Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hello all,

I am looking for rain gear for an early season mt. goat hunt. I am hoping to get gear that will hold up to climbing and being in the rocks. I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks Again,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DDJ,

Where are you going hunting? Is it a horseback based hunt or a true backpack hunt? If you are going to a really wet area, say southeast Alaska, then Helly Hansen Impertech is a good way to go. It is tough and reasonably light. It's also easy to dry out if you have to spend the nights in small unheated tents.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm going to be hunting in the Crazies in Sept. I will be going in on horses but may be packing some as well. I am not thinking we will have Southeast Alaska type weather but want to be prepared for Sept weather in Montana.

Thanks,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will not need something as stout as Impertech, thought it would still work. Any light but high quality "quiet" type rain gear would work. I have a set of the Cabelas lightweight gear that I have used for six years and it still works well.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rab eVent jacket or any good rain shell using event. The pants you will have to decided lightweight vs duribility. I have found you can get away with a lighter weight jacket but pants will be destroyed easily. Paclite Gore-tex is a good choice for pants but is not that tough. I would avoid Marmot precip though if you happen to be looking at it. That is unless you want to replace it every year for both duribility and waterproofness reasons. I am sure others will have more options and opinions for you...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since I'm cheap, I'm using Red Ledge pants (ankle to hip zip) and a REI jacket. It's not the quietest setup but it keeps me dry and has held up. Just some penny pincher options...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I'm going to be hunting in the Crazies in Sept. I will be going in on horses but may be packing some as well. I am not thinking we will have Southeast Alaska type weather but want to be prepared for Sept weather in Montana.

Thanks,

ddj

Check out Cabela's "Space Rain" gear. For a drench HH is hard to beat. For just average conditions the space rain should be fine. It may tear in the thick stuff, but one hunt will not kill it. Mine has held up well even busting brush and thorns Grouse hunting. Has a few tears, but keeps the worst of it out. Both dry out quickly.

The Space Rain takes up little space and weighs next to nothing. Then again if the horse is doing most of the carrying, HH would be hard to beat. HH is also a great windbreaker. Space Rain not so much so.

Once it gets soaked, GoreTex is damp to put on until it has some drying time. Hate the stuff.

Last edited by battue; 08/02/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree the space rain gear is nice but for heavy rain I am sold on the kafuiu rain gear its light and will handle serious weather.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For the Crazies in Sept. a light rain jacket (I prefer eVent by far) like the Westcomb specter lt. would be my pick. You aren't going to need it much and if you blow a stalk on a goat because you're rain jacket is too loud there may be other problems. If you don't care about weight or breathability, or price is a concern, then just about anything decent is fine because, again, you're not likely to be in it a great deal. They are full on mountains, but not excessively wet. You're going to have a blast I'm sure, very awesome country.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The keywords here are "mt. goat hunt"! I would recommend the Sitka Gear Cloudburst Series.

I state this with confidence that it will handle the in climate weather and terrain comes along with Mt Goat hunting.

You could purchase something "cheaper" just bring some duct tape with you and hope you don't mind staying wet.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
IC B3

M
M
I have a set of the space rain gets from Cabelas and I'm not sure if it would hold up or not. It's nice lightweight stuff but it tears **really** easily. One briar or rock or even a stick at the right angle and it will tear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been blessed with sheep and goats all over our walls and Marmot precip rain gear has been with and used on all of the hunts...
Cheap, durable, weighs nothing.

Just one goat hunters two cents...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WindedBowhunter
The keywords here are "mt. goat hunt"! I would recommend the Sitka Gear Cloudburst Series.

I state this with confidence that it will handle the in climate weather and terrain comes along with Mt Goat hunting.

You could purchase something "cheaper" just bring some duct tape with you and hope you don't mind staying wet.

Better be good for $650 a set!
Sheesh...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have used the following very successfully in both rain and snow.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Camo-Rainwear/Mens-Hunting-Jackets-Parkas-Rainwear|/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104244480/i/104020380/Cabelas-Dry-Plus-Space-Rain8482-Ultra-Pack-Pullover-Rain-Jacket-150-Tall/750706.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclothing-mens-hunting-clothing-mens-hunting-camo-rainwear-mens-hunting-jackets-parkas-rainwear%2F_%2FN-1100956%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104020380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797080%253Bcat104244480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat104244480%3Bcat104020380

Alan

Wow! That's a huge link.

Last edited by GSSP; 08/07/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,074
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.