-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Considering that $8,600.00 is more than I spent for my last 4 vehicles COMBINED, I'd pass on both of them. Dead is dead, and my old Mauser has never let me down. Not once. If I'm waxing nostalgic, I'll take out my 99. I'm sure it's not the answer you were looking for, but that's just my 2 cents worth.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by sig45elite
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite things about the 'fire.

If you ask a question, you WILL get an answer. It may not be the one you want to hear, but you will get an answer.

I did not have a "answer I wanted to hear"...really did want the feedback from maybe some who had a Blaser or those other rifles...?
May be able to get the guy with the Blaser down around $7K now, as he is desperate for cash?
Then you have what would amount to 2 custom-like rifles, $3,500. each, about avg..
Getting a .416 Rem & .300 WM in one stock, aids in familiarity with one sytem / safety / action... I like that idea. It travels well, quick to break down and reassemble or switch calibers, short compact even when assembled, quick into action like a lever guide gun, can carry "one down the pipe" safely, dunno, what's not to like?
But I have not decided, nothing wrong with a couple of Win. 70 or the like but already have those. This gun and a few barrels could replace a whole safe full of rifles!
Two good Kimbers will cost $7K or more.

I already have the usual suspects mentioned...may get rid of them too.

And U.S. made, well I am all for that, but the Germans make some pretty fine stuff and I have nothing against getting the most for my money.

if it is what you wanna get
go for it

if i had that type of money to spend
i would get a .30-378 weatherby of some sort for around 1500-2000 grand and put some decent glass on it
and get a .416 also for around the same price range with decent glass
and then get a bad bull muzzleloader with decent glass

then my 8500 would money well spent for me

but thats me
not you

you get what you want
its gonna be your rig
not someone elses

good luck with it man !!!!!!!!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I SAID...I have Wins & Rems in the common cheap calibers

The Blaser and you deserve each other.

Always from the woodwork, comes someone with unwarranted / unmerited sarcasm...wise-guys with their useless responses wink

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I SAID...I have Wins & Rems in the common cheap calibers

The Blaser and you deserve each other.

Always from the woodwork, comes someone with unwarranted / unmerited sarcasm...wise-guys with their useless responses wink

Can I be the first to call it?

Larry Root

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I SAID...I have Wins & Rems in the common cheap calibers."

You must be, all that and a bag of chips...

Really, it's up to you. Make yourself happy.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 08/09/12.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Raisuli
sig45elite,

It's the cartridges more than the rifles. I hunt the west exclusively. Any big game animal in the west can be taken with any cartridge in the .280 Rem/.308 Win/'06 class of cartridges.

I own more than a few big game rifles. Before my shoulder surgeries, my 7MM Rem Mag was my exclusive big game rifle. In reality, a .280 Rem will do everything its big brother will do. Now my big game rifle is my .308 Win. I no longer can withstand recoil of magnum cartridges. And as long as I do my part, I have complete confidence that my .308 Win will do its part.

Before I realized that there's magic in .284 bullets, I used 130 grain bullets out of a .270 Win for everything.

Bottom line: buy that which you most like. If you want to hunt with a .416 Rem Mag, that's your business. However, in the states you mentioned, a 7MM-08 Rem will work.

BTW, when I first got into big game hunting, the most often seen cartridge was the 7MM Rem Mag. However, that was before the .280 Rem was available in bolt action rifles. Now it seems like I am seeing more & more hunters using the .308 Win. And the reason is it works w/o knocking their users back into the 19th century.

Best of luck,

R

If you were hunting large game, in a region were large and often aggressive Browns & Grizzlies are plentiful, and in dense wood, would you want to stop try and stop a charge with a .30-06, 7mm, or .308...or your favorite 8mm?
I know it could be done with a very well place CNS shot (mostly lucky shot) and the same goes for a .40 cal+ too, very good shot under extreme duress and little time regardless of caliber...but when it comes to one of the apex predators of the land, there is never "over-gunned" !
I would rather hunt Elk-Moose with over-kill (.416), and be better armed in the unlikely but certainly possible bear attack. And while I know the .416's are on the light end of the "Big Bore" DG calibers, it does certainly hammer Cape Buff and the like and kills bears very dead very fast (when hunting them) ...it is much better than the venerable and quite capable .375's, which I considered strongly, but in the end, thought this package, as it presented itself, was a nice spread between the 2 calibers, each with specialized purpose, neither super expensive to shoot and neither with oppressive recoil.
And with a easy / quick barrel change, can hunt in areas where this is not an issue, such as Nevada, with the .300 WM.

