Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I just wonder about the levels of "power" that handgunners say they need these days. I talked to a guy at a gun shop the other day and he wasn't interested in a Colt SAA because he had black bear on his property. Now I live not more than 10 miles from this guy, so chances are the bear that are on his property are the bear that are on my property. And I'm here to tell you that if any of them hit 300lbs I'd be shocked.

But he wants a Ruger in .45 colt so he can push up the load. It took me 15 minutes of convincing that the current Vaquero's aren't much stronger than a Colt or Uberti; he still had skepticism in his eyes.

Now when I had my last Uberti, I worked up a load using a 275 grain Keith style bullet and a generous dose of either 2400 or 4227 (now that I need it, I can't remember which - that's gettin old for you). The end result was nearly 900fps out of a 4 5/8" barrel, and I'm here to tell you that's some POWER.

I used that load to L E V E L a pissed off 1,600 bull that was about to kill a neighbor. A shot through the side of the head and he dropped like he was hit by the hammer of thor. The bullet was never recovered and you could park a bus sideways in the wound.

Guys, that's a STANDARD pressure .45 Colt load. Yep, its on the the knife edge of SAAMI pressure limits, but according to the manual I pulled it from, it's within STD pressure limits.

Once a bullet hits about 800fps, (speaking of solids here) the only real advantage of velocity after that is a flatter trajectory for distance shooting. I say this with a mind toward the norm, not extremes. Of course you can get more performance out of an LBT style bullet at higher velocity, but that's a whole different arguement.

My point is, the standard pressure .45 Colt is a very powerful handgun. Inside of 50 yards, given proper projectile choice, it's a magnificent tool.

I carry a .44 Special or 10mm in bear country. I've never felt too concerned.

Then again, I've never shot a man eating bear either.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dla

Yep, if you want to make 1/2" holes in most things then the 45lc works. No matter what the dreamers say, LBT WFN or otherwise, you get a 1/2" diameter hole with a 45cal hardcast. But you can get a bigger hole if you go to a 300gr XTP and run it faster - and that is why those other cartridges exist.

I'm not knocking a 1/2" diameter hole - we're pretty happy if our 30cal fodder expands 1.5 diameters, and lots of critters are taken with 30cal cartridges.

Good post!

I used to be a devout disciple of the Church of the LBT Hard Cast Bullet. I've backslid some since then, though! grin

As I've read more of the literature out there by people with lots of knowledge about cast bullets I've come to see Veral Smith's view as a bit more narrow than I like. Sure, I still cast, load and hunt with LBT and LBT-style bullets, but I also use SWC bullets, and I'm starting to get some experience with cast HP bullets. For one thing, I don't use "hard cast" bullets much at all any more. I haven't hunted with bullets harder than BHN 14 or so for years, and most of my hunting bullets are closer to a BHN of 10-11.

I used to hunt with XTP bullets, but I've found that the velocity range over which most XTP bullets will expand reliably is too narrow for my liking. And XTP hollowpoints cost a lot more than my own cast hollowpoint bullets. I can get reliable expansion and penetration and very credible lethality with a 45 caliber cast HP driven at 900-1050 fps muzzle velocity, but I need to drive an XTP 200-300 fps faster to get it to do the same job.

More velocity, more recoil, more expense... who needs that? So I'll just keep moseyin' on down the cast bullet trail and see where it leads me.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Now when I had my last Uberti, I worked up a load using a 275 grain Keith style bullet and a generous dose of either 2400 or 4227 (now that I need it, I can't remember which - that's gettin old for you). The end result was nearly 900fps out of a 4 5/8" barrel, and I'm here to tell you that's some POWER.

900 fps for the .45 Colt is more or less (well, a tad more) than book value for those handguns LIKE the Colt etc.. I can't speak for the Vaquero as to what it can handle, but the Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt can be loaded much, much higher and there's publications showing 1500 fps using 250 gr. bullets.

If you're goin' after deer or similar - rather thin-skinned game I'm sure the lower power ratings will do nicely. However, IF the game actually is a rather large bear, I'd prefer the stronger load - if for no other reason than to be more apt to penetrate further, expand reliably and/or take care of heavy bone structure..

For Cowboy action shooting - them 850 fps loads or so is downright comfy.. Still, it's a helluva lotta fun to shoot the heavier loads out of a proper handgun.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I finally found out what LBT stands for, Lead Bullet Technology and you can only get them from one company or so they say.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW: I agree with the 900 to 1,000 feet per second for hand gun hunting for the true hand gun hunter which to me means about 50 yards or so. If I's hunting over 100 years I'm using a rifle.

Just my opinion and everybody's mileage may and probably does vary.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
well Derby...after 100 years the eyesight starts to go so...rifle's probably better.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our good freind here JJ Hack, who has shot something on the order of 900 bears as he was the bear control officer for a large timber company for many years and was ahunting guide in Alaska during times when he was not PH'ing in South Africa and Zimbabwe says that in his experience a plain old vanilla 240gr HP in a 44 MAgnum is much more effective on even big black bears.

