand but I shoot both the same as both of our bows have the same accessories.

I want to try the Vector but not in any hurry to unload the Element yet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (22kHornet, 222ND, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 43 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,875
Posts18,478,865
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.