-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll be in Calgary Alberta in the near future for "work". However I will have several days to enjoy some trails. I need some trails within a couple hours drive from Calgary. I can't overnight, so day trails only. Anybody have some good recommendations?? I've never hiked in those parts...any trouble with bear or other critters? Bear spray the best line of defense I guess? Any must see areas while I'm there?

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You picked a good work spot Calgary has some of the best trails scenary in the world let along Canada. Within 2 hours of Calgary there are enough hikes to keep you busy for years and years and years.

http://www.kananaskis.com/canmore-hiking-trails.htm

Here is a few spots suggested by others

1. Cory Pass, it is a great hike near banff that offers a view of a dog tooth mountain named Louis and the vally of the Gargoyles. You can also complete a three peak travers of Mount Cory on you way out from the pass. Cory has chimmneys and gullys and lots of scrambling fun. It is by far the most bang for your efforts in the Banff townsite area.

2. Bow hut, it is the alpine Club of Canada's most interesting hut. The hike in will pass by the bow falls and the mouse trap on your way to a hut located just below the Wapta icefield. It would be a great place to spend a night in an ACC hut and to maybe get out onto a glacier (knowledge and skills pending).

3. Mount Wilcox or just Wilcox Pass. A breathtaking view of the Athabaska Glacier from the top of the mountain accross the street from it. You will be able to watch lots of tourists take the boring bus ride onto the glacier from this vantage point. You can see snowdome, Kitchner, Athabasca and many more peaks surrounding columbia icefield. The scramble is exposed but not to crazy.

4. Ski tour the French, Haig and Robertson Glaciers (knowledge and skills pending). This is a great long day the includes three glaciers, some long touring and some rewarding turns for your efforts.

5. Troll Falls in Kananaskis is a great falls hike that is really easy and offers adventure if you want to keep going there are about 8 waterfalls that range in size. One makes a pretty nice canyon.

6. Northover Ridge, although not a day hike is a great muti day ridge walk that take you along the continental divide for some stunning views. Some do this in a day, but I think that's crazy. Take some time and do it in three with stops at Aster and Three Isle lakes.

7. The Iceline trail in Yoho is grat for glaciers and a high view of Takakawa Falls. This is also a great multi day hike that can include Twin falls and others...

8. Lake O'Hara is one of the most senic places in the Rockies. You have day hikes there that can include lakes and glaciers. There is also a hut there that has lot's of history as one of the ACC's oldest huts...

As for wildlife there are grizzly's and elk which can pose hazards. so bring a whistle a walking stick and a slower friend. LOL

lastly here is a book that has been recommened. it my be spendy so check the library

http://www.hikingcamping.com/hike-rockies.php

Have fun
Trevor

P.S. If you decide to go to Banff you need to take the gondola.

Last edited by Trevor60; 08/02/12.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
There are a ton of good trails/hikes around. Get some of the Gemtrek maps of the area West and SouthWest of town, look at the suggestions on the back, or find your own. You are really only lmited by your enthusiasm and fitness!

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well...false alarm I guess. I'm only gonna get one day there now. Thanks tho guys. That sure is some beautiful country up there.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.