Print Thread
Hop To
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd like to make some really tasty (spicy, but not "HOT") Jambalaya using smoked sausage and chicken or either one alone... or your favorite Jambalaya recipe is ok, too.

I've got one of Justin Wilson's cookbooks featuring both a sausage Jambalaya and a pork Jambalaya. The two recipes look easy, but I've found a good many excellent recipes of different things here in the past... and thought I'd see what our members have in the way of Jambalaya recipes.

Thanks in advance for your favorite Jambalaya recipe... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
our member, Simoneaud posted a really good recipe some years back. If you can find him, I bet he could give it to you.

I make a good jambalaya, but I don't really use a recipe. It probably is different each time I serve it.
Remember, this is not gumbo, so it is not a heavy, roux based dish. A good jambalaya is more like a Spanish paella, and is made much the same way. Raw rice added late, that cooks with the liquid already in the mixture.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 08/01/12.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Sam said the secret to good Jambalaya if there is one is not to make it too soupy. It should mound on the plate.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like making jambalaya but I have to modify it for my wife's allergies and tastes.

I only use cast iron pots like: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Cast-Iron-2.75-gal-Jambalaya-Pot/6220490/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla which give it a much richer flavor. This has become one of my favorite cast iron pots and I highly recommend buying one for stove top and camp fire cooking.

[Linked Image]

I have also heard great things about these (like the price) but the shipping to Alaska is outrageous: http://www.readydepot.com/servlet/the-74/Rusty-Goat-14-Quart/Detail

[Linked Image] It even comes with lifting handles for that price. wink

I tend to use whatever sausage is available and catches my eye from "Little Smokies" to hot links and reindeer. Most any chicken (or other bird) will work but my wife prefers a mixture of boneless, skinless thighs and breasts. I think that the dark meat works best. I use canned stewed tomatoes so that my wife can more easily pick them out, she hates beans, and she is allergic to shrimp. smirk

Having explained these limitations I first lightly brown the chicken in the cast iron pot then add water to cover and simmer 1+ hour until tender and a good broth has formed. I add a little salt and red pepper to flavor the chicken. You might want to strain the broth for appearance. Depending on the sausage type you might want to brown it before adding to chicken and broth. Add tomatoes (and cooked shrimp if your wife is not allergic to them) then guesstimate your liquid quantity and add half as much (not Minute) rice. Long grain rice from an Indian grocery is especially good. Add a little more salt and spices then cover and simmer for 30+ minutes until rice is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed. Fluff with a "fork" and serve with vinegar and hot sauces available. Stewed beans, fresh green beans, fried yellow squash,and skillet cornbread are good sides.

I have fixed "healthier" jambalaya skimming the fat off the broth and using brown rice. You will have to cook the brown rice a little longer to make sure that it is tender. It is OK but has no great fans.

I do not list quantities since I might use a 1 gal Dutch oven up to a 10 gal iron cauldron depending on the number of dinner guests and if you add a little more chicken than sausage or the other way around it does not matter that much. Jambalaya is more of an art than a science.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I prefer Cajun brown jambalaya to the Creole red type.

IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Arbalester
I have fixed "healthier" jambalaya skimming the fat off the broth and using brown rice. You will have to cook the brown rice a little longer to make sure that it is tender. It is OK but has no great fans.

I met a Cajun in an airport who suggested brown rice � Bingo! I had always had trouble with white rice being sticky/clumpy or under cooked. With brown rice you can stir and add more liquid much easier and it is a lot better for you. NO tomatoes!

Mines pretty simple:

Cook diced onions, peppers and garlic until caramelized � almost burnt. Add in diced chicken and browned sausage (cooked to be browned and get rid of some fat) and rice. Stir a �while� until browned and then add in some Cajun seasoning, thyme, a bay leaf or two, couple dashes Worcestershire sauce and then double the amount of liquid to the rice you used (ie 2 cups rice = 4 cups stock or water). Bring to a boil and cook about 45 mins. Stir and check occasionally, you may need to add a little more liquid. Garnish with green onions and parsley.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the information so far... I'm copying all of this down for future use. smile

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
easy search

Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Stocker, I have poste dthis before, so I thought I would post it again.

I am born and raised in New Iberia, LA eating Gumbo and Jambalaya.

Gumbo is like a soup, mostly juice with what ever meat you use and a little rice, served in a bowl, it is not served thick. unless you like it that way and load up your bowl with rice.

Jambalaya is served on a plate and is ( in South LA ) meat and rice that is slightly moist, and some what dark, kinda brown, when we see Jambalaya that is light colored, it is usually cause it's been stretched with rice, like at fund raisers.

ROUX - here in south LA, most of us just use Savoie's store bought roux -please don't knock it till you try it - they make a great roux, - light, med or dark. (If you have time make you own).

heres my recipe for chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

make 4-5 cups Rice in your Rice cooker

In a 12 or 14 QT magnalite pot or a black pot
Brown your chicken in oil until good-n-brown -remove chicken and let it cool, then Debone it (I use about 5-8 lbs leg QTS)
Cut up about 3 lbs Hillshire farm smoked sausage - brown it and remove from pot
Dice up 2 LG onions, 2 green bell peppers brown this in the pot with 3- tablespoons minced garlic - brown it good
Next add about 1/2 QT Savoie's dark Roux (you just have to play with it, some like it darker and richer than others)
Stir your roux into the veggies - don't let it stick, when it�s melted, add about 3 QTs of water, I sometimes use a few cans chicken broth also.
Once your roux has dissolved, add your meat back into the pot and add water/broth just enough to cover the meat.
Add 1 cup chopped green onions & � cup parsley
Add some Cajun seasoning, I like Konrico Creole seasoning (or just salt and red pepper)
Let it simmer (usually 1-2 hours) you want your chicken to finish cooking and the water/broth to drop below the meat line and thicken up some (from the roux) then add your rice and mix it up good.

Watch how much rice you add, this will determine the texture and the rice will swell and soak up some of the gravy after it sits a little while, we don�t like it too dry, When you serve your plate you should not have gravy going all over the plate

Thanks -js

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That looks pretty good and a bit easier to do than the other one posted.

Last edited by sse; 08/06/12.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

339 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 31 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,273
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.