Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm with you. You can't beat the African variety for hard use. I can always put a triple X stock on when I'm too old get out of the yard....suggest the glass critics open a museum and I'll gladly sell them my actions to preserve them for posterity--that should get a guy up to purgatory.

IIRC the actual spread when the actions were stripped was 3.5 ounces...:) That along with a Lupy over Euro glass covers the lunch and lately, lunch AND ammo.

Defend the Constitution
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chetaf

That is like refusing to marry a pretty woman because she might get wrinkles and instead choosing a girl that is ugly to start with. grin

Chet

You KNOW I'm going to steal that! grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Matt:

I certainly would put a g33 in a tacky artificial stock particularly if it was going to be a serious hunting tool in nasty places...which is what the mauser action represents to me. Have a 7x57 chambered g33 in a Bansner which I like very well and am sitting on another g33 action that will probably go into a Brown Pounder and be chambered to a 280AI...nearly bought a Kimber, but repented.

I also like beautiful walnut, beautifully finished--on shotguns, guncases and pianos. No checkering on the pianos, though.

The guy to talk to about light contoured barrels that shoot well is Dan Petersen:

Classic Barrel Works

Here is a pic of my 7x57 and a rare two-legged deer that are found in upper MN. It is a good place for scratches and dents

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickF
Originally Posted by Chetaf

That is like refusing to marry a pretty woman because she might get wrinkles and instead choosing a girl that is ugly to start with. grin

Chet

You KNOW I'm going to steal that! grin

Feel free! I just made it up anyway. grin

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chet,

That's great!

I'm always astounded how these threads turn into an either/or argument. I was an early fan of synthetic stocks and own a and hunt number of syn-stocked rifles, but I would hardly call a little snow in typical deer woods "extreme conditions."

Sometimes I wonder how anybody ever killed a big game animal back when the only stock material was wood.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Chet,

That's great!

I'm always astounded how these threads turn into an either/or argument. I was an early fan of synthetic stocks and own a and hunt number of syn-stocked rifles, but I would hardly call a little snow in typical deer woods "extreme conditions."

Sometimes I wonder how anybody ever killed a big game animal back when the only stock material was wood.

John,

I agree that there is a place for both synthetic and wood stocked rifles. If you are trying to go as light as possible or are going on a backpack goat hunt in southeast Alaska, then synthetic really has it's charm. If you are hunting with a standard weight sporter under more "normal" hunting conditions, wood works fine and is nicer to look at.

I have a pretty even split of wood and synthetic and use them all.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't want to be overly sensitive here...but are you referring to my response, John?

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well...maybe a little. But it was actually a general comment on how adamant many hunters get about the "necessity" for synthetic stocks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just me, but for me (and I know I'm an odd one...grin) I really like African Walnut cause of the fact that generally one has a rifle that is weight forward and for me I like that feel.

This is especially easy to accomplish if one keeps the weight of the syn handle to 28 oz or less. I do not like a rig that light in the barrel and heavy in the handle. If that makes sense?

For years Wby rifles/cartridges got a rap for being over aggressive when it comes to recoil (in other words people thought they kicked too dang hard). I've worked with a few of those rounds in a action that wasn't quite as heavy as the MKV and with a syn stock and kept the weight out front in the tube and viola it was mucho easier to deal with. Sorry bout the side rant there.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, by way of justification the hard part in the picture is certainly not the snow. One-half (and especially the custom rifle) have to go the first trip out. No roads or quad trails make it just a little harder than standard carcass removal over the rocky tops and stick for "mature" hunters. Bottom line--it ain't a pretty exit considering what one envisions as bipedal locomotion.

I also felt kind of sorry for the OP after his synthetic idea got bruised in the first half dozen posts....

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[Linked Image]

I sure like my 57 Chevy... wink

Dober

Not by me it didn't... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Irfubar did his g33 with a light blank that must have finished close to 28oz or less but I'll bet they are few and far between.

irfubar's

I like the feel of more barrel out front too, and have used the syns and aluminum bottoms to get there. 24oz w/the Bansner and the Brown claims lighter--will see.

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

John, I have come to the conclusion from reading posts here, that no one actually hunted and took game (At least trophy game...) before the inventions of Cerakote, Stainless, Fiberglass, etc... grin

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
tomk,

There is certainly nothing wrong with putting a synthetic stock on a Mauser 98 actioned rifle. One of my take-everything rifles is a .338 Winchester Magnum on a commercial FN action with a Bansner High Tech stock. It has gone a lot of places and been abused considerably over the decades and held up well!

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
John, after looking around a bit I may actually have a mauser or two in wood

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very nice!

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The oft neglected Swede makes into nice lean ??x57 rifle, all steel and wood to boot. Have condidered an MPI for my 7x57 96 but just can't get there.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

John, I have come to the conclusion from reading posts here, that no one actually hunted and took game (At least trophy game...) before the inventions of Cerakote, Stainless, Fiberglass, etc... grin

Yeah....Elgin Gates,JOC, Warren Page,Bob Hagel,Charles Sheldon,Pinnel and Talifson,Ralph Young......hunters and guides all and some were afield 2-10 months at a stretch..... wood/blue Chrome Moly Southgate Weatherby's, pre 64's, and Mausers.

What did they know? grin They never shot anything.....except trophy BG from the Himalaya's to Alaska and everywhere between.Filled a couple of books and some Grand Slams to boot...

Today the average rifle nut is moaning and wailing because Krieger won't turn a SS barrel light enough for him to maneuver a 5# rifle under the umbrella of his Summit tree stand to weather out a sunburst.

Only kidding! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob,

Very true! I noted something while I was at the Jack O'Connor Center last month. Jack's old #2 270 with scratches, dings and all still looks better than my new green McMillan stocked M70 with speckled paint and alloy bottom metal. Hmmmmm.....

Chet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And Bob, please don't forget Parker and Bowman...and of course that Dobrenski character wink

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/31/12.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.