Also, one can "practice" with his DG rifle, using a lighter, less expensive caliber like .300 WM and still retain ALL the feel & familiarity for the rifle when switching over to the big bore. Can even magna-port the .416 to give closer to equal recoil to the .300 and equal muzzle jump for quicker 2nd shots, so transition is not so different, not saying I will or need to, I am not recoil sensitive at all. The 22" heavy safari barrels and kick-stop aid in this already, however, the options are there.

Seems to have much going for it at not much more than two really nice turn-bolt rifles, as far as pretty wood stocks...well for me, the look nice for sure, nice in the safe, on the wall but beautiful wood is for furniture not hunting. Give me weather resistant crack resistant and accuracy aiding "synthetic" any day.
Being able to carry safely with one in the chamber is a plus to me, especially when hunting DG or they are in the area.

Also, one issue maybe I overlooked mentioning, but was part of my reasoning between the Blaser with 2 barrels / calibers...is NOT having to explain to my wife, why i am buying 2,3,4 more rifles, they Blaser looks just like one in a case, with extra parts...to the uninitiated (wife), lol.

Just my thoughts.
Still value all of yours, out there 'round the FIRE, as long as they are on-topic to OP.
Thanks!

Last edited by sig45elite; 08/09/12.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
sig45elite,

It's the cartridges more than the rifles. I hunt the west exclusively. Any big game animal in the west can be taken with any cartridge in the .280 Rem/.308 Win/'06 class of cartridges.

I own more than a few big game rifles. Before my shoulder surgeries, my 7MM Rem Mag was my exclusive big game rifle. In reality, a .280 Rem will do everything its big brother will do. Now my big game rifle is my .308 Win. I no longer can withstand recoil of magnum cartridges. And as long as I do my part, I have complete confidence that my .308 Win will do its part.

Before I realized that there's magic in .284 bullets, I used 130 grain bullets out of a .270 Win for everything.

Bottom line: buy that which you most like. If you want to hunt with a .416 Rem Mag, that's your business. However, in the states you mentioned, a 7MM-08 Rem will work.

BTW, when I first got into big game hunting, the most often seen cartridge was the 7MM Rem Mag. However, that was before the .280 Rem was available in bolt action rifles. Now it seems like I am seeing more & more hunters using the .308 Win. And the reason is it works w/o knocking their users back into the 19th century.

Best of luck,

R

If you were hunting large game, in a region were large and often aggressive Browns & Grizzlies are plentiful, and in dense wood, would you want to stop try and stop a charge with a .30-06, 7mm, or .308...or your favorite 8mm?
I know it could be done with a very well place CNS shot (mostly lucky shot) and the same goes for a .40 cal+ too, very good shot under extreme duress and little time regardless of caliber...but when it comes to one of the apex predators of the land, there is never "over-gunned" !
I would rather hunt Elk-Moose with over-kill (.416), and be better armed in the unlikely but certainly possible bear attack. And while I know the .416's are on the light end of the "Big Bore" DG calibers, it does certainly hammer Cape Buff and the like and kills bears very dead very fast (when hunting them) ...it is much better than the venerable and quite capable .375's, which I considered strongly, but in the end, thought this package, as it presented itself, was a nice spread between the 2 calibers, each with specialized purpose, neither super expensive to shoot and neither with oppressive recoil.
And with a easy / quick barrel change, can hunt in areas where this is not an issue, such as Nevada, with the .300 WM.

Also, one can "practice" with his DG rifle, using a lighter, less expensive caliber like .300 WM and still retain ALL the feel & familiarity for the rifle when switching over to the big bore. Can even magna-port the .416 to give closer to equal recoil to the .300 and equal muzzle jump for quicker 2nd shots, so transition is not so different, not saying I will or need to, I am not recoil sensitive at all. The 22" heavy safari barrels and kick-stop aid in this already, however, the options are there.

Seems to have much going for it at not much more than two really nice turn-bolt rifles, as far as pretty wood stocks...well for me, the look nice for sure, nice in the safe, on the wall but beautiful wood is for furniture not hunting. Give me weather resistant crack resistant and accuracy aiding "synthetic" any day.
Being able to carry safely with one in the chamber is a plus to me, especially when hunting DG or they are in the area.

