Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4pwr Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I prefer bait casting to spinning. Loose some distance but love the accuracy. I have a couple under $75. Am looking for a one time purchase of a good reel in the $150 range. Don`t require large capacity. 110 yard 8 or 10 lb would be fine. Any suggestions?

4pwr
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Daiwa Advantage is available in three grades. The top grade has more bearings and a wiffle spool. The medium grade, available at Wal-Mart, has a bearing or two more than the low grade and also has the wiffle. The low grade is comparable to the old Shimano Curado 100 or 200, which is saying a lot. No wiffle spool though and a lower bearing count than the others. All three will fit your criterion. The high and low are available at BPS. The high grade will run you $140, the low can be found in a package deal with a decent rod for only $100! I'd recommend the medium (again, at Wal-Mart) for $120. I like to choose my own rod.

The obsolete Curado, (just replaced by the "D") series, will fill your bill also. It is probably the best-selling baitcaster over the past ten years. You should be able to get one for $120 or less. Academy used to have them for $99 from time-to-time.

The new Citica from Shimano will replace the upgraded Curado at that price-point ($120). I haven't heard much about them. The old Citica was more of a bargain-basement proposition, but the new one is supposedly highly upgraded.

I've got a Pflueger President which has been good for me. These were hot sellers at $129.95. Check Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. Some decry their longevity, but so far, so good with my own example. I have mine mounted on a Falcon Lowrider and must admit that I haven't used it much since throwing away a $14 Pointer on December 30th last year. It wasn't the reel's fault though...lol

If you are willing to buy used, you should be able to get a Shimano Chronarch for the money you specified. They will be the best listed here IF you can find a used one.

kidd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a shimano curado bsf 201 for steelhead, but i didnt know they were discontinued. I can cast two split shot and a corky with it and not backlash, but you have to pay attention. I dont think a spinner rig casts farther, maybe but only with the very light weights. Awsome reel. Most of the time I do use spinning rigs now casting for steelhead out of a boat though because I use 2 or three split shot a lot and its just easier honestly when I am running a motor with the other hand and keeping the boat under control. But if I am bank fishing and casting all day its the curado I use. Great drag, very smooth.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wouldn't want to give away an awesome fishing hole... but look at how much reel you can buy on e-bay for not much money....................................

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I do beleave the old Curado now has another name and it costs less. I think I read it at a site about fishingMn.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.