Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Larry Root rides again...

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whatever dude...but that don't sound like what I said. If you like ugly stuff that cost too much, good for you. Why do you need it to be okay with us?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sig45elite
Is this the wrong country / continent for the Blaser?
Why do so many not like it?
Tradition? Rigidity to change, suspicion for new tech?
Is it many cannot afford it?
Envy?
I could understand that.
Seriously, objectivity please, somebody...I can afford it but I also am not into wasting money for no good reason. Seems these rifles have a lot going for them, and proven technology?
Is it that most hunters, old timers, whatever are so resistant to change or advancement?
What?

Hi sig45elite,

Many of us have hunted many years. We know what works well under conditions in which we hunt. Most of us use traditional bolt actions, although I do have a semiauto; however, I have never hunted with it.

I have never cast aspersions upon any hunter for rifle and cartridge s/he; e.g mule deer, used. Buying a rifle and selecting a cartridge is a personal decision.

I don't think envy or fear of technology come into play. I think it has more to do with personal experience.

About a decade ago I hunted with a neophyte. He was a nice guy. In his middle age he wanted to take up big game hunting. He bought relatively expensive rifles: one a .300 Win Mag for medium big game; e.g., mule deer, and the other was a .375 H&H that he intended to use for really big North American big game. He had done more reading hunting magazines than talking to actual hunters. On the one big game hunt he had gone on with me, he told me that my 7MM Rem Mag was not enough gun for elk. I just agreed with him.

When he actually experienced the Rocky Mountains and learned that hunting Rocky Mountain Mule Deer was not easy, he had gone on his last big game hunt. Prior to that he had booked an Alaskan moose hunt. He didn't get a moose. However, I had heard that he had told Alaskan hunters what they needed to kill Alaskan big game.

While this obviously does not apply to you, had my buddy had asked hunters what was necessary to kill game he intended to hunt, he could have save a lot of money. He could have bought a .308 Win/'06 class rifle and would have been good-to-go.

This is an excellent forum. While I have hunted for nigh on 40 years, I have learned things I did not know from posters here who have experienced things I haven't. Learning is a lifelong process. I know that there is far more that I don't know than that which I think I know. How someone explains something to me ain't nearly as important as accuracy of information conveyed.

I wish you the best in your pending rifle purchase.

Best of luck,

R

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Personally, I would buy a fairly high-grade pair of rifles from either the Remington or Winchester custom shop. Have a a long heart-to-heart talk with the Custom Shop Representitive and order the rifles to match each other as closely as their recoil numbers will let you.

Personally, I'd go for synthetic stocks and stainless metal.

Calibers? .30-'06 and .375 H&H. Basically, critters under 1,500 pounds may be cleanly killed with the .30-'06; critters weighing in excess of 1,500 pounds pretty much need the .375 H&H (although I am guilty of killing an eland that weighed 2,352-pounds with my .30-'06 and a SINGLE 180-grain Hornady Spire Point Interlocked bullet ... cup-and core ... horrors!!!) grin

If lots of American praire hunting is on your schedule, add a .25-'06 or .257 Weatherby .... same stats as the .30-'06 and the .375.

Scopes? Your choice. Personally, I'd buy Leupolds; 3.5-10s on the low recoilling rifles and a 2.5-8 on the .375.

Mounts: Leupold QRs work well and if you want to throw some money away, matching scope backups, each with QR rings will ease any concerns.

Ammo. Personally, I'd handload. Otherwise, premium factory ammo with Nol=sler Partition bullets.

Have I hunted a lot and killed a great many animals, here and in Canada and in Afrika? YES.

And take all the extra money and get oodles and oodles of TRIGGER TIME. I cannot tell you how many rich men I had show up in camp (I guided for elk hunters for many years) ... they had a brand new $5,000 rifle and they'd never shot it and I ended up killing his bull for him.

The most notable was a fella, nice guy actually, who showed up in elk camp with a .416 Rigby with a 6.5-20 Leupold on it. Gorgeous $10,000 rifle that he'd never shot. I got him on a good bull and he planted the ocular lens of his scope in the middle of his forehead (bled like a fuggin' stuck hog) and gutshot the bull. Hey, it was NOT Pete's fault, he threw lots of greenbacks at the pretty rifle and had no idea about what he was doing. So, dammit, I ended up killing the gorgeous 320 bull with my lowly .308 Winchester.