Also, one issue maybe I overlooked mentioning, but was part of my reasoning between the Blaser with 2 barrels / calibers...is NOT having to explain to my wife, why i am buying 2,3,4 more rifles, they Blaser looks just like one in a case, with extra parts...to the uninitiated (wife), lol.

Just my thoughts.
Still value all of yours, out there 'round the FIRE, as long as they are on-topic to OP.
Thanks!

"one issue maybe I overlooked mentioning, but was part of my reasoning between the Blaser with 2 barrels / calibers...]is NOT having to explain to my wife, why i am buying 2,3,4 more rifles, they Blaser looks just like one in a case, with extra parts...to the uninitiated (wife)"

Ha! Funny, the wife factor...real, real fear, lol.
You do reason out some good points to make a case for a switch barrel system available in almost any caliber from .222 to .500 calibers!
Blaser, Merkel, Mauser M03, among other fine makers come to mind.
Go for it!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by bullets4yogi
sig45elite,

Best of luck,

R

Just my thoughts.
Thanks!

"one issue maybe I overlooked mentioning, but was part of my reasoning between the Blaser with 2 barrels / calibers...]is NOT having to explain to my wife, why i am buying 2,3,4 more rifles, they Blaser looks just like one in a case, with extra parts...to the uninitiated (wife)"

Ha! Funny, the wife factor...real, real fear, lol.
You do reason out some good points to make a case for a switch barrel system available in almost any caliber from .222 to .500 calibers!
Blaser, Merkel, Mauser M03, among other fine makers come to mind.
Go for it!

Yes, funny to you single guys or guys with rabid gun wives that hunt, but for some of us, we have to answer to our significant other, especially when there are endless things to buy for the house. eek

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Here comes another forum "ranter", does this make you feel good about yourselves to disparage another's post, ideas, etc.?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Here comes another forum "ranter", does this make you feel good about yourselves to disparage another's post, ideas, etc.?

...and this would be a really great forum, if it was not for the multitude here that use it as a substitution for beating the wife or kicking the dog.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Broncos better than Blasers.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I like Broncos better than Blasers.

No matter what, you can ALWAYS count on a OP / topic @ the "Campfire", to degenerate with youngsters & yahoos.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Ya gonna get that Korth feller talkin' chit again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

...and this would be a really great forum, if it was not for the multitude here that use it as a substitution for beating the wife or kicking the dog.

I was giving you a compliment, you don't care for "chips"

I said; you have to make yourself "happy"..

Well?

Have a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S

I was giving you a compliment, you don't care for "chips"

I said; you have to make yourself "happy"..

Well?

Have a good day.

You too...soorry, never heard that expression and still don't get it, sounded sarcastic, guess I have just come to expect that on these four-umms, which is why I do not frequent them often any longer, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...as if anyone cared in this cyber-stranger world.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Is this the wrong country / continent for the Blaser?
Why do so many not like it?
Tradition? Rigidity to change, suspicion for new tech?
Is it many cannot afford it?
Envy?
I could understand that.
Seriously, objectivity please, somebody...I can afford it but I also am not into wasting money for no good reason. Seems these rifles have a lot going for them, and proven technology?
Is it that most hunters, old timers, whatever are so resistant to change or advancement?
What?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is this the wrong country / continent for the Blaser?
Why do so many not like it?
Tradition? Rigidity to change, suspicion for new tech?
Is it many cannot afford it?
Envy?
I could understand that.
Seriously, objectivity please, somebody...I can afford it but I also am not into wasting money for no good reason. Seems these rifles have a lot going for them, and proven technology?
Is it that most hunters, old timers, whatever are so resistant to change or advancement?
What?

Blasers are okay. Not a good value, but nobody is gonna kick them out of bed. On the other hand, [bleep] aren't quite as popular.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Seems like there is a strong bias against them....is it a anti-Euro thing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think so. It's like paying ten grand for an ugly hooker. It just don't make no sense.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I don't think so. It's like paying ten grand for an ugly hooker. It just don't make no sense.

Oh, so it is the "look" of the rifle, non-traditional, you and others object to, because it is different to what-has-always-been...therefore it is ugly...I see.
The advanced technology may be part of the reason for the cost & that it is German and well...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,592
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.