-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Finally with a few of the fire and firearm restrictions lifting, it's time to check out GMU #15 .

Taking a few kids/first time hunters this year, with a blank page on where to start scouting?

Going to be a truck camp, needing a lot of space for horses and a GP-Med (mil-spec 16'X 32' wall tent) , and daily ride in. All are accomplished riders.

I know that firewood will take care of it's self with the beatle-kill in that part of the State. This first trip will concentrate on the camp location.

Water, access into the Sarvis wilderness/huntable areas for first timers.

From the hip, studying the topos and zooming in with Google Earth. It looks like coming down into the area from Rabbit-Ears is the place to start?

Any information on a place to start would be fantastic!

This trip will just be myself, nailing down a camp site is the main goal.

Next trip will be soon after, before the kids have to start school. A look into the area hiking afoot and preparing the camp site.

Thanks!

Kevin

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
GB1

N
N
Without looking at a map, the E side of the Wilderness would be a good start.

What season are you hunting?

PM me if you want a few points of reference

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Second Rifle.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that.

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been in there twice. One time was the 3rd season and the elk had moved down already due to early snow that had also crusted over. Last year two in our hunting party had their tags in 15 and hunted coming in from Rabbit ears. They didn't see any elk but there were plenty of moose.

If you come in from the North and truck camp the area I walked into in Sarvis looked better the closer I got to the West end of Green Creek, (I think that is the name). I will look at my maps at noon hour and get back to you with the roads.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks RDD !

Yes, I see it on my maps.

A coin toss from looking at the map if forest service road #329.1 will be gated? Or not?

As it looks like the west end, before #329.1 heads north, looks flat with water!

Thanks!

IC B2

R
rdd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I looked the road up and on Colorado's web they call it 451 which is just South side of the Hwy from the Dumont Lake turn. Follow that 451 as far as you can and it will put you very close to the head waters of Green creek. I think there is a stock trail just up on the ridge from where the road ends. Good luck!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
K

Getting to the end of 451 if there is any snow will be tough pulling a horse
trailer was all I could do to get out of there in 2nd season a couple of years
Ago without my horse trailer. I also agree that Green creek is the place to start
Looking. I ended up going down FS-100 / CO-19 about nine miles from
Rabbit Ears, there are places along the road, Logging landings. I camped at one
on the east side of the road where a creek crosses, had a nice campsite
With water for the horses. There is a gated road that goes almost to 451 and
Buffalo Park trail just south of where I camped. once you get off FS-100 you get away from most of the
Hunters.

Craig

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you!

Mid week I did sneak away for a few days and compared the maps , Google earth to field checking the area.

And found a campsite!

Also got a slight fix on how this unit gets hunted, or a start. Not sure I would have stumbled onto Green Creek, but can see how it will have potential.

Somehow the excitement of this hunt is building more then years past.

Maybe the loss of my dad and bringing two pairs of father son first time hunters seems to be giving something back?

Talking to the 14 year old today, he volunteered ideas for jobs he knew he could do around camp!
Suggested how he was a morning person and a fair cook!
All the adults in the room froze for a moment!
I had a moment thinking how this country will make it as long as there are kids like that!

He also assured me that if we have something hanging in camp, that he can cook us up some elk stake. He is going to go far with this elk hunting thing!

This will be a fantastic hunt!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Good on you for taking new hunters and getting your son envolved also. I took
A father and son Deer hunting in 46 last year and it was very rewarding. The 16 yr had opportunity on four bucks the biggest a nice 4 point. He just couldn't
Settle down enough, but that was ok. If you get snowed out at Rabbit ears or
Buffalo Park drop down to Gore Pass and hunt the south side of Hwy-131 West of Blacktail campground it's still unit 15, there are some gated roads that you can ride the horses in on and get away from the crowds. We've seen some nice bulls in there. Buddy missed a nice 5pt 2 years ago.

Craig

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,119
Posts18,502,341
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.