Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
FS: used books on Western/US history, "outdoor adventures," Africa and Alaska, Civil War, and collecting topics. Prices include shipping to the lower 48 only. An "I'll take book(s)#___" reserves the book; then I'll PM you my address for payment and pack 'em up.

I take cash, MOs of any kind, and personal checks but NOT PayPal. (Please pay in a timely fashion because I'm going to be in MX from 9/17 to 10/1 and need to have books shipped by the time I leave. I ship the next shipping day after I get paid.)

PM me any questions or comments: I'll answer ASAP. But don't put comments or questions on this thread because they "bump" the ad and that is in violation of board rules.

PLEASE TAKE $1 OFF EACH BOOK AFTER THE FIRST ONE YOU ORDER.

Western/US History titles

1) SPF "Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery--the US Exploring Expedition of 1838-42" by Nathaniel Philbrick. History of the maritime expedition that was an extension of the original Lewis and Clark expedition that charted the South Seas, Antarctica, and the coasts and rivers of the Oregon Territory, making the US a "2-ocean power." HB exc. cond. w/small cover stain and no DJ 476 pp. Illus w/original b/w repros of historic illustrations and original line drawings. $7

2) SPF "Undaunted Courage" Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose. Prize-winning account of the epic "Voyage of Discovery"--wonderful reading. Illus w/maps and b/w repros of the contemporary paintings, including Lewis' own. PB exc. cond 521 pp. $6.

3) SPF "History of the Donner Party: A Tragedy of the Sierra" by C.F. McGlashan. First professional history of the disaster, written in 1880. Quality paperback (Stanford U. Press) 300 pp. w/b/w repros of contemp. magazine illustrations. $6

4) SPF "The Overland Memoir of Charles Frederick True, a Teenager on the California Trail, 1859" by C.A. True. Memoir of a Western immigration from MN to CA. Deserts, buffalo, Indians. But no shooting! PB exc. cond. 112 pp. illus w/maps and woodcuts. $4

5) "Costume Manual: A Guide to the Clothing Worn in CA and the Far West in 1845" by David W. Rickman. CA State Historian's manual for re-enactors, a complete guide to natives, Californios, Bear Flaggers, USN of the period, and the California Volunteer Brigade. Includes accessories, footgear, and weapons. 8 1/2x11" reproducible pages in binder, 214 pp. in exc. cond. w/b/w and full-color hand illustrations of figures. $7

6) SPF "Frontier Women" by Linda Peavy and Ursula Smith. An illustrated survey of the lives of frontier women from Native Americans to urban ladies. Very fully illustrated with period b/w photos. HB 95 pp. new cond. $4

7) SPF "Far From Home: Families of the Western Journey" by Schlissel, Gibbens, and Hampstein. Histories of three families that "went West:" one to the Oregon Territory, one to the mines of CO and NM, one to ND. Detailed studies by their descendents, introduced by social historian Robert Coles. HB new cond. 272 pp. illus w/b/w photos. $7

8) "The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons" by Major J.W. Powell. Powell's classic and comprehensive documentation of his 1869-70 voyage of discovery. 250 detailed line drawings and b/w photos--95 days of peril amongst the canyons and the hostiles. With one arm! PB 384 pp. in exc. cond. $6

9) "Flames Across the Border: The Canadian-American Tragedy, 1813-14" by Pierre Berton. The War of 1812 from a distinctly CANADIAN point of view; how it shaped present Canada. HB 492 pp. in exc. shape but with "library discard" stamps and stickers. $6

10) "The Founding Fish" by John McPhee. One of America's best nonfiction authors is a fishing nut. A shad-fishing nut. Here he explores shad and the shad fishery's history in typical McPhee detail and passion. Turns out the fish played a big part.... HB new cond. illus. w/b/w repros and photos. $6

11) SPF "Theodore Roosevelt: A Life" by Nathan Miller. Latest one-volume biography of the extraordinary man, including the latest research and sources. Very readable, HB 624 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w photos. $8

12) "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris. Best-selling history of TR's presidency by a Pulitzer-winning historian. TR's social policies, his conservation campaigns, and his foreign triumphs leading to the Panama Canal and his Nobel Prize. Exc. cond PB 783 pp. w/b/w photos and maps. $6

13) "A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906" by Simon Winchester. The whole story of the 1906 quake: what--geologically and historically-- went into it, and what came out of it. By the author of "Krakatoa." HB new cond. 488 pp. Fully illus. w/many maps and period B/w photos. $7

