Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have owned more than I care to remember model 70's and and a half dozen or more X-Bolts....I don't give two chits about history, I'd take an X-Bolt every time over the heavier and more bulky mod 70. every X-Bolt I ever owned was an MOA shooter right out of the box I can't say as much for the dozen or more model 70's I've owned, some of the later New Haven models were shamefull junk.( I expect the SC models are much better) The mod 70 is an old and much revered design but I'm livin in 2012 give me the light and sleek and supremely accurate X-Bolt....It's your choice.........Good luck..........Hb

Here are a few of the Classics made in New Haven.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/jmr40/?action=view&current=targets009.jpg

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/jmr40/?action=view&current=targets010.jpg

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rj308
"The A bolts were such a disaster of a rifle ", I call, BULL$HIT" you don't know what you are talking about safariman!

I have owned more than a couple, and seen them fail in the field. Do a search on A Bolts here and especially look at resident PH JJ Hacks comments about them. He has killed or seen under his guidance and close observation killed in his career as a PH and guide more game than probably any of the rest of us here, maybe more thn any 5 of us and he abhors them even more than I do. Mine (A borts) were accurate, and pretty, but were still crap.

Don't want to hickack this thread and turn it into another A Bolt Bashing thread, (there have been plenty here, and well deserved ones at that) I was answering a question based upon my expereinces. And yes, I DO and did know something about the subject. As always, YMMV.

Count me as one who values controlled round feed and rifle relaibility as very important and features that I seek. Better to have it and not need it (uberreliability/dependability) than to need it and not have it. I also abhor pot metal trigger housing and deicate pieces and parts that the Brownings to date have been known for. That is my view and opinon. The OP can give such the weight he thinks it deserves, which might be zero, and make his choice. I provided mine as per the thread request.

Last edited by safariman; 08/11/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Browning A-Bolt ll HUNTER 30/06
safariman Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Walla Walla USA / Zimbabwe
Another pretty gun here! Browwnings newest, updated, improved version of thier famous A Bolt rifle with engineering and anufacturing upgrades. I have never yet seen an A Bolt that did not shoot just lights OUT accurate. As with the 300WM version I just posted, I cannot find a safe ding, blemish, sctratch of any kind on this awsome looking rifle. Does not look as though a scope has ever been mounted yet so most likely still new, unfired. Beautiful wood with soft matte finish metal. All factory paperwork, manual etc in its original bag. $595.00 Shipped to your FFL.

Need a Gloss scope of good quality for another project so would consider such for a partial trade toward this fine rifle.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I have owned more than I care to remember model 70's and and a half dozen or more X-Bolts....I don't give two chits about history, I'd take an X-Bolt every time over the heavier and more bulky mod 70. every X-Bolt I ever owned was an MOA shooter right out of the box I can't say as much for the dozen or more model 70's I've owned, some of the later New Haven models were shamefull junk.( I expect the SC models are much better) The mod 70 is an old and much revered design but I'm livin in 2012 give me the light and sleek and supremely accurate X-Bolt....It's your choice.........Good luck..........Hb

Here are a few of the Classics made in New Haven.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/jmr40/?action=view&current=targets009.jpg

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/jmr40/?action=view&current=targets010.jpg
Very nice shooting with some accurate rifles and handloads, For years New Haven put out a well built rifle (yours maybe made during this period, I have no clue) I was refering to the junkers made in New Haven before they went so mercifully under and for good reason, if the SC rifles are of that poor quality there ain't much future for them either. Going by the reviews I don't think that is the case... consider yourself very lucky if your rifles were built just before New Haven choked out as they put out more dogs than anything else the last few years of production.................Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aboltfan
safariman Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Another pretty gun here! Browwnings newest, updated, improved version of thier famous A Bolt rifle with engineering and anufacturing upgrades. I have never yet seen an A Bolt that did not shoot just lights OUT accurate. As with the 300WM version I just posted, I cannot find a safe ding, blemish, sctratch of any kind on this awsome looking rifle. Does not look as though a scope has ever been mounted yet so most likely still new, unfired. Beautiful wood with soft matte finish metal. All factory paperwork, manual etc in its original bag. $595.00 Shipped to your FFL.

Need a Gloss scope of good quality for another project so would consider such for a partial trade toward this fine rifle.

I am not above flipping almost any rifle <G> and the description was accurate. I also admitted in my post against them that they ARE accurate, and attractive. Also, I was commenting about rifle A Vs Rifle B choice and gave my opinion But, Why do you suppose I was selling and not keeping? smile Note that my recently aquired (at a GREAT price, and have written about it here) Pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H is NOT for sale despite the opportunity to clear a cool $1k on the deal if I did. Voting with my wallet, and actions, so to speak.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The top rifle is what I consider the Holy Grail of hunting rifles. I had been on the lookout for one for years and found it NIB at a gunshow back in May. It is a 1999 or 2000 gun I think. I paid a guy $700 for it and cut the hang tags off. It is one of the Stainless Classic Featherweights in 30-06.

I got home and looked on McMillian's Special's page and found an Edge stock at a reduced price for it and placed the order before ever firing the gun. Not the stock I would have ordered, but at that price, and to get it now, close enough. I put the redfield scope on it just to try it out, Since these photos I've put a Leupold 2.5-8X36 on it. It weighs 7.5 lbs as it sits and is a pretty good shooter.