Back to Kevins original post, I am with you 100% Kevin. My bear country load for my old 329PD's was 255gr SWC's at an even 1,000 fps. I also never felt undergunned and had a bear shown himself at 25 yards during bear seasone while I had that gun on me I was anxious to try it out. I have no doubts as to the outcome of such an encounter i.e. bad day to be a bear. These days I am quite comfortable with my 10mm in all scenarious, although my handloads are close to the original Norma level loads. I am hoping to have the opportunity to try THAT one on a bear, too.

Truth be told, very few of us can shoot well with the really heavy 45LC loadings. I for one cannot and do not have the time or diesire to get good with them. Not fun in my mind. 416 Rigby 300 RUM or 340 Tyrannosaur rifle? You bet! Mega handguns, no thank you.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
well Derby...after 100 years the eyesight starts to go so...rifle's probably better.

Tell Moses about the mountain!

Back in the day the .44 mag WAS the power house and there wasn't a whole lot hand gun scopes around and fifty yard hunting was the norm. Heck, I remember where I came from, hand gunners using S&W target revolvers in .38 Special for white tail deer and black bear and they never thought they were under gun. I remember when the .38 Super was the most power round you could have in a 1911.

With that background if I can't kill it with a .44 mag using normal loads screw it I'm getting a rifle and if that doesn't cut it I'm getting an RPG. Screw those ass kicking revolvers! You young pups can keep them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I finally found out what LBT stands for, Lead Bullet Technology and you can only get them from one company or so they say.

I like to call them "BFN's" for Big Flat Nose grin And lots of people make BFN's smile

I've shot some of the Buffalo Bore .454's - 300gr - out of a SRH, over my chrono. They ran 1620 fps and smacked the hell out of your hand. I was definitely looking for a glove after one cylinder, even in that fairly heavy revolver. Dick Casull's original loads were of similar power, and despite their beautiful workmanship, lots of folks were soon looking to trade off their M83's.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 08/13/12. Reason: 2nd para

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A buddy of mine casts a 230gr LBT hard cast bullet with a big flat meplat. We load it to 1050fps for our 45acp hog load. It has a pretty stiff recoil, about like the Buffalo Boar load. I've taken several big feral hogs, and had to put down a sick cow with it. I wouldn't be afraid to take any Black Bear with it. It will penatrate at least 20" on a feral hog going 350 lbs or more. We also load the 230 gr Speer Gold Dot Bullets to the same velocity. They expand better than the Hornady 230gr XTP's and Penatrate about 18" on a big hog.

Both loads are extremely accurate in my 1911's & my new Ruger Flattop .45colt. / 45acp Convertable. Also a 300gr LBT WFN at 1150 FPS shoots great in my 45lc USPF built by Doug Turnbull & my Ruger Flattop.

I still have a 325gr LBT WLN hard cast bullet I load to 1350fps, but I use it Only in my 4" Ruger Redhawk or my Bowen Custom Bisley Blackhawk in 45 colt. It has the unfluted cylinder. I Would NOT use this load in my Flatop, Vaqueros, or any SAA!!!

That being said, the older I get, the more I prefer the 230 to 250 grain bullets going about 1000fps in my 45 LC single action revolvers. Much more pleasant to shoot, & will kill just about any critter I might encounter.
I also still pack my Glock 20-10mm with 15 rounds of 200gr Hornady XTP's going 1350 fps while bow hunting in Colorado & New Mexico. And I've never felt under gunned while in Black Bear country.... If I was in Alaska, I'd break out the old Redhawk & the heavy loads

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dla
I just wonder about the levels of "power" that handgunners say they need these days. I talked to a guy at a gun shop the other day and he wasn't interested in a Colt SAA because he had black bear on his property. Now I live not more than 10 miles from this guy, so chances are the bear that are on his property are the bear that are on my property. And I'm here to tell you that if any of them hit 300lbs I'd be shocked.

But he wants a Ruger in .45 colt so he can push up the load. It took me 15 minutes of convincing that the current Vaquero's aren't much stronger than a Colt or Uberti; he still had skepticism in his eyes.

I used that load to L E V E L a pissed off 1,600 bull that was about to kill a neighbor. A shot through the side of the head and he dropped like he was hit by the hammer of thor. The bullet was never recovered and you could park a bus sideways in the wound.

Guys, that's a STANDARD pressure .45 Colt load. Yep, its on the the knife edge of SAAMI pressure limits, but according to the manual I pulled it from, it's within STD pressure limits.

Once a bullet hits about 800fps, (speaking of solids here) the only real advantage of velocity after that is a flatter trajectory for distance shooting. I say this with a mind toward the norm, not extremes. Of course you can get more performance out of an LBT style bullet at higher velocity, but that's a whole different arguement.

My point is, the standard pressure .45 Colt is a very powerful handgun. Inside of 50 yards, given proper projectile choice, it's a magnificent tool.

