Print Thread
Hop To
J
Just2L Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
It sounds like the state of South Dakota has decided to let hunters use peep sights, and other optics that do not increase magnification, for muzzleloader seasons. Prior seasons has been open sights only.

Was wondering if anyone had used any of the red dot sights with a muzzleloader, and what they had to say about them.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A 1x scope is a huge improvement over iron sights.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Agree. An aimpoint micro would be ideal

J
Just2L Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I was thinking of trying the Vortex Sparc or the Strike Fire. The Aimpoint is probably a little out of my price range.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just use the peep sight you will be surprised just how well the work on a muzzle loader

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bea175
just use the peep sight you will be surprised just how well the work on a muzzle loader

If you have good vision.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Weaver, Nikon, Burris, and Leupold all make 1X scopes. This might be better for you as I found that using a dot sight on a muzzleloader and a handgun, The dot tends to cover alot of the critter at 100 yrds and beyond. 50 and closer they are great, also low light situations werent the best either. Just food for thought.

Swifty

Swifty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a Nikon Monarch DOT 1X30TR APG VSD model #8432 on my Knight KP1 and the thing is just out of this world! Clear and crisp!

Now I have good vision and this scope has no eye relief, so when I look into it the dot is there hands down. All I do is turn it down as far as I can for brightness and the smallest dot setting there is and I can set it on a 100 yard target (those black ones you shoot and they turn green where they are hit) on the red bulls eye about a Nickel size and I can cover just the red bulls eye. I can squeeze 3 rounds of em off and plug a touching hole.

Now this is an expensive scope, well at least when I bought it, but in low light it operates great and pulls natural light into it to crisp it up. Hands down I would buy another! There is a new model about $329 but you can still get these for about $275 I recon.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hydrashocker
I use a Nikon Monarch DOT 1X30TR APG VSD model #8432 on my Knight KP1 and the thing is just out of this world! Clear and crisp!

Now I have good vision and this scope has no eye relief, so when I look into it the dot is there hands down. All I do is turn it down as far as I can for brightness and the smallest dot setting there is and I can set it on a 100 yard target (those black ones you shoot and they turn green where they are hit) on the red bulls eye about a Nickel size and I can cover just the red bulls eye. I can squeeze 3 rounds of em off and plug a touching hole.

Now this is an expensive scope, well at least when I bought it, but in low light it operates great and pulls natural light into it to crisp it up. Hands down I would buy another! There is a new model about $329 but you can still get these for about $275 I recon.

This looks like what you are talking about and it is on sale for $160:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK8432

Venor ergo sum
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Damn!

Yep that be it!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Been running Aimpoints on my muzzloaders for over 10 years.

Cant beat a comp c3 or 9000 series with a 2 moa dot.

Worth the money.

Covers less of the target then any 1x scope reticle I have ever looked through.

Shot some pretty good 100 and 200 yard groups over the years.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Just2L
It sounds like the state of South Dakota has decided to let hunters use peep sights, and other optics that do not increase magnification, for muzzleloader seasons. Prior seasons has been open sights only.

Was wondering if anyone had used any of the red dot sights with a muzzleloader, and what they had to say about them.

Red dots or reflex sights work great, it really doesn't get much easier than a good reflex sight for close range hunting.

10+ years back we could only use nonmag optics here as well. I went with open sights for a long time, then decided to purchase a 1x scope. They changed the law to allow mag optics the next year, so I only had one year on the 1x scope. Still have it in the gun room in the box if you're looking for a good deal, Swift 1x 32mm w/ regular duplex ret.

I've peered through other 1x scopes as well and they all shared one thing in common to my eyes, made things look smaller. I have used many illum dot type sights and never really had that impression, but all of the tube style scopes I've peered through made things look a touch smaller than no scope at all. I'd suggest peering through a few. Anyway, besides that little issue, I did find it much easier to kill game with that 1x scope than using standard open sights.

loder

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've peered through other 1x scopes as well and they all shared one thing in common to my eyes, made things look smaller.

Me too. I stated this on a thread a long time ago and was informed that I just did not know how to adjust it. I called BS and the poster never did explain how I had it mis-adjusted. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I've peered through other 1x scopes as well and they all shared one thing in common to my eyes, made things look smaller.

Me too. I stated this on a thread a long time ago and was informed that I just did not know how to adjust it. I called BS and the poster never did explain how I had it mis-adjusted. grin miles

Me three. I've had the same impression of things appearing to be smaller looking through a 1X scope.

It perked my curiosity so I just did a little experiment. I grabbed a paper towel roll and looked through while it covering my other eye. By gosh by golly I got the same effect as looking through a 1X scope. A small tree about 125 yards off my back deck appeared to be smaller.

I'd be curious to see if anybody else notices the same effect peering through a paper towel roll.

How bout it?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Since I lost the sight in one eye.

It looks the same to me. smile

M
M
In the woods a red dot sight for deer would be a great tool. I have issues with dot sights otherwise as I had one on a 22 and if you are out in the sun, especially if the sun is somewhat behind you, the dot would be too washed out to see. If you are not in direct sunlight it is a completely different animal and quite handy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1lesfox, 257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,284
Posts18,525,668
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.