Print Thread
Hop To
#6746587 08/05/12
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I recently bought some wc842 military (cfe223) this stuff really shoots in everything I have tried it in BUTTTTTTTT its hot Even starting loads with cfe223 data give me a few punctured primers Im using cci 400 primers and get no other pressure signs with starting load . guns are my go toos so not worried about them. Is there a harder primer I can try . Im REALLY likn this powder if I can get over this prob. HELP

Last edited by Paperkiller; 08/05/12.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
CCI #41 Primers are made specifically for 5.56 applications, including full-auto military weapons. They are the toughest primers I know of.

That said, if you're piercing primers, even with book loads, then your rifles are telling you to back off the loads. Something in the loads isn't working and tougher primers may not be the safe answer. On the other hand, if they are piercing due to very hard firing pin strikes and not pressure, then the CCI #41 will help.

You may also want to look at firing pin protrusion depth...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Ed. If you are piercing, you should back off even with a harder primer.

You should also replace your firing pin. Once you pierce, the tip gets eroded and causes more pierces.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Paperkiller
I recently bought some wc842 military (cfe223) this stuff really shoots in everything I have tried it in BUTTTTTTTT its hot Even starting loads with cfe223 data give me a few punctured primers Im using cci 400 primers and get no other pressure signs with starting load . guns are my go toos so not worried about them. Is there a harder primer I can try . Im REALLY likn this powder if I can get over this prob. HELP

Paperkiller,

As followup, are your "go-to" rifles, semi-autos by any chance? The CCI #41's were designed to prevent slam fires in semi & full auto weapons, thus the tougher cup material.

Have the firing pin springs been replaced?

What other powders have you successfully used in these rifles?

As also mentioned, once you start piercing primers, firing pin erosion will make the problems even worse.

As you can tell, there are a number of things that could be causing the problem, and several possible solutions.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

WC842 is a bit hotter than CFE223. I also like it, but have discovered during workups that the powder loads perform better on the lower end of the CFE load data range. Like others have said, I'd back off the load before I change the primers.

Last edited by Earl48; 08/05/12.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Most of my rifles are 700 remingtons in one form or the other, Specifically been using a 40x repeater and a mag contour bbld. mod 7 also been working with a vtr. other powders are wc 846, 844, h335, blc2 , 748, T2208 which none have given probs with primers even sticky bolt ones I have had to back off of while working up loads.Im using the absolute starting load from hodgons datashould I try even lower than that ?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dude, your loads are too hot. For the fourth time, back it down, even if you have to go below starting data. Your lot of powder is faster than Hodgdon's CFE223.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you're blowing primers, finding a harder primer is not the answer to your problem. You're running too hot.

Aim for the exit hole.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks too all who have answered Ive read ( too much apparently) that just like never go above also never go below starting points
something ive never worried about .

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Have you checked the zero and cal on your powder scale recently? You could be throwing a heavier load than you think. Just thinking.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
FWIW - I had some primers a couple years ago blow 3 primers out of a box of 20 reloads. This was with a known good load I had been shooting in that rifle for years and well below book max. I sent them back with the sales rep that covered my FFL's shop and got a letter and a gift certificate from the manufacturer saying the primers were indeed defective in that lot. I'd agree with others here and back down on the powder first, but if it still happens it might not be the powder.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You could also have a grossly over size firing pin hole in your bolt, that would allow the primers to "blank".

With 842, you just have to work up a load for your rifle, and I would for sure check out the firing pin, firing pin protrusion, and bolt face for an over size firing pin hole.

Thick cup primers will solve a lot of your issues more than likely, Rem 7 1/2's, CCI BR-4's, CCI 450's, and CCI 41's if you can find them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.