Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
John, I don't think I have read any comments from you concerning the Lee Collet Die.

I bought a few a while ago, and really just started to seriously use them. Although they seem to lack high quality (materials seem a little cheap compared to my Redding Dies), they sure seem to work with little muss and fuss. No lube is certainly a bonus, as is the price. I would love to see Redding come out with a similar design.

Your take?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for posting this. I started playing with these dies this season. I find a lot to like about them. My one concern is the bullet seating tension is pretty modest. I haven't been able to push the bullets deeper with my fingers, but the slight tension makes me wonder about the wisdom of using these dies for hunting rounds. (I know some folks turn the collet down .001" and that you can order undersized collets from Lee.) I'll be interested in following this thread.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Al, I had a set in .35Whelen that never gripped the bullet enough. Bought another set of dies.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
Al, I had a set in .35Whelen that never gripped the bullet enough. Bought another set of dies.

I have several, and they seem to vary just a bit from cartridge to cartridge in "feel" when I seat bullets. The one for my 7x57 feels really modest. Right now I'm thinking about just going back to my Redding FL 7x57 die that is adjusted to bump the shoulder back one or two thousandths. But it is nice to skip the lubing!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've used them since I started reloading.

In addition to being convenient (ie no lube necessary) they also make extremely concentric ammo and are extraordinarily easy on brass.

IIRC the nominal bullet tension issue can (up to a point) be helped by screwing the die a tad further into the press.

As another poster said, I've found that different cartridges offer different amounts of tension (according to neck thickness & brass hardness?) but I've never had bullets "slip" while in the mag.

I swear by these dies, but as with anything YMMV.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Thanks for posting this. I started playing with these dies this season. I find a lot to like about them. My one concern is the bullet seating tension is pretty modest. I haven't been able to push the bullets deeper with my fingers, but the slight tension makes me wonder about the wisdom of using these dies for hunting rounds. (I know some folks turn the collet down .001" and that you can order undersized collets from Lee.) I'll be interested in following this thread.

Chuck the mandrel in a drill and carefully cut it down with sandpaper. Easier to take it off than to put back on... blush

Measure with calipers and try it until it suits you.

I like these dies. Seems to me you get more concentric rounds than with conventional dies and their pull thru ball expanders. They don't work the brass as hard. One would think brass would last longer, although I've not done a side by side comparison.

IMHO,

DF

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There's a nice side-by-side comparison on a 'local' board in Illinois (or Indiana? Somewhere back there in the old midwest) of brass life between neck sizing and FL sizing, and both with and without annealing each way.

Neck sizing allowed brass to last over 100 loadings in that test, whereas heads were separating in FL-sized brass after just a few loadings.

I use and like the Collet dies a lot. Had a 25WSSM one made for me, and am about to order one for the Creedmoor.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MZ5
There's a nice side-by-side comparison on a 'local' board in Illinois (or Indiana? Somewhere back there in the old midwest) of brass life between neck sizing and FL sizing, and both with and without annealing each way.

Neck sizing allowed brass to last over 100 loadings in that test, whereas heads were separating in FL-sized brass after just a few loadings.

I use and like the Collet dies a lot. Had a 25WSSM one made for me, and am about to order one for the Creedmoor.

They had to have been sized too much. Bump the shoulders just a couple of thou and the brass lasts a long time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have switched to Lee collet dies wherever available, have some 30-06 cases fired 12 times and going strong. May have a custom one made for 375 Ruger, if it doesn't come out soon. Turn down the mandrel, or anneal, as per the instructions if more tension is wanted. Lee stuff rocks, save the fine polish for the guns and silverware.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have several LCDs as well as other brand neck dies. The LCD works like a champ and produces less runnout than darn near any dies I run, but they do require alot of force to give the neck tension I like. I have turned the mandrel down on one of mine and that seems to work better requiring a bit less force. The main thing I've found to help is developing a habit to try and put approx the same force on each case.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have several sets and have had sets made for 284, 338rcm, 7mm SAUM, 358win, 250AI and 300wsm

They seem to make ammo much more concetric than redding or RCBS neck sizers. While some might not wish to play with a die, it seems you have to go to something like bushing dies to match the collet die so considering the price difference, I don't mind spinning the mandrel though some emery paper for more neck tension.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like them for my varmit rounds. Speeds up the process and I've found accuracy to be excellent.

`Bring Enough Gun`
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yet another useful product from a company that people like to pick on.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have used them almost 15 years and always had quality, functioning, and accurate amo. Only issue I had was with my 338, would not tighten the necks enough, Lee replaced it. I have RCBS and Lymon too, but Lee for me.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I too have several sets, and like the convenience of use quite a lot, but have noticed that you're sort of walking a tightrope between insufficient neck tension and crumpling case shoulders. May have to try reducing mandrel diameter on some of them as suggested above. Several years ago I did a test against conventional dies, several loads where only difference was the dies. Result was a small but consistent advantage for the conventional dies. The advantage waswn't enough to override the convenience of the collet units, though. I've also found that the collet dies are often usable on slightly shorter cases, .222 in the .223 die,and .260 in a 6.5 x 55, for example.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Sometimes they need to be disassembled and deburred and lubed to work correctly. I have also found that if you size the case, rotate it a quarter turn or so, and size again, that you will gain almost a thousandth. Doing it a third time doesn't help.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fourarmed
Sometimes they need to be disassembled and deburred and lubed to work correctly. I have also found that if you size the case, rotate it a quarter turn or so, and size again, that you will gain almost a thousandth. Doing it a third time doesn't help.

Don't turn the case an integer multiple of a quarter turn. Remember the collet has four fingers, and it's ideal to get the parts that were in the gaps on the first pass to be squeezed under the collet fingers on the second pass.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by fourarmed

Don't turn the case an integer multiple of a quarter turn. Remember the collet has four fingers, and it's ideal to get the parts that were in the gaps on the first pass to be squeezed under the collet fingers on the second pass.

mathman,

You sure lived up to your name with that post! grin Reminds me of my college days and math classes. But your point is certainly well-taken.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
yep I go 1/3rd turn...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
yep I go 1/3rd turn...

As do I.

The LCD's quite simply rock!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 300_savage, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 14 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,635
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.