Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I don,t think Kero is the way to go. Acetone

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
F
Frans Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Aaaahhhhh.... (add undertones of frustration)

Well, I didn't like the brown on the receiver. The barrel looked nice, with darker hues, the receiver was coppery brown. So I decided to test if all those layers would turn blue if I boiled it. Actually I put the barrel/receiver in a piece of flex pipe and poured boiling distiled water over it and let it sit. There definitely was bluing, lots of it in some places. Unfortunately none in other. I boiled the receiver end for a while hoping to see the coppery tones disappear, but alas.

Learning all the lessons the hard way. I think I have one more go in me, and will start tomorrow. Doing the boiling water thing after every layer. As the instructions say.

Guess the advice I got of not boiling in between ("the blue is just the result of excessively rubbing to brown") didn't quite work out.

November is still far away... I'll git'r done in time.

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Always, always, always boil and card between 'coats'!!!! Polish it bright and start over. Mind the de-greasing too like your life depended on it!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
...and consider yerself real lucky to be gettin' off with such an easy lesson....lol smile Grease be da Devil!!

"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf.."
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gasket
Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
IC B2

F
Frans Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Well..... it's looking semi-respectable now. My inner perfectionist will likely drive me back to this project in the future, but for now it'll have to do. I want to go shoot it!! Had it drenched in some oil overnight, and under overcast skies it looks pretty good. Strong light shows the flaws. :-(

Now for all the little parts... how about that Lyman tang sight? Should I take it apart? Would be hard to reach all the surfaces if not.

Tempting to put some quick-blue on the screw heads, but the colour would be off.

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Frankly, unless the tang sight is a ball of rust I wouldn't take it apart. Of course it can be taken apart though- just remember how it goes back together!

In all honesty, quite often I just cold blue screw heads if that's all I have to do. I like Oxpho Blue from Brownells. It is quite durable and blends well with rust bluing. If I'm rust bluing other small parts, I do the screw heads at the same time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (257 mag, 44mc, 300_savage, 3dtestify, 35, 12 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,088
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.