The bottom rifle is a Classic stainless sporter from about the same time. I also found used at a gunshow. It had a Hogue stock on it. I bought the McMillan used from someone here and sold the Hogue the same way.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/jmr40/?action=view&current=guns1008.jpg

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/m513/jmr40/?action=view&current=guns1006.jpg

I have seen a few of the guns made closer to 2006 that were less than perfect. But most of the issues tend to be minor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TommyJ,

I favor the Winchester because it's made in the USA and not by the japs who started WW2. I see more pride in owning a Winchester.

Also the M 70's have that superior three position safety that allows a hot chamber to be unloaded and still control the firing pin. The CRF is nice machinery as well.

Take a look at the Kimber 84M rifles. I prefer them for deer hunting when I have to carry the rifle any distance.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Handle both and make your choice on which feels better to you.Both are fine rifles.I prefer the Winchester but personal fit and feel will trump any other differences.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
TommyJ,

They are both quality firearms. You will find lovers and haters of both. You will not go wrong with either. Go to a dealer, handle both, and base your choice on how they feel in your hands.

From what I have seen, most of the Browning haters are die hard CRF folks who hunt a lot of dangerous game. This will not matter for a deer rifle.

Base your choice on what looks and feels best to you. The accuracy and quality will be a wash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These are pretty different guns (i.e., safety, CRF & not CRF, stock size & lines, etc). RH Clark is dead on --- you have to go touch, feel, and hold them to see which fits you best and is most commfortable...regardless of all the obvious differences.

While I would never consider an xbolt over a winnie, there is no wrong choice (unless the brownng haters are right....DK as I dont own one!), just the best choice for you based on what fits best.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by setch; 08/12/12.
IC B3

T
TommyJ Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks very much everyone. This has been a big help. I'm going to town tomorrow and try them both. Right now, I'm hoping the Winchester fits best. TJ

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester for me, hands down

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The comment was made earlier on this thread, not to buy a Browning because they were made by the "Japs" that started the war. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The folks making the Brownings today, had no more to do with starting the war than white people today had to do with starting/allowing slavery back when. Lets face it. It's a world economy. No. We Americans don't have a big enough piece of the action, but that is 100% Americas fault.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by aboltfan
safariman Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I am not above flipping almost any rifle <G> and the description was accurate. I also admitted in my post against them that they ARE accurate, and attractive. Also, I was commenting about rifle A Vs Rifle B choice and gave my opinion But, Why do you suppose I was selling and not keeping? smile Note that my recently aquired (at a GREAT price, and have written about it here) Pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H is NOT for sale despite the opportunity to clear a cool $1k on the deal if I did. Voting with my wallet, and actions, so to speak.

No need to explain yourself Mark..I recently sold a rem 788 because it wasnt my cup of tea either. Give me the CRF rifle any day of the week over the other as well. I've had too many problems with the pushfeed types to recommend a damn one....I dont care how pretty it is, if it can't be depended on it isn't going hunting.....Save that type for the guys that think they need to take 3 rifles on a hunt.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go pick up the Sept. issue of Shooting Times and see what it says.

They did an 18 gun shoot out. Actually, they chose 6 different models and got 3 of each model to test, so as to have a broad sampling of each.

In the reliability test, the worst performer was The CZ 550. A CRF DESIGN AND A RIFLE FREQUENTLY USED TO HUNT DANGEROUS GAME.

Push feeds are very reliable. Saying they're not is a little crazy.

I like both types and am completely satisfied that you are much more likely to cause a jam thru improper operation, regardless of action type.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

They did an 18 gun shoot out. Actually, they chose 6 different models and got 3 of each model to test, so as to have a broad sampling of each.

In the reliability test, the worst performer was The CZ 550. A CRF DESIGN AND A RIFLE FREQUENTLY USED TO HUNT DANGEROUS GAME.

I like both types and am completely satisfied that you are much more likely to cause a jam thru improper operation, regardless of action type.

Their overall pick was the Winchester model 70. That just happens to be my pick too.

"I personally prefer the Winchester" Theodore Roosevelt

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

C'mon now, why do you have to bring my favorite rifle into this? I love my 550.

Either of the rifles you named would make a fine deer rifle. Compare them side by side and buy the one that YOU like better.

Personally I'd go with the Winchester, but I don't think you could go too wrong either way.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not to turn this into a CRF vs PF debate. Personally I'm of the opinion that it matters little for most people. I slightly prefer CRF, but I'd rather have a PF that works than a CRF that does not work correctly. If the CZ in this test perfomed poorly it was because that individual rifle performed poorly, not the CRF system.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Welcome to the fire! Get the Winchester, 'cause Winchester guys will make little dolls out of grass and poop and stick pins in you if you don't. smile

lolol
time for some body to break out a rusty pic of a browning trigger assembly that was abused to point where it looks like it sank on the good ruben james and recovered fifty years later and bash browning some more

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm a CRF guy. Something about having positive loading, chambering, extraction and ejection. The older Winnys were smooth actions... not sure about the newer FN models.

I do think the X-Bolts feel really nice in the hand, but for cheaper a Tikka will probably out shoot either one.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.