14) SPF "The Worst Hard Time" by Timothy Egan. Pulitzer winner's story of the Dust Bowl and those who survived it: causes, effects, and aftermath. Told from the points of view of those who lived thru it. Quality PB 348 pp. exc. cond illus w/b/w photos and maps. $6

15) "Letters from Baja, 1910-17" by Ysabel Peabody Freeman. Collection of letters by Freeman's ancestors on their explorations into early 20th century Baja California in search of gold, hunting and fishing, and oil in the period of the Mexican Revolution. 8 1/2x11" HB 225 pp. new cond illus. w/historic b/w photos and maps. $6

16). "Prohibition: the Era of Excess" by Andrew Sinclair. Comprehensive history of the causes, reality, and repeal of the Volstead Act. Collectors' leatherbound edition by The Easton Press HB new cond. 492 pp. illus w/period cartoons and b/w photos. $8

17) "Secret Service: the Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency" by Philip Melanson and Peter Stevens. Complete history of the Secret Service from its anti-counterfeiting origin in 1865 to its secretive multi-roles today. HB new cond 375 pp. $6

18) "The Enders Hotel: A Memoir" by Brandon Schrand. Growing up in an old hotel built in 1917 in Soda Springs, ID. A 1970s childhood in Idaho with some tough times and hard folks. PB 236 pp. new/exc. cond (U. Nebraska Bison Press) $5

"Outdoor Adventure" titles

19) SPF "Disaster at Sea" ed. Edward Rowe Snowe. Three volumes in one of true marine, inland lake, and river disasters, pirates, treasures and shipwrecks. Tons of exciting reading! HB new cond. 672 pp. $6

20) SPF "The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey" by Linda Fairstein. Ever wonder how commercial fishermen make a living? Fairstein, a "bit player" in "The Perfect Storm," lays it all out (keep your day job). HB 278 pp. new cond. w/no dust jacket. $6

21) "Foreign Devils on the Silk Road" by Peter Hopkirk. The search for lost cities and treasures of Chinese Central Asia in the early 20th century by Europeans. Bandits, wolves, deserts, and "unhappy natives." PB exc. cond. 262 pp. illus. w/maps, b/w photos. $5

22) SPF "A Tour Guide to the Old West" by Alice Cromie. Classic guide to the historical sites of 19 Western states: where to see cowboys, Indians, landmarks, settlement/ghost towns, battlegrounds and forts. PB 297pp. illus. w/maps and B/w photos. $4

23) SPF "Back Roads of California: Selected Trips Off the Beaten Track" by Earl T. Hollander. Classic travel book FULL of pen-and-ink drawings of "the sights:" plants, buildings, landscapes. The drawings alone are worth having. 8 1/2x11" PB in exc. cond. $6

24) SPF "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz. A 24-year old Polish cavalry officer escapes from a Soviet gulag in Siberia in WWII and walks with his companions to safety--in British India. And then joins the RAF. A classic of survival. PB exc. cond 260 pp. $6

25) "To the Elephant Graveyard" by Tarquin Hall. The war to preserve India's Assam, a region trying to secede from federal India, and its wild elephants. Jungle life, battles with poachers and guerrillas. An ongoing battle. PB new/exc. cond. illus. w/maps and b/w photos. $5

Books on Africa

26) 'Rainbow's End" by Lauren St. John. A sports journalist's memoir of her childhood on a farm in Rhodesia during their civil war. Peace, war, family, nature, and loss. HB 271 pp. in exc. cond illus w/maps and b/w photos $6

27) SPF "West With the Night" by Beryl Markham. Markham was a pioneer raised in East Africa in the first two decades of the 20th Century. This is her memoir of growing up, flying the mail, and bush flying all over the region. A friend of Hemingway, she was the first person to solo across the Atlantic from East to West. Quality PB exc. cond 220 pp. illus w/b/w photos and map. $5

28) "The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals" by Richard Estes. The details of behaviour, natural history, and range of over 80 of the most common game and nongame African mammals by a famous animal behaviorist. Not a book about hunting, but very useful to hunters and to enjoy the non-hunting moments of a safari. PB 472 pp. in exc. cond w/some underlines and margin notes, illus w/maps and detailed b/w drawings. $6

