-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1pika Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone know how easy it is to turn these turrets, will they spin in a scabbard? Is parallax a concern with this scope as it has no adjustment knob for parallax. How do the turrets in comparison to leupold m1's?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You have a bullet-proof scope. In 10X it won't get any better. Generally, up to 10X parallax isn't a problem. When you start using variables that have 12X and higher on the top end, and fixed power scopes that are above 10X, then parallax could become an issue. The knobs will not turn in a saddle scabbard, but you won't need a small pipe-wrench with you to dial in to your target. In my humble opinion, there is no better 10X scope made. YMMV.

PS. - I don't currently own a Leupold scope. I do have a S&B 4-16x50 PM II though.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Best on the market

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1pika
Does anyone know how easy it is to turn these turrets, will they spin in a scabbard? Is parallax a concern with this scope as it has no adjustment knob for parallax. How do the turrets in comparison to leupold m1's?

[Linked Image]

I've never had a turret move, unless I turned it myself on any of my 10X PMII's. The clicks are very crisp and positive.

They are parralax free at 300 meters. Proper cheekweld and eye posisioning when shooting at 100 will nulify any problems there. I try to work up my loads at 300 anyway. I believe they are only available in mil/mil, with 13.0 mils of elevation travel(apprx 51 moa).

No comment on Leupold's M1 turrets, as I never ran one.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Pika,

The turrets won't turn unless you want them to. And they're absolutely repeatable.

I don't have a Leupold w/M1's but I do have one with CDS and I doubt the friction of the click adjustments are that much different between the two(M1's and CDS). I can tell you there is no comparison to the S&B.

And considering the price difference, with the Schmitt, you get way more than 4X the scope for the money.

Like Pat said, as long as you have a consistant shooting technique, the paralax won't be an issue close up. The further out you are shooting the better this scope becomes, believe me.

If you can affored to buy one, do it.

You won't be disappointed.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

[Linked Image]

I've never had a turret move, unless I turned it myself on any of my 10X PMII's. The clicks are very crisp and positive.

They are parralax free at 300 meters. Proper cheekweld and eye posisioning when shooting at 100 will nulify any problems there. I try to work up my loads at 300 anyway. I believe they are only available in mil/mil, with 13.0 mils of elevation travel(apprx 51 moa).

No comment on Leupold's M1 turrets, as I never ran one.

Can you move the scope and take a good pic of the wall and mounts? grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pika: When you say "easy to move" are you referring to rotation of the knobs, or are you asking whether, once set, the knobs will loose their "ZERO."?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Frankly, I've never seen anyone who could shoot as good a group with some parallax as w/o any. However, in this case, on big game, you aren't going to have any significant group size differences at 100-200 yds. That's why I usually set my scopes to be parallax free at 300 yds., not 100 yds.
The big advantage of this particular design is one gets significantly more depth of focus than one does with a 10x scope that has a side focus/parrallax adjustment. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 07/29/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

This is a 3 shot group at 100 meters shot with the 10X PMII during load development.

I know that Scenarshooter has some much better ones. As most likely do alot of other guys on this board.....I'm not a particularly good shot by any means.

But my point is, the "parallax issue" really isn't an issue.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And by the way Pika, welcome to the 'Fire....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should have left that rifle with me here in Montana last spring..........grin! Maybe I'll get to see you kill a mule deer buck with it up here this fall.......

[Linked Image]
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
How much parallax did the scope have when you shot that group ? E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm curious what application you guys use the fixed 10x for? Dedicated medium-range hunting and/or tac comp?

1pika Offline OP
OP Offline
Just wondering if they will spin while being pulled out of a scabbard, sounds like it may not be such an issue. If they are set at parallax free for 300m what is the maximum you could be off at 50 to 100yrds if not fully set up properly behind this scope?

1pika Offline OP
OP Offline
If you ordered talley mounts which ones (height) would you recommend for this scope?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just wondering if they will spin while being pulled out of a scabbard, sounds like it may not be such an issue. If they are set at parallax free for 300m what is the maximum you could be off at 50 to 100yrds if not fully set up properly behind this scope?

I've pulled them in and out of rifle scabbards hundreds of times without anything ever moving. Even had a horse roll over on my rifle, while I was leading it out on Boulder Pass in the Absoroka Beartooth Wilderess in a blizzard in the middle of the night. Scuffed the paint off the bolt handle, but the scope was good to go. Never changed POI either.

Talley 30MM, LW low's are what I use on my lightweight rifles with that scope.

[Linked Image]
1pika Offline OP
OP Offline
Scenarshooter/Oldslowdog what brought you to picking this scope over a variable? Is this your primary hunting scope? Also wouldn't mind knowing what cartridges you are setting this scope up for, thanks..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scenarshooter/Oldslowdog what brought you to picking this scope over a variable? Is this your primary hunting scope? Also wouldn't mind knowing what cartridges you are setting this scope up for, thanks..

I can't speak for Scenarshooter, but this is my take on it.

I like simple. Simple works.

For a hunting rifle, the 10X scope is lighter than a variable, faster, and extremely rugged. Its view is amazingly clear and the mildot reticle really helps when holding for wind.

You really aren't giving up much of anything with this scope. If you wanted to jumpshoot driven deer on the run, you might want a bit less magnification, but that's not how I hunt. Nor plan to.

The 30 MM tube allows alot of recticle travel which enables you to set it up for virtually any cartridge. Mine is on a . 308 and even with that, I have the ability to dial out well past 1000 meters- if I ever wanted to shoot it that far.

I know that its expensive(it took me two years of saving overtime money) but if you get one, I think you'll find it worth every penny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

E,

Its got a little parallax in it if you really move your eye around, but if you hold/aim consistantly, it's kept to a minimum.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 07/30/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I'm curious what application you guys use the fixed 10x for? Dedicated medium-range hunting and/or tac comp?

It was built as a hunting rig, but I'm planning on getting some Badger style bottom metal w/AI mags this winter and trying a tactical comp with it next year.

Just for the practice.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 07/30/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,190
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.