Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#6724139 07/28/12
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
And it was fun!

I was out on US HWY 24 driving home and I heard a chopper. It didn't sound like one of our Medevac choppers from the hospitals, and then I felt my truck start to shake a bit from rotor wash.

I saw a Huey flaring in front of me, then it banked and climbed.

First time I ever saw one of those particular birds in flight. The pilots looked to be having fun and man, there was something different about that "thump-thump-thump" of the main rotor. All the modern helicopters I'm familiar with have a sharper, faster sound.

It looked like a transport btw. There were no side guns mounted (a shame; that would have been cool!) and the doors were closed.

It looked like a restored Vietnam-era Huey.

That was a special treat, friends and neighbors!

Josh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chicks dig Hueys

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Only thing better would have been a chinook! All in the same very cool.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hueys are just plain cool.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My favorite ride in an aircraft was in a Huey.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine was better. Joined the mile high club. laugh

Last edited by eyeball; 07/28/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing like flying a Huey.

I always said it was like the 57 Chevy of the helo world.

Battery on, key on, fuel on, set the throttle. Full the trigger, if the ignitors start popping, you are going flying baby!

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cal Fire Helitack still fly hueys, and man those guys tear-ass around. It's awesome to watch..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And from what I've seen, the USAF security forces still fly Hueys while guarding the holes in the ground up here.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll never forget looking up in sky and seeing a group of twenty plus hueys flying overhead when I was a kid. I was out on the playground at elementary school when it happened so it would been sometime in the mid to late 60's.

IIRC, I counted 28. They were flying into Alameda Naval Air Station and then off to Vietnam.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Strapped into the door gunners harness of a Blackhawk, leaning out while flying 120kts, 50' above the ground (water actually as we were crossing Cook Inlet), with a 100' ceiling was one of the highlights of my career.

I love helicopters!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a wee bit of time in the left door of one of them, love them old warhorses.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Joshua--- American Huey 369 has and flies Vietnam Huey's -- They very often are at Howard County Vietnam Vets @ Kokomo In. At the September Vietnam Vets reunion at Kokomo, the public can get a ride in one for $$$$.
[list]
[*]http://www.americanhuey369.com/ ----- I'll be there in Sept. Just checked their calendar --July 28 - (rain date July 29) - Veteran/Customer Appreciation Day - Triple LLL Truck Repair - Wabash, IN---- There is your answer -- Web

Last edited by wldthg; 07/28/12.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[Linked Image] --- American Huey 369 at Kokomo In.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My one and only for 12 years. Nothing better.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you want a crazy ride, get on the bench of a MH-6 being flown by the 160th. Those guys can fly those things in ways helos were never meant to be.

-Piss into the wind.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I spent time on as part of a Huey crew for Medevac... this was just post Vietnam... we had many pilots that were Vietnam Vets and others who were not...

what a difference in what the pilots could make those choppers do..I use to joke the Vietnam Vets could fly a Huey Upside Down and Backwards thru the eye of a needle...

this was in the Guard, so when they would take people up, when they were just racking up flight time during Guard drills, first thing they would ask the rider, if he had ever been up in a Huey before... If the guy said NO, then they would smile.. and we knew the pilots had some fun coming..

They'd always fly people over their house first and get them all excited...then start doing maneuvers to get them airsick..

their favorite was to set the chopper down in a field 'to check the tail rotar..' and then when they took off, they'd act like the chopper was gaining height fast enough, 'oh my God we're going to crash!'.. and then take it up thru a batch of trees.. rotars above but the body of the chopper thru the trees...

once thru them, they look at their passengers " hey you guys alright back there?" and then crack up watching them trying to hold down their lunch or breakfast..

what I loved about Hueys was the guys who flew them...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When I was in a Guard Aviation Unit we had pilots that went back as far as Corsairs and B-17s the newest old timer started on 86s.

Then we had some Viet Nam Pilots too.

Read Dan;'s stories here and you will see why combat pilots could jig and Jag, they learned that was the way to survive.

Flew with a guy one day that used a little cyclic twitch of pop over tree lines and back down to skids in the rice. He said he had learned that altitude just kept you in the target zone longer

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They make a cool sound indeed. Wish I could fly in one, maybe someday.

UH60's look fun too, a little more realistic I might ride in one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 11 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,664
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.