Print Thread
Hop To
B
BooDude Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I fly fished for a little while and now have time to try again. I just found out I bought the wrong line weight and need to know if I can still use it. I have a Browning Diana grade graphite rod which is 8'6" long and labled #6 line. I bought Cabela's Prestige Warmwater WF8F. I have heard that I can go up or down one line weight but will it be a problem to go up two? I am hoping to use it in North Dakota for Pike or what ever else I can catch. Sorry for what may be a dumb question but I was only able to fly fish a couple of times before I had to put it away.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
For pike your rod is too small and action too soft.

With your current outfit and 8wt line you could get away with throwing smaller nymphs, poppers and maybe cast 50 ft or so. If not too windy. Fine for bass pan fish trout.

If serious about pike8 wt minimum fast action pole and a rocket taper or triangle taper line to throw those big flies. I use a shooting head for deeper water drop off s.

B
BooDude Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you for your help! I was mostly thinking bass and trout when I was in Idaho but now that I am in North Dakota almost everything that I have been catching is 12" to 30" pike. I have caught a couple of walleye and perch on lures but the rest have been the pike. I will keep looking for a lake with bass and start saving for a heavier pole.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Overlining a fast action rod is usually done because you are casting heavy or bulky flies and/or it is windy. Overlining a 6wt rod with an 8wt line doesn't mean you can turn your trout rod into a pike rod...even if you are able to cast the 8wt on a 6wt rod.

If you bought the line from Cabelas, you could exchange it for one that matches your rod. They will exchange fly lines.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is no such thing as a "pole" in the fly fishing world. It is called a rod. A pole is -- well, I'm not sure what it is exactly, maybe something like a meat rod? LOL

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B2

B
BooDude Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I thought my rod was an #8 so I bought the wrong line on clearance. It is a good idea to see if they wiil exchange it. Just trying to get by with what I have. I am working 1100 miles from home because I couldn't find a good job in Boise. So I am just trying to get by with what I have and learn to fly fish when I don't have 6 other people to worry about. Rod/pole or gun/rifle we all have our slang. I almost always call it a rod but knew what to do when Grandpa told me to get the "poles." smile

If I save through the winter I might be able to get an appropriate rod by Spring. And I will start looking for places to use my current rod, there are some lakes stocked with trout, bass and bluegill that I have not gotten to yet.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If saving up for a rod suggest TFO. Lifetime warranty. Can picked up a used one for around $120. TiCrx model

I know your model rod and it is a softer rod which is fine. If you pick up a 6 wt line get a double taper can use and when wear out and switch line around save from purchasing a new line.

If you can exchange line fine. You can still fish an over lined rod just cannot cast asbaccuratley or as far and can be discouraging for a beginner.

I am fished a 7 wt line on my 5 wt plenty of times when I forgot my reel with5 wt line.

Have fun

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You have two choices: Get a heavier rod made for 8-wt line (the better choice if you are fishing for pike) and/or get a 6-wt line and reel for your trout rod. The suggestion to get a double-taper line for the 6-wt is smart, but line quality is so good these days that they don't wear out like they used to. That's why you'll find mostly weight-forward lines on the racks. They can also be called "Trout Taper" or such but are just variations on the weight-forward theme.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I usually only go up 1 weight in line. I've never gone with a lighter line than the rod calls for. I generally go with what it calls for on lighter outfits (say up to 4 weight) and generally go a weight heavier with rods that call for 8 and 9 weight lines.

I prefer a torpedo or rocket taper to a double taper, but sometimes y' gotta do what y' gotta do. I'm not sure adding weight and going with a WF taper adds much on real light rods.

Example: this weekend I took my Sage TXL-F 0 weight out to abuse trout. When I got it, I bought a 0 weight DT Sage line. Later, because I really prefer WF, I bought a Rio 1 weight WF. I can't really say that the WF casts better with this light rod.

OTOH, with my old 8-weight Fenwick HMG, I can throw a lot more line with a WF, sink tip 9 weight than I can with a full floating WF 8 weight. It's more work, but it's more results, too.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just give it a try. The wife (Cookie) uses a 7 wt on a 5 wt rod for steelhead. The rod has a fair amount of spine, so it works well.

If it's any kind of line carrying head, one can chop off small lenghts until the forward end weight matches his rod.

If not the get an 8 wt rod.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/20/12.

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If money is tight just get a 7 wght line for your rod and have at it. I had a lot of fun up in Saskatchewan catching pike up to 30" or so on a pretty soft Sage rod. Your handicapped a bit on distance but its still fun, and that is what it is all about isn't it?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (anothergun, Amos63, 300_savage, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,824
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.