Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 951 of 1,842 1 2 949 950 951 952 953 1841 1842
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, all you cat hunters can come to Iowa. We have the same long-tailed cats that you do, but here they can be shot on sight. Bears too. No limit, no tag, no caliber restrictions, no method restrictions. Anyway you want'em, you can kill'em. smile

I know a few guys that try tracking the black helicopters at night - sort of like the other guys that follow the hatchery trucks. smile

No crazy person has shot at me lately though one stupid deer hunter did a few years ago. He missed, fortunately (or not, depending).

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Yeah that's different, shoot the damn thing. (be prepared to prove your case to a conservation officer though)

Or internet biologists.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone

Or internet biologists.

Man, there must be several hundred of those types around here wink Everyone is a biology expert.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I lit this match, and it was a little tongue-in-cheek. I have a degree from the UW - Stevens Point College of Natural Resources, one of the bigger programs around.

I think Brent is right about the dedication and commitment of most DNR Biologists and employees in general. Most of them have to scrape by on short-term jobs/assignments with little pay and few/no benefits until they get a permanent position. There's easier money to be made, so the ones that stick really are committed. The hard science they perform is necessary to provide proof and reliable data for mangement decisions, etc. Some of it might seem like minutiae but it's where real discoveries are made.

Tom is also right in that there has seemed to be such a dismissive attitude from many state DNR offices about citizen input. I'm sure there are BS calls all the time, but when the anecdotal evidence adds up, or if the DNR employee has gotten to know the people in their area and they know who to trust, then they have to believe that something is going on. I think there are people (farmers, loggers, hunters/fishers/gatherers) that spend most of their time on the land that regularly see things that would amaze most of us, biologists and technicians included.

Fish and wildlife management is a tough game. Multi-faceted, fluid, with numerous unpredictables, and funded by a group that sometimes doesn't know what it really wants, I don't envy the job. But those who do sign up for it need to understand what they've taken on and who they need to work with. I think Wisconsin's "Deer Czar" idea was a good one, and it may point to ways to rebuild the trust that's been lost between the DNR and the people. Rebuilding that trust, and more willingness to give and take, might keep them from the slippery slope of legislated management goals and practices.

Now, can we talk about game wardens that wait for a crime to be committed or create opportunities to violate (read "Robo-Deer") rather than work to prevent a crime in the first place?

and "Cheers!" to Uncle Dusty

Last edited by Pointbock; 08/08/12. Reason: spelling

Support your local brewer.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
NOW MUFFY! WHERES DUSTY'S HOUSE!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking good Uncle Dusty !!! ( from NDs pic ) cool
Thoughts and prayers continue for you and your family .

The puddy tats . A fine line they need to walk , say yup we have one and get folks all upset , vs making sure there is a breeding population and letting folks know so they can be prepared.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BrentD

No crazy person has shot at me lately though one stupid deer hunter did a few years ago. He missed, fortunately (or not, depending).

How do you handle that?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wonder what the ROI is on the Robo Deer? They cost a bunch to make. Do they make up the $ in fines?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone

How do you handle that?

Well, I didn't shoot him - or at him even. Duck loads at 75 yards vs scoped slug guns wasn't much of a match. The rest - you don't really need to hear. Have to trust me on that.

Last edited by BrentD; 08/08/12.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Brent,I for one am glad that no harm came to you.I'm sure you handled it in a forthright and decisive manner.
I will beware of agendized puddy tats.Thanks for the admonition.LOL.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Well, I didn't shoot him - or at him even. Duck loads at 75 yards vs scoped slug guns wasn't much of a match. The rest - you don't really need to hear. Have to trust me on that.

I get the general idea. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the only reasons I'm in the forestry field and not the wildlife biology field is I was smart enough to see how weirdly biased the public was against biologists. I get general support from my customers. Sometimes more than I want.

I do tire of the "agenda" or "don't know what they're doing" BS that Minnesota and Wisconsin are particularly proud to offer to professionals who frankly are trying their best to get you what YOU need. I don't see an agenda. Sometimes they work pretty hard to protect sportsman from themselves - and it's warranted.

For goodness sakes. If you wanted to be a wildlife biologist, why didn't you pursue that? It was available to you. Get to know the ones's you have and I think you'll have a different opinion.

Last edited by 4_S_ter; 08/08/12. Reason: why, not whay

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter
I do tire of the "agenda" or "don't know what they're doing" BS that Minnesota and Wisconsin are particularly proud to offer to professionals who frankly are trying their best to get you what YOU need. I don't see an agenda. Sometimes they work pretty hard to protect sportsman from themselves - and it's warranted.

+1,000,000 Especially that last sentence.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't resist.....

What is everyones thoughts on wolves?
smile smile smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BANG!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Couple things. 1) I said before, agenda was the wrong word in this case and I apologize for that.

I didn't say they don't know what they're doing. But at times the DNR, has flat out lied to the public. They've ignored suggestions and many times take a "high horse" attitude toward the folks that pay their salaries. I haven't noticed it as much in MN but in WI it was and still is a problem.

MN DNR is going a bit nuts on the boating regs recently though with things like pulling over boaters on the highway into "check stations" to look for weeds. I won't even get started on it, if you want to discuss it, start another thread and I'll be more than happy to partake in it.

2) I did want to be a biologist. I was enrolled in UW St.Point and was recruited to play on the football team. Then I had a change of heart when I did more research and decided it wasn't worth my time to invest all that time in school, and earn what the agencies were paying grads. I also didn't think I'd get to hunt and fish as much as I wanted to do. It turns out I was right on both accounts. They pay got better and the retirement is good, but I get that part anyway.

I'm sorry if I offended you Craig, it wasn't my intention.

Dave, I'm sorry your thread went off the tracks and headed in this direction.

Last edited by tzone; 08/08/12.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Tzone,

Now that's why this is my favorite thread. Folks can disagree about all kinds of important (and trivial) matters, but there is always someone who mans up and acts like an adult, when things start to get a little out of hand. Mind you, I didn't think things were all that out of hand anyway.
I was kind of enjoying the back and forth. I sure wish I could have a chance, however remote, of seeing a big predator in my neck of the woods (OH). If I saw a bear or cougar while I was sitting in my stand, first I'd pee my pants and then I'd tell everyone who would listen, no matter who said I was hallucinating!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh I don't think it was out of hand, but it was headed in that direction and this thread isn't about that. There are 100 other ones on this site I can argue with someone on. smile

Have a good night dudes...and Ma and Muffy. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mornin! I don't think it was out of hand either, but it is a touchy subject regardless of the state. and honestly, both sides are right. mostly has to do with who they have interacted with in the past.

anyway, I need some help with something.
I've been watching a doe whos ears are messed up
here is a pic, does anyone know what might be causing this?

[Linked Image]

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
it look s to me like they could have froze off. I had a cat that it happened to once.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Page 951 of 1,842 1 2 949 950 951 952 953 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.