Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I keep saying the same thing about the Vais brake, but nobody believes it. I heard no difference in noise.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys,looks like I do need to look into a break as a possibility.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
Around 30% recoil reduction seems to be what I read most, for me I'd not consider one as the rifles I've been around that were equiped with a muzzel break were head splittingly loud...........Hb

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Thanks guys,looks like I do need to look into a break as a possibility.

I shoot 223 (5.56) every single day with and without breaks. I have used just about every brand made and those who say any break is quite is on crack. I have them on about half of my rifles, but teaching a lot of new shooters IME the noise/concussion causes more flinching then recoil. Just from a function of how they work they will increase blast, concussion, noise, and flash.

Seriously you are over thinking this, especially the .357/.223 part. Just get a good 223, use good bullets and she will slaughter deer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never said they're quiet. I said I couldn't hear a difference with and without when wearing ear protection. Neither did anybody else who shot my gun.

You can say you tried a Vais, and i'll believe you when you show the gun.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 07/27/12.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I never said they're quiet. I said I couldn't hear a difference with and without when wearing ear protection. Neither did anybody else who shot my gun.

Oooh. I'm being called out. Cool.

[Linked Image]

300 Tomahawk. 34in Krieger barrel with a Vias muzzle break.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Go with the 223. She will hate the muzzle brake; the added noise and muzzle blast far outweigh the recoil reduction.

That'd be the way I'd roll as well.

Dober

+3. Get her started with the mild .223. When she gets older and bigger, you can move her up to, say, a .260 or 7mm-08. And you'll still have the .223 Montana, a great little walk-about rifle. Forget the brake and use the money you've saved to put toward a nice binocular for her.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As noted previously. I would buy something with more thump like a 260 or 7-08 and use Remington "Managed Recoil" loads or equivelent handload until she is all growd up. In fact, I did just that when my boy's were very young with a 250 AI.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Oooh. I'm being called out. Cool.

[Linked Image]

300 Tomahawk. 34in Krieger barrel with a Vias muzzle break.

Ok, I believe you, but i'm still confused that you think the Vais is loud? I had about 10 guys shoot my gun, and not one of them complained about noise. My gunsmith has installed about 50 of them with no complaints about noise.

Oh well. I can only talk about my own experience.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 07/28/12.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another recommendation for the Vais muzzle brake. I put a Vais muzzle brake and a limbsaver recoil pad on my .325 and it reduced the recoil to .243 levels. I honestly think my 5 year old could shoot it.

As far as noise goes, I didn't notice any increase in noise and in fact I personally think it's quieter with the Vais on there.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by buckthumper
Another recommendation for the Vais muzzle brake. I put a Vais muzzle brake and a limbsaver recoil pad on my .325 and it reduced the recoil to .243 levels. I honestly think my 5 year old could shoot it.

As far as noise goes, I didn't notice any increase in noise and in fact I personally think it's quieter with the Vais on there.

There you go! I was hoping someone would come along that agreed with me. The Vais is the only brake to use.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I recently burned up a bunch of powder in a Mk V 340 Wea. I put over a hundred rounds through the original barrel with the factory Wea brake with 200 and 215 gr bullets handloaded to maximum velocities.

This was about six months after rotator cuff surgery to repair a fully separated tendon in my right shoulder.

I found the 340 very tolerable, about on a par with a seven pound 30-06 pushing 165's to 2900 fps.

We then had Pac-Nor replace the barrel on the MK V and install one of their brakes. I think the Pac-Nor brake was even more effective than the Wea brake.

The comparison to a 270 is, I think, valid.

Noise???????????

The 340 with the brake did not seem any louder than any of my unbraked rifles. But I never fired it without GOOD muffs or plugs.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Call me old fashioned but why in heck is it so important for an 8 year old to kill something if they can't handle an adequate caliber?

No problem with the idea of getting them started shooting at a young age under full supervision. At one time it was not unheard of for the youngsters to go along with their fathers as a companion for a year or two. They could experience the hunt and learn the rules of gun handling from instruction and observation.

Personally I doubt this girl is ready to hunt.

Jim

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jim
I appreciate the concern but I feel she can hunt under the conditions she will be in.She has hunted with me for two years under my close supervision.The first year was just carrying a BB gun to help her learn safety.The second year she got to shoot a few squirells with a 22 I carried and handed to her at the right moment.

The conditions will likely be a lot different here in Bama than in Ontario.I won't be pushing her out the door to trudge through waist deep snow with dad's 30-06.It will be several years before I allow her to hunt even as far as shouting distance from dad.We will be shooting over a green field from a shooting house with dad sitting right becide her.Shots will be around 50 yards and likely on a doe around 60-80 lbs.The 223,357 or nearly any centerfire will be quite adequate.That's why any centerfire is legal here.

My concern is not if she is strong or old enough but to get something that will fit her well and allow me to cultivate her already present desire to hunt with dad.There are very few extremly light,low recoiling deer rifles.I just wanted to explore the idea of a muzzle break that might open up a few more possibilities.

The weight isn't too much a concern from the shooting house but I wanted to let her start learning how to shoot from different positions as well.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Ok, I believe you, but i'm still confused that you think the Vais is loud? I had about 10 guys shoot my gun, and not one of them complained about noise. My gunsmith has installed about 50 of them with no complaints about noise.

The Vias is certainly not as obnoxious as most breaks, especially to the shooter, however directly to the side and for sure inside of a shooting house they are still louder then an unbreaked gun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

The Vias is certainly not as obnoxious as most breaks, especially to the shooter, however directly to the side and for sure inside of a shooting house they are still louder then an unbreaked gun.

I agree to that, but for hunting it's still an advantage for those looking for less recoil with no noticeable louder noise. I never shoot even hunting without some kind of ear protection.

I hurt my hearing trap shooting when I was young and stupid. So, it's really sensitive now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.