-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Early this morning the wife and I left to drop her off at work when I noticed it was pretty cold outside. Looking at the temperature gauge in the car it showed -2 deg C (close to 30 deg F I believe) up here in Pretoria.

After dropping her off I had a statutory cup of coffee with the newspaper and the front page showed why it was as cold as it was. Some snow in Lesotho and the East Cape and in the eastern Free State bogged down a bunch of people. This is the picture on the front page:
[Linked Image]
The paper describes how people got stuck and how interstate freeways were closed down. The headline loosely translates to: Many saved from the snow.

Many South Africans from 4wheel drive clubs assisted in rescuing stranded people on both sides of the border. The temperature at that time was 7 deg F.

If you are on your way hunting here, a beanie and a scarf will help.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just another hunting day in Alberta. smile

You're making it hard to pack you know!

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Looks like Texas, a couple inches of snow and look out!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Shoot, 30deg F is T-shirt weather in the Dakotas, and probably Canada. But do want to show folks that it DOES snow in South Africa..

Ghost
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Killed my first African animal, a black wildebeest, on June 21 1984 about 100 miles from Pretoria in sleet and light snow. By noon was 60F and quite a pleasant day. Very much like the Texas Panhandle, you should be prepared for anything.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It will have cleared up by the time you arrive I'm sure. Well at least that's what the weather bureau said anyway.

Hunted with some people from Alaska once who were running around in T-shirts in 30 deg weather. Shikes they loved it and I had another coffee.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have turned soft with age and now wear a sweatshirt after 0 degrees C used to be good with a flannel shirt below that. Not any more.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Showed the pic to my girlfriend and she freaked! She hates snow and the thought of heading to Africa and to be greeted with that did not sit well with her. I told her that we will be a few hours north of that and we shouldn't see any of white stuff!

Life is too short to squabble - mend the past, live today, and dream of tomorrow
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gristle Head
Killed my first African animal, a black wildebeest, on June 21 1984 about 100 miles from Pretoria in sleet and light snow. By noon was 60F and quite a pleasant day. Very much like the Texas Panhandle, you should be prepared for anything.

Good advice. Oftimes it is jacket weather in the mornings and evenings and T-shirt and shorts at mid-day. I wear cargo pants with zippers above the knees. That way I have long pants and shorts in the same garment. A light jacket (of quiet fabric) is also useful.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Was in Namibia once when a cold front came up from Antarctica...it was bone chilling....
Scraped a windshield on a bakkie there more than once...

but never seen any snow per se...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I were a couple days ahead of a snow storm last year while hunting from the Baviaans down through Kokstad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when my son and I went in 2001, it snowed in the Waterburg Mountains, and there was ice on the Jack Russels water bowl several mornings. on a last minute fluke, I grabbed his gore tex duck hunting jacket and threw it in his duffel, and it had some gloves in the pockets, which were a real life saver. particularly riding around at night in an open car shooting duiker and calling predators. always nice and comfortable by mid morning, though.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I went in 2010, it was pretty nice, but there were a few windy days when the shorts I took (the only leg clothing I took on recommendation) weren't cutting it! Good thing Andrew was just gifted a XXL jacket that he let me borrow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 53 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.