My finest return hunter used a well-worn Remington 700 in .308 Winchester and killed quite efficently with 150-grain Remington Pointed Core Lokt bullets and (later) the Hornady 150-grain Spire Point Interlocked. He would NEVER shoot over 200 yards and he shot both lungs ... he was a guide's dream ... never rushed the shot, killed well and held legs with the best of them. grin

Trigger time, being totally familiar with your rifle, is incredibly important. A really good rifle, a good scope, decent bullets and an adequate cartridge is all you need.

You cannot buy marksmanship ... you must earn it. Trigger time is invaluable. Place a decent bullet through both lungs of an elk, moose or Cape buffalo and he's gonna die quickly ... you do not need the latest hard-kicking mega cartridge to kill, what you need is moderation and lots of time behind the scope.

May God Bless You and may you choose well,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Whatever dude...but that don't sound like what I said. If you like ugly stuff that cost too much, good for you. Why do you need it to be okay with us?

I don't, really don't...it just amuses me, who made you the purveyor of what is good looking or ugly?
Subjective, purely, that is all what you have to say is, you say it is "ugly"...that's just your opinion, yet you say-it like it is a FACT.
Ever here of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ...was true when 1st penned, still true today!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2 Moon Pies and an RC Cola.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Ya gonna get that Korth feller talkin' chit again.

For what it's worth - If I had $8,600 ...

I'd buy the KORTH !!!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Raisuli
Is this the wrong country / continent for the Blaser?
Why do so many not like it?
Tradition? Rigidity to change, suspicion for new tech?
Is it many cannot afford it?
Envy?
I could understand that.
Seriously, objectivity please, somebody...I can afford it but I also am not into wasting money for no good reason. Seems these rifles have a lot going for them, and proven technology?
Is it that most hunters, old timers, whatever are so resistant to change or advancement?
What?

Hi sig45elite,

Many of us have hunted many years. We know what works well under conditions in which we hunt. Most of us use traditional bolt actions, although I do have a semiauto; however, I have never hunted with it.

I have never cast aspersions upon any hunter for rifle and cartridge s/he; e.g mule deer, used. Buying a rifle and selecting a cartridge is a personal decision.

I don't think envy or fear of technology come into play. I think it has more to do with personal experience.

About a decade ago I hunted with a neophyte. He was a nice guy. In his middle age he wanted to take up big game hunting. He bought relatively expensive rifles: one a .300 Win Mag for medium big game; e.g., mule deer, and the other was a .375 H&H that he intended to use for really big North American big game. He had done more reading hunting magazines than talking to actual hunters. On the one big game hunt he had gone on with me, he told me that my 7MM Rem Mag was not enough gun for elk. I just agreed with him.

When he actually experienced the Rocky Mountains and learned that hunting Rocky Mountain Mule Deer was not easy, he had gone on his last big game hunt. Prior to that he had booked an Alaskan moose hunt. He didn't get a moose. However, I had heard that he had told Alaskan hunters what they needed to kill Alaskan big game.

While this obviously does not apply to you, had my buddy had asked hunters what was necessary to kill game he intended to hunt, he could have save a lot of money. He could have bought a .308 Win/'06 class rifle and would have been good-to-go.

This is an excellent forum. While I have hunted for nigh on 40 years, I have learned things I did not know from posters here who have experienced things I haven't. Learning is a lifelong process. I know that there is far more that I don't know than that which I think I know. How someone explains something to me ain't nearly as important as accuracy of information conveyed.

I wish you the best in your pending rifle purchase.

Best of luck,

R

There, see...someone capable of a civil, considerate and well thought out post.
Thanks. while, I am not a "a neophyte", I have not hunted for 40 years...took up big game hunting at 31 and am now 59. Before that dabbled in tactical hand-gunning & target shoots.
Where did I ever say...in my OP, that this choice of two "packages" or mini gun collections I was presented with, was to supply me with what I NEEDED to hunt with, or what would be adequate or practical to "get the job done", as one guy said? I know all that, I have all that. It was for the "choice" a want, not need.
Just wanted to get a "feel" for what others thought, or had experience with, and yes, I never had a Blaser, or even shot one, only read reviews and people seem to LOVE "EM...and they too, have a forum!
I dunno?
Why do guys on this and some other forums, feel the NEED to go on the defensive or in some cases, offensive or to immediatly want to point out how worthless, stupid, impractical, foolish, unconventional the OP is or his topic is.
Make them feel smart, uber-experienced, superior?
I am NOT talking about you Raisuli, or some others that gave civil sensible answers / input, but I find it 50-50 here, really repulsive and speaks to the ignorance & mentality of some outdoorsmen, hunters or gun aficionados?
But thanks, Raisuli...good points.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Blaser has good points for it's intended uses. Take down, compact portability, switch barrel/cartridge ect. However all that can be had with a rifle that actually looks like a rifle. Mauser M03. It can be had with a synthetic or wood stock of various grades. Best of all you won't have to warm up to that ugly ass Blaser!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Personally, I would buy a fairly high-grade pair of rifles from either the Remington or Winchester custom shop. Have a a long heart-to-heart talk with the Custom Shop Representitive and order the rifles to match each other as closely as their recoil numbers will let you.

