-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i shot a big hole in the hill side... i will test for accuracy now that i know where it is safe to stop...

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
GB1

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'll be over at the range tomorrow testing some loads for accuracy ( the weather willing )...

worked up some more loads using H 322...

testing it in hot weather shows its not sensitive to hot temps..

also got some dynamite velocities... yet the primers still got in just like they did before... plus I am only needing to neck size the brass to shoot in the same rifle again...

50 V Maxes are giving right around 3650 + fps with Fed SR primers..

55 V Maxes are running approx 3600 fps... with CCI/SR primers...

and out of a 223...Ruger VT...26 inch barrel..

36.62mm OAL....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: Have you used these 53 grain V-Max's afield on Varmints as yet?
I was just wondering how they mistify the Ground Squirrels and such.
I bought some of these bullets a couple of months ago but have been so busy Hunting and fly fishing that I have not done much load development and none with these bullets and their high B.C.!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Marty ( Iron Eagle) and I had some out when we were shooting ground squirrels...

since it was his first trip out, I gave him priority on the opportunities...we only got maybe 250 to 300 shots together all afternoon...

I observed Marty hitting multiple times with multiple bullets he was testing out for his own use...however distance was less than 200 to 225 yds most times...

the better test would be distance shooting on prairie dogs... I am making a trip to the East Coast in August...I am going to try and stop by in Montana on the way east and shoot prairie dogs for a day or so...

if that pans out, I was going to take the 53 grain V Maxes, with these loads...

I am expecting a fast moving 53 gr V Max, would be pretty explosive... especially good for long distances..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
i shot a big hole in the hill side... i will test for accuracy now that i know where it is safe to stop...

You put some powder in those hulls I'm sendin' ya, and you can level that hillside laugh shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500

You put some powder in those hulls I'm sendin' ya, and you can level that hillside laugh shocked

Gunner

TFF!!! laugh

i would love to do that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Varmintguy, i was using the 60 grain V-max when Seafire and i went to the field, and most of the kills with that bullet going around 3,000 FPS were EXPLOSIVE! i cant wait to test those 53s at 3,600 FPS.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Marty,

I was over at the range this afternoon, and tested about 30 rounds of 27.5 grains of H 322 ( three types of bullets) and 55 grainers... the SPSX held up nicely and were very accurate...
as were all loads...

also tested 10 rounds of 50 grain Varmint Nightmare Extremes behind 28 grains of H 322, with an MV of 3700 fps...pretty darn accurate also...

was using the Ruger VT for those...

H 322 seems to perform best at max pressure ( or a little over)...but primer pockets were nice and tight...cases ( Rem) only needed to be neck sized.... and the cases are ready to go again...

one batch of 10 was on its 6th reload...I need to anneal them, 'just in case' maintenance...

all of this and H 322 is temp insensitive...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think Marty is likin' this wayyyyyy too much.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
In my hart 223 with a match chamber in a 14twist, very short freebore

26.0g of Benchmark with the 50
26.0g of H335 with the 50
24.5g of H322 with the 50
26.0g of N-133 with a CCiBR4 primer is 3600 fps out of my 26" barrel, unreal accurate.

My accuracy loads at 200 are way under 1/2".

Seafire, sounds like you have a slow lot of H322 or your bore in overbore.

Last edited by keith; 07/20/12.
IC B3

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
MAYBE I need to pick up a spare pound of it, just to see if you are right...

this is out of an 8 lb container...

with 50 to 55 grain bullets its running some awesome velocity readings.. and accuracy to boot...

I need to get some more field time and see what a 55 SPSX does to a ground squirrel or prairie dog when launched at about 3550 to 3600 fps out of a 26 inch barrel....

especially between 100 to 150 yds.... that ought to be a red mist combo and a half...

Just looking at some loaded rounds it seems to whisper "Splat" while standing still in the loading block...

Put a Hogue Rubber Stock in Ghillie Green this afternoon also on the Ruger VT...I'm sure liking that also....

my trigger finger is getting itchy....hoping to swing thru Montana on my road trip back east...maybe bring the Ruger or the Rem VLS along with say 500 rounds of these loads...

just for a little R & R along the way out and on the way back...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

TFF!!! laugh

i would love to do that!

wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Dudes, not to hi-jack, You men are getting some astronomical vels with bullets only a couple grs lighter than mine.
This thread has got me thinkin, I'm only able to run the 55 gr TSX's @3220 in a 22" barreled Hawkeye.

Being as this is my first foray into smallbores for deer sized game, am i leaving anything on the table running my load this slow?

Thanks,
Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
in a word, NO.

many deer have died to much slower velocities than 3220...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 to what Marty said....killed lotsa deer with a .223 and the 3200ish velocity.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
and i leaving anything on the table running my load this slow?

Yes, you are leaving lots on the table, such as:

1 The chance to wear out your barrel and your brass much quicker.

2 The chance to do some serious damage to your rifle, and maybe to yourself, if some combination of factors pushes pressure a bit higher again.

3 The chance to show the animals you shoot just how much you respect them - think how upset they must be about getting shot at with cartridges loaded to less than 70,000psi.

4 The chance to be recognised as a true 'Campfire Hero' who regularly achieves muzzle velocities 5 to 10% higher than the maximum loads shown in any manufacturer's loading manuals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redrover
muzzle velocities 5 to 10% higher than the maximum loads shown in any manufacturer's loading manuals.

funny thing about manufacturers load data. many times it is only around 50,000 PSI/CUP when the cartridge in question is rated safely to 62,000 PSI.

not saying you are wrong or anything, but look at the data and see for yourself.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Eagle and Ingwe, just didnt know what you men were pushing the little 55 TSX's at, if another 100/150 fps was available, I was gonna take it.

This is a major step for me, Hell, I shot nearly everything with 300 mags and 200 gr Partitions before joining up here at the fire. laugh shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I wont kid you, speed is your freind with TSXs but I have killed a pile with them at 3200 in a .223

Shoot the deer wherever you normally shoot it, my experience is that they go no further than if they are shot with anything else, and in most cases, for reasons I cant explain, they usually travel less distance...

If I have to take a shot in the think stuff late in the evening and wanna make sure I dont have any tracking to do, I take a high shoulder shot ( ON the shoulder, not behind it..)

So far the record for me is a mule deer doe that made it about fifty yards from impact point...

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That helps a lot, Thanks Ingwe, I've got two of these rifles and have turned one over to a Bud, and will turn the other over to him after deer season this year.

His kids will have one each to hunt deer with, I have 200 rounds loaded up and ready, they [I] should be set if everyone puts the bullets where they belong.

I've told him "The Guys on The Campfire" have killed all manner of game with the 223 and TSX bullets shocked eek LOL
Many Thanks,
Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

175 members (300_savage, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 27 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,791
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.