Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

I bought these. They were advertised as authentic:

[Linked Image]

The P51 openers look authentic, and are stamped US. That's the only marking.

The P38 openers just seem a little too bright. They are marked MIL-J-0837.

The P51 openers work. I tried one and it's solid, not flimsy at all. I've not tried a P38 yet.

The 7.62x54R case is thrown in there for size comparison.

I'd like to get this settled before I throw it in with the canned goods I take camping, or wherever...

Thanks,

Josh

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never heard of a P-51 can opener, but the P-38s I carried in the Army were the color of the openers on the left, sort of a frosted aluminum color. I finally got tired of getting poked by the danged thing and got rid of it, about two years after leaving the Army........

They work, but a regular can opener is a heckuva lot easier to use.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've carried a P-38 for years, one day Dad noticed it asked where I got it. I got the same place he did.
He explained that a lot of the guys at Air Force Village in San Antonio had mentioned they missed not having one around. These guys were all WWI, Korea vets, Maj., Lt Cols. Cols. amd maybe a Gen. or two. I'm not sure if the Air Force types ever had to open a can to eat, but a P-38 could open a beer.
Any way I found a handful at a gun show and forwarded them to San Antonio.
Dad reported there was a bunch of happy old guys.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Can't speak for the AF officers but as an EM I opened a few cans in 1967. They were dated 1944, three years before I was born. Green eggs and ham or MFers.
Mine was a P-38.

Last edited by websterparish47; 07/21/12.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got an original P38 that went thru WWII on my FIL's key chain. It's on mine now and has been for about 40 years. It never pokes me and has made it thru all device screening measures.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep one in my wallet, just in case. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is a picture of my version, you can see it's stamped US Kay 1962. Still works 50 years later.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just bought a dozen p-51s on Amazon for a couple of bucks....will report in when I get them.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never seen or heard of the p-51, I still have a p-38 in my junk somewhere along with my dog tags.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I carry a 38 on my key chain. Never seen a 51.

My 38 has opened a lot of cans on camping trips and such. Never leave home without one.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Guys,

Before buying I looked up the P-51 as I'd never heard of them, either. I guess they came along with the large cans, per Google anyway. The P38s were for the C-Rats.

Turns out these are fake, after being advertised as authentic. Going about getting my money back and I located some ones which are indeed authentic.

The sinking feeling with these began when they arrived in a regular letter envelope...

Thanks!

Josh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shortly after 9-11-01, in an airport security line I saw the TSA confiscate a P-38 off a passenger's key chain. The guy felt helpless. He told the TSA guy that it had been his buddies in Viet Nam. It had been on his buddy when he was killed. And it had been on his own keychain ever since. The TSA guy said, "Rules is rules", and tossed it into the trash can.

The passenger was afraid to argue, and couldn't afford to miss his flight. He got on the plane...with a tear in his eye.

It ruined his day, and mine, too.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what, "Surrender the plane or I'll open your can?" Idiots mad

Got a couple around here somewhere, we much preferred the can opener on one of those Army stainless steel Boy Scout knives or just a small PX turn-the-handle can opener for C-rats. We weren't elite enough for MREs, they emptied the warehouse on us. (The box said it expired WHEN??)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Shortly after 9-11-01, in an airport security line I saw the TSA confiscate a P-38 off a passenger's key chain. The guy felt helpless. He told the TSA guy that it had been his buddies in Viet Nam. It had been on his buddy when he was killed. And it had been on his own keychain ever since. The TSA guy said, "Rules is rules", and tossed it into the trash can.

The passenger was afraid to argue, and couldn't afford to miss his flight. He got on the plane...with a tear in his eye.

It ruined his day, and mine, too.

I too was in the middle of a trip on 9-11. When we were finally able to go back to the airport a few days later (when things started to operate again), I had a small pocketknife that I had always carried. Pre-9/11, I'd simply put it through the x-ray machine with my other metal stuff, and never a word was said. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen that day. I talked to the airport screener, who suggested I talk to the airline agent at the counter. I explained the situation, told her that my dad had given it to me, that it had special meaning, and what could I do? I was traveling with one carry-on (containing things that I wouldn't allow to be checked), and not headed directly home, so checking a bag wasn't the answer. She said to give her my address, and she would send it to me. I handed her the knife, my address, and a $5 bill for postage. A few days later, a small box showed up with my knife. smile

I know that doesn't help your buddy now, but can only wish that he had asked somebody besides the screener for help. crazy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
According to my exladyfriend who's father was a TSA agent, you are supposed to be given the option of removing the item and either taking it back to your car, give it to someone not flying, or if possible, put it in your checked on. Personally, I have never seen anyone be given that option. They are not supposed to confiscate the item. Now if you surrender it that is another thing. It seems they have the system set up that it is easier to just surrender the item.

At one with the gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,605
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.