Personally, I'd go for synthetic stocks and stainless metal.

Calibers? .30-'06 and .375 H&H. Basically, critters under 1,500 pounds may be cleanly killed with the .30-'06; critters weighing in excess of 1,500 pounds pretty much need the .375 H&H (although I am guilty of killing an eland that weighed 2,352-pounds with my .30-'06 and a SINGLE 180-grain Hornady Spire Point Interlocked bullet ... cup-and core ... horrors!!!) grin

If lots of American praire hunting is on your schedule, add a .25-'06 or .257 Weatherby .... same stats as the .30-'06 and the .375.

Scopes? Your choice. Personally, I'd buy Leupolds; 3.5-10s on the low recoilling rifles and a 2.5-8 on the .375.

Mounts: Leupold QRs work well and if you want to throw some money away, matching scope backups, each with QR rings will ease any concerns.

Ammo. Personally, I'd handload. Otherwise, premium factory ammo with Nol=sler Partition bullets.

Have I hunted a lot and killed a great many animals, here and in Canada and in Afrika? YES.

And take all the extra money and get oodles and oodles of TRIGGER TIME. I cannot tell you how many rich men I had show up in camp (I guided for elk hunters for many years) ... they had a brand new $5,000 rifle and they'd never shot it and I ended up killing his bull for him.

The most notable was a fella, nice guy actually, who showed up in elk camp with a .416 Rigby with a 6.5-20 Leupold on it. Gorgeous $10,000 rifle that he'd never shot. I got him on a good bull and he planted the ocular lens of his scope in the middle of his forehead (bled like a fuggin' stuck hog) and gutshot the bull. Hey, it was NOT Pete's fault, he threw lots of greenbacks at the pretty rifle and had no idea about what he was doing. So, dammit, I ended up killing the gorgeous 320 bull with my lowly .308 Winchester.

My finest return hunter used a well-worn Remington 700 in .308 Winchester and killed quite efficently with 150-grain Remington Pointed Core Lokt bullets and (later) the Hornady 150-grain Spire Point Interlocked. He would NEVER shoot over 200 yards and he shot both lungs ... he was a guide's dream ... never rushed the shot, killed well and held legs with the best of them. grin

Trigger time, being totally familiar with your rifle, is incredibly important. A really good rifle, a good scope, decent bullets and an adequate cartridge is all you need.

You cannot buy marksmanship ... you must earn it. Trigger time is invaluable. Place a decent bullet through both lungs of an elk, moose or Cape buffalo and he's gonna die quickly ... you do not need the latest hard-kicking mega cartridge to kill, what you need is moderation and lots of time behind the scope.

May God Bless You and may you choose well,

Steve

ah, yes agreed, thanks... another thoughtful post, especially like your sign-off.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by nathanial
The Blaser has good points for it's intended uses. Take down, compact portability, switch barrel/cartridge ect. However all that can be had with a rifle that actually looks like a rifle. Mauser M03. It can be had with a synthetic or wood stock of various grades. Best of all you won't have to warm up to that ugly ass Blaser!

Funny, who ever decided "what a rifle looks like"?
Hmmm, does the Win.70 or Rem 700 look like a musket...flintlock...now that was what a rifle really looked like , ya think, huh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you are asking the question, I do, my opinion. Give the serious dope a rest.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't buy either package either! Like somone said, get a good Model 70, 700, 77, etc. which will shoot just as good and will cost you a heck of a lot less! You are not hunting animals LIKELY to be hunting you and those "packages" do not sound like a "DEAL" to me!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bet "he" has lots of interest in more "packages" than just Blasers.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Buy the blaser... a no brainer.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was going to buy a Blaser,it would be this one.

http://blaser-usa.com/K-95-Attache-Stutzen.110.0.html

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Larry Root rides again...

Sig45 and Bulletsforyogi are the same chick..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...70380/4_DG_rifles_hybrid_CRF#Post6470380

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
sig45elite,

Just my thoughts.
Still value all of yours, out there 'round the FIRE, as long as they are on-topic to OP.
Thanks!

sure sounds like that Root guy. Same pedantic, 'elite' attitude. Same failures at accuracy. Only here a month or so, and already an expert on the 'fire. lol

Sam......

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.