29) "Adventuring in East Africal: the Sierra Club Guide to the Great Safaris of Kenya, Tanzania, Eastern Zaire, Rwanda, and Uganda" by Allen Beckby. Not a hunting book, but good basic information on how non-hunting safaris work and what kinds are available, African nature, and basic travel issues. (BUT check out what the political situation is NOW in these countries before you start making plans....) PB 458 pp. in exc. cond w/few underlines, illus. w/maps and b/w photos. $5

Books on Alaska

30) "Looking for Alaska" by Peter Jenkins. Author of "A Walk Across America"--but older, married/w six kids, Jenkins "covers" Alaska in 18 months of snowshoes, bush planes, and snow machines, and meets a lot of real Alaskans. PB 435 exc. cond. w/maps and b/w photos. $6

31) "The Quiet World: Saving Alaska's Wilderness Kingdoms, 1879-1960" by Douglas Brinkley. History of the conservation of Alaska from John Muir and TR to Eisenhower by one of TR's biographers. Very detailed, illus w/historic b/w photos and color photos of Alaskan wildlife. HB 586 pp. in exc/new cond. $7

32) "Icebound Summer" by Sally Carrigher. A naturalist's chapters on her summer beside the Arctic Ocean. Many tales of wildlife and natives, illustrated by charming pen-and-ink drawings and map. Quality PB (U. Nebraska Bison Press)new cond. 262 pp. $4

Civil War Books

33) "April 1865: The Month that Saved America" by Jay Winick. Basis of the History Channel's program of the same name, this shows the various forces that were about to tear the nation apart at the end of the Civil War and how they were resolved. PB 476 pp. in exc cond illus w/b/w repros of contemporary illustrations. $5

34) SPF "The Civil War Reader" ed. by Richard Harwell. A huge selection of dispatches, memoirs, newspaper articles, and letters which give the flavor and facts of the war experience. Arranged by year, 1861-65. HB 311 pp. in exc/new cond. $8

35) "Grant: A Biography" by William S. McFeeley. Complete biography of Grant by history professor and expert on Reconstruction period. Hb 605 pp. in exc/new cond. illus w/b/w photos. Focus on Grant's complex personality. $7

36) "Grant Moves South, 1861-1863" by Bruce Catton. Pulitzer-winning military biography of Grant in the first half of the war. PB 575 pp. new/exc. cond. $6

37) SPF "The Civil War" by Bruce Catton. Famous CW historian's condensed history of the War; a quick read very fully illus. w/over 200 b/w photos, maps and drawings. Hb exc. cond. 350 pp. $6

38)SPF "History of the Civil War" by Shelby Foote. A 3-volume complete history of the War by celebrated historian and adviser to PBS series "The Civil War." A huge resource totaling 3062 pp. in 3 PB volumes, well-used but very readable. Many maps.

39) SPF "From Manassas to Appomattox" by Gen. James Longstreet, CSA. A Civil War history from the point of view of one of the most important Confederate generals and one of Lee's most reliable soldiers. HB new cond. 712 pp. w/16 maps, b/w and color repros. Reproduction of original book by Blue and Gray Press. $8

40) "Secret Missions of the Civil War" by Philip Van Doren Stern. Yank and Rebel spies, blockader runners, commerce raiders, assassins, saboteurs, subs and "torpedoes"! "Mainly drawn from contemporary newspaper and magazine accounts. HB exc. cond but torn dust jacket 320 pp. $5

Books for Collectors

41) SPF "Indian and Eskimo Artifacts of North America" by Charles Miles. Complete and fully illustrated review of native artifacts arranged by the use of the object: ritual, food gathering and storage, tools, weapons, clothing, child rearing, etc. 8 1/2x11" HB in exc. reading cond w/some cover and edge stains, but not on text/photos. Hundreds of b/w and color photos of artifacts $6

42) "The Book of Old Silver" by Seymour B. Wyles. A history and guide to old silver and Sheffield silver plate. Covers/lists thousands of hallmarks of silver makers and has over 100 photos of finished silver pieces. Covers American, British and European makers. HB 8 1/2x11" 455 pp. in exc. cond w/worn dust jacket. $6

43) "Fell's Collectors Guide to American Antique Firearms" by Martin Rywell. Classic gun-collecting introduction (1963). HB 220 discarded library book w/stamps on inside cover otherwise exc. cond illus w/b/w photos. $4

44) "Antique Guns and Gun Collecting" by Frederick Wilson. Another old introduction to the types and history of antique guns, mainly ML, and percussion revolvers. 8 1/2x11" in exc. cond w/worn dust jacket 97 pp. illus w/32 color plates and 64 b/w photos and drawings. $5

