Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The background stuff:

Just purchased a new Bowtech Assassin Black Op's and had a QAD drop away installed. I have a dozen Maxima Hunters cut to length and ready to go with my 100 gr Muzzy's and Thunderhead's.
This is really a HUGE step from my 1996 Browning Spectrum II with XX75's!! smile
Now the tough part:
I still have my original Cobra release that I purchased in '96 with the old bow. It is a wrap style.
I have never used any release but that and am wondering about any feedback on what works well for everybody? I am not opposed to the style that is just held in your hand as it seems convenient but I like the stability I get with the wrist wrap.
Let the opinions begin!!! ......... lol

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
cant go wrong w/ any release from 'scott'. ive shot scott releases for 23 years and still use some i had when i was 10 yrs old.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got two old corbas that have worked fine for nearly 20 years. I recently picked up a tru-ball short-n-sweet. It is very nice, I really like the open hook as does my wife who is just starting out in archery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anything by scott, if you use a strap get one with buckles instead of velcro so you have it the same every time you put it on.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot the new Bowtech just about every year. I have the Insanity this year. It's nice. I've switched from Gold Tip to Maxima Blue Streak arrows last year. I shoot both a Scott Little Goose and a Scott Sabertooth. I have tried many others. I used a Copper John for a little while. I would (and have) recommend a Sabertooth. They come in several versions. I like the wrist strap with the buckle over the velcro, and I like the solid connection between the release and the buckle over the rope or ribbon. The one where you put the screw in different holes to adjust the length. Over an old style release, you are probably going to need another inch of draw (which is going to give you a little more speed) because it is a short jaw release. The jaws don't stick out as far. I usually increase the length of people's bows an inch and take up a little on the string loop to keep the draw the same. The last time I bought one I paid about $80 for it at Bass Pro but you will be years wearing the thing out, and the strap will wear first. I wore the velcro out on a couple, so I'd definitely go with the buckle.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scott Silver Horn is my newest addition to my collection. I also shoot a Scott Wildcat. Also have a Spot Hogg Saturday night special, but just haven't gotten used to that style of release yet.

In the past I've used Tru-ball and Trufire brands, not any real complaints about them, but prefer Scott.

A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life.

The King of Battle!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by NathanL
Anything by scott, if you use a strap get one with buckles instead of velcro so you have it the same every time you put it on.

This^^^.

Velcro is very LOUD also.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the feedback folks.

I am going to go up tomorrow and test fire a few of your suggestions. I really like the Trufire Hardcore which has a hook rather than a closing jaw. It is pretty convenient and is adjustable from 3 oz to 16 oz on trigger pressure and has 1.5" of adjustability. I am having a hard time with the $100 price tag on it though!! lol

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good release will last thru about a half dozen bows easily so it's not so bad to spend some money on a good one.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go ahead, take the plunge and buy a Carter thumb release ..... you won't regret it. Search Archery Talk and find 'em like new for $50-$75 less than online discount.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my two favorites, with the 2012 Easy 1 just arriving a couple of weeks ago. I've only had it out with the Drenalin LD a couple of times and now its a toss up between the Easy 1 four finger and the Chocolate Lite four finger.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like the Tru-fire for hunting and Scott's for range work. I shot Scott's initially, then found that I was "fumbling to get the loop when game was approaching.

I like the fold-back feature on the Tru-fire buckle releases, I find I make less noise wearing it that way. The Trufire is a closed release, I can hook the loop and forget about it.

I agree with the crowd, anything with a buckle is better in the woods than Velcro.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Fltecher .44.

I got it for half off at Bass Pro, I wish it was buckle not velcro but beggars can not be choosers.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
There are a lot of great list of releases made today. We carry Scott, Carter, Hamskea. Having said that, I would recommend that you head to your local shop and shoot different releases with your bow. Only you can decide if the release feels good to you. Just have someone what your shot sequence to ensure all the adjustments are correct and that there is no trigger punching! ;^)

Other than that, just stay away from a velcro stap, there is no place for velco in the woods or on the mountain!