Yep, if you want to make 1/2" holes in most things then the 45lc works. No matter what the dreamers say, LBT WFN or otherwise, you get a 1/2" diameter hole with a 45cal hardcast. But you can get a bigger hole if you go to a 300gr XTP and run it faster - and that is why those other cartridges exist.

I'm not knocking a 1/2" diameter hole - we're pretty happy if our 30cal fodder expands 1.5 diameters, and lots of critters are taken with 30cal cartridges.

Bullet shape and impact velocity does effect the dia of the wound, and a flatfaced hardcast bullet will create a larger dia wound than a rn bullet. The wound dia from a 45 cal truncated cone wadcutter i.e. wfn or lfn is going to be 1" and change, not 1/2"

But back to the op, I agree that as I age I enjoy shooting milder recoil rounds more than heavier recoiling rounds. The only issue I have at the moment is I don't currently have a mild recoiling revolver that shoots as accurately as my 480 srh, but I plan to rectify that with a K38.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Doubt! A hard cast bullet with a big wide meplat Definately will creat a bigger entrance / exit wound, AND a big wound channel.

I've poked lots of 1" holes in feral hogs with a LBT cast bullet. Round nose bullets are a poor choice for any hunting handgun or, for that matter, any defense handgun. To me, round nosed or ball ammo is just for plinking.

It really sucks that NATO has limited our soldiers to a sissy ass 9mm with hardball ammo. We ought to give them a Glock in 357sig with HP bullets.
Or give them back a good ole 1911's with HP bullets. I would bet my last dollar that some of our Seals, Rangers, & Spec-op soldiers are carrying HP ammo.....

SCREW NATO rules of caliber / bullet type for combat use!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by dla

Good post!

I used to be a devout disciple of the Church of the LBT Hard Cast Bullet. I've backslid some since then, though! grin

As I've read more of the literature out there by people with lots of knowledge about cast bullets I've come to see Veral Smith's view as a bit more narrow than I like. Sure, I still cast, load and hunt with LBT and LBT-style bullets, but I also use SWC bullets, and I'm starting to get some experience with cast HP bullets. For one thing, I don't use "hard cast" bullets much at all any more. I haven't hunted with bullets harder than BHN 14 or so for years, and most of my hunting bullets are closer to a BHN of 10-11.

I used to hunt with XTP bullets, but I've found that the velocity range over which most XTP bullets will expand reliably is too narrow for my liking. And XTP hollowpoints cost a lot more than my own cast hollowpoint bullets. I can get reliable expansion and penetration and very credible lethality with a 45 caliber cast HP driven at 900-1050 fps muzzle velocity, but I need to drive an XTP 200-300 fps faster to get it to do the same job.

More velocity, more recoil, more expense... who needs that? So I'll just keep moseyin' on down the cast bullet trail and see where it leads me.

I have taken a lot of game with LBT bullets since 1986 and I can assure you that one gets more than a 1/2" diameter wound in 45 caliber. Animals don't go anywhere but dowen if hit properly has been my experience. I don't hesitate to use them in my self defense weapons as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What I carry on a walk in the wilds varies from a Glock 17 loaded with 147s, to a Marlin 45-70 loaded with 405s. In between are 40/180, 44/240, 44/310, or 45/230.

Bottom line.....just have a gun.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
BS. 1/2" is all you get. You've never measured the actual hole - you glance at it and think "that's a big mess!", but it is still just a 1/2" hole.

If you shoot a chuck roast, you'll get a 1/2" hole. You shoot something living and you think the hole is bigger because of the peripheral bleeding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A chuck roast is already dead. Critters die by bleeding, and that peripheral bleeding is very important to getting a crtter to bleed out quickly. A 1" dia wound has 4 times the area of a 1/2" dia wound.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I feel I need more 'power' than I have with a .45 Colt 250 grain hard cast LSWC at 900fps, then I'll reach for a rifle.

Sam......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dla
BS. 1/2" is all you get. You've never measured the actual hole - you glance at it and think "that's a big mess!", but it is still just a 1/2" hole.

If you shoot a chuck roast, you'll get a 1/2" hole. You shoot something living and you think the hole is bigger because of the peripheral bleeding.

This is from a 45 caliber hard cast flat point

[Linked Image]

Have you only taken the "chuck roast"? Perhaps some actual game would enlighten you

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dla

Sorry, dude, you're so freakin' wrong it's... I won't say it. You're wrong.

I've got pix of exit wounds from a pair of deer shot with 300 gr WFN bullets out of a 45 Colt at ~1250 fps impact velocity that exited the deer's chest leaving a 3" exit hole. Can't post the pix because my hard drive crashed a month ago and I lost all my digital jpg files. I'll have to re-scan the paper photos.

JWP's picture, above, looks much like the gutpiles I pulled out of those deer. Those bullets were cast from soft alloy, BHN about 11, not what most people consider "hard cast" nowadays, but still.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dla

Have you actually tested your theory on live animals? I get the feeling you haven't actually used LBT-anything on game.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,563
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.