Thanks for reading my very long ad! Don't forget to knock $1 off the price of any books you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 08/16/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send me the Shelby Foote series please Mike.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Book #38 SPF to nsqam. Thanks for buying! PM en route.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

Last edited by Mesa; 08/16/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll take books #s 24, 27, and 39.
Thanks, Steve.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
ill take these

2) "Undaunted Courage" Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West" by Stephen Ambrose. Prize-winning account of the epic "Voyage of Discovery"--wonderful reading. Illus w/maps and b/w repros of the contemporary paintings, including Lewis' own. PB exc. cond 521 pp. $6.

3) "History of the Donner Party: A Tragedy of the Sierra" by C.F. McGlashan. First professional history of the disaster, written in 1880. Quality paperback (Stanford U. Press) 300 pp. w/b/w repros of contemp. magazine illustrations. $6

4) "The Overland Memoir of Charles Frederick True, a Teenager on the California Trail, 1859" by C.A. True. Memoir of a Western immigration from MN to CA. Deserts, buffalo, Indians. But no shooting! PB exc. cond. 112 pp. illus w/maps and woodcuts. $4

Allen

add

23) "Back Roads of California: Selected Trips Off the Beaten Track" by Earl T. Hollander. Classic travel book FULL of pen-and-ink drawings of "the sights:" plants, buildings, landscapes. The drawings alone are worth having. 8 1/2x11" PB in exc. cond. $6

and
22) "A Tour Guide to the Old West" by Alice Cromie. Classic guide to the historical sites of 19 Western states: where to see cowboys, Indians, landmarks, settlement/ghost towns, battlegrounds and forts. PB 297pp. illus. w/maps and B/w photos. $4

and

11) "Theodore Roosevelt: A Life" by Nathan Miller. Latest one-volume biography of the extraordinary man, including the latest research and sources. Very readable, HB 624 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w photos. $8

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll take #'s 6,7,14,34, and 37.

"Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs".
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
"I'll Take"

19) "Disaster at Sea" ed. Edward Rowe Snowe. Three volumes in one of true marine, inland lake, and river disasters, pirates, treasures and shipwrecks. Tons of exciting reading! HB new cond. 672 pp. $6

20) "The Hungry Ocean: A Swordboat Captain's Journey" by Linda Fairstein. Ever wonder how commercial fishermen make a living? Fairstein, a "bit player" in "The Perfect Storm," lays it all out (keep your day job). HB 278 pp. new cond. w/no dust jacket. $6

Pls. PM me with where to send the check smile

Thanks!

Zeik smile

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books 24, 27, and 39 SPF to planewinch

Books 2,3,4,11,22,and 23 SPF to hemiallen

Books 6,7,14, 34, and 37 SPf to RandySavage99

Books 19 and 20 SPF to Old Fat Guy (ain't we all....).

Many thanks for buying, guys! PMs on the way to all of you.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mesa - I'll Take 'em please.

1) "Sea of Glory: America's Voyage of Discovery--the US Exploring Expedition of 1838-42" by Nathaniel Philbrick. History of the maritime expedition that was an extension of the original Lewis and Clark expedition that charted the South Seas, Antarctica, and the coasts and rivers of the Oregon Territory, making the US a "2-ocean power." HB exc. cond. w/small cover stain and no DJ 476 pp. Illus w/original b/w repros of historic illustrations and original line drawings. $7

41) "Indian and Eskimo Artifacts of North America" by Charles Miles. Complete and fully illustrated review of native artifacts arranged by the use of the object: ritual, food gathering and storage, tools, weapons, clothing, child rearing, etc. 8 1/2x11" HB in exc. reading cond w/some cover and edge stains, but not on text/photos. Hundreds of b/w and color photos of artifacts $6

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books 1 and 41 SPF to oregontripper. Thanks for buying! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Bumpo primero!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Second-to-last bump!

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll take 8, 17, and 40 if still available.

Last edited by JMB Fan; 08/19/12.

Thank our servicemen and women for their sacrifices.
Thank John M. Browning for his firearms inventions.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I'll take 28 if still available.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Books #8, 17, and 40 SPF to JMB Fan

Book #28 SPF to WoodsyAl

Thanks for buying, guys! PMs to you after supper.

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Final bump.

Many thanks to all of you who've already bought books!

Mike Armstrong aka Mesa

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,673
Posts18,513,195
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.