Last edited by WindedBowhunter; 08/06/12.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have tried most of the releases on the market and nothing beat the Fletchunter in my opinion

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Winn Free Flight (with a hook) for me. Even with a string loop it is just as fast as fingers, can't drop it, dead-nuts reliable. Feels a bit like a fingers draw and you can pull more weight with a Winn comfortably.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have 2 Scott Little Goose w/buckle straps. 1 stays in my pack as a back-up in case of a drop or forget eek. I like them very much and my daughter shoots a Lil'Bitty Goose as well(buckle) I HATE velcro smirk

In the Land of the Blind, the one eyed man is King

Know guns,know peace,know safety..No guns,No peace,NO safety
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ive been using scott releases for years cant go wrong

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blah blah blah...

Make sure you stay away from a thumb release, the first time you have a wardrobe malfunction and that release takes off with your arrow, you will be sorry. Take a look at the Tru Ball Copperhead, here is a review by Dave Chapman.

My Copperhead has worked flawlessly for 6 seasons, one of which produced a P&Y mule deer, try that with a thumb release...

Review: TRU Ball Copperhead
Reviewed by Dave Chapman - Read about Dave's Wenaha unit hunt

I have successfully used a variety of mechanical releases over the years and enjoy experimenting with other types of releases to see if it they make a difference in accuracy during target practice with either field points or my hunting broadheads. Recently I had the opportunity to test the T.R.U. Ball Copperhead release and found that it TRU Ball Copperheadis �T.R.U.� to its name in a variety of ways. The easy adjust draw length feature, adjustable knurled trigger, and 360-degree rotating head make this one of the most accurate and easy shooting releases I have used in many years. The adjustable wrist strap is also a bonus feature I prefer.

Undoubtedly, consistency in every step of releasing the arrow leads to accuracy. The easy to adjust wrist strap allows for that consistency. One of the main reasons I liked the T.R.U. Ball Copperhead is the adjustable web buckle strap. I�ve used Velcro straps in the past, and experienced inconsistent strap length and TRU Bal Copperhead Bucklenoise when it creeps. Using a buckle strap allows consistency by using the same hole for the buckle and is very quiet in the field.

Another feature I liked was the easy adjust draw length feature in the T.R.U. Ball release. This feature allows me to shorten the length of the release and enables me to use the first knuckle of my index finger and back tension in my shoulder blade area to shoot the T.R.U. Ball Copperhead with ease and accuracy. Consequently, this allows me to use back tension and not punch the release which can cause inconsistent shooting. Using your finger and back tension can be a surprise when the arrow is released. It�s similar to squeezing a trigger on a rifle vs. jerking the trigger. Also, not using back tension can lead to the tendency of anticipating the release, which leads to inconsistent shooting and eventually target panic.
TRU Ball Copperhead Trigger
I also like the adjustable knurled finger trigger because of the sure grip and precise sensitivity adjustment. This feature provides extra insurance needed in situations such as wet or icy weather conditionsCopperhead Rating, and allows more control over release of the arrow.

Finally, the 360-degree rotating head feature prevents torque of the bowstring, which results in more consistency shot after shot. The rotating head can also be locked down in a fixed position by a tightening screw if desired.

The T.R.U. Ball Copperhead release will be my first choice this coming hunting season because of the ease of use, consistency, and control it provides. When in the field with my pin on my target, I want to rely on the equipment I feel most confident with and the T.R.U. Ball Copperhead fits this bill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by mcshunatona
Thanks for the feedback folks.

... I really like the Trufire Hardcore which has a hook rather than a closing jaw. ...
Mark

I purchased a TruFire Hardcore and love it. I have gotten in the habit of pressing on the hook before I hook the D loop just to make sure it resets.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I like my TruFire. It's very comfotable and fitss me right. I tried a Scott, but it was too short. My vanes would touch my mouth if I used my normal anchor point. I still use it as a backup. Try a couple. Can't hurt to have a backup in case you forget something at the house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 257 mag, 219DW, 19 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,727
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.