Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#6782504 08/16/12
W
OP Offline
W
Have any of you been able to get your hands on one of the new Savage 17 hornets yet? Curious what your all's thoughts are on the caliber.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am going to hold out until Ruger gets off the pot....

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've a G2 Contender I had MGM make up a barrel for.
Love the cartridge. Very modest on the noise and recoil while making feathery things go poof and woodchucks just seem to shut off.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My god father got to impatient waiting for the Ruger's to come out so he ordered 2 77/22 Hornets and he is having both of them rebarreled to 17 hornet for him and me. In the end, im sure he is spending WAY more money having them built than waiting but thats what being a rifle looney is all about right?

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
FVA,

Are you happy with that barrel? What was your wait?

Thanks,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
thats what being a rifle looney is all about right?

Dang straight grin

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Travis,
Yes I am.
I spec'd a .650 muzzle at 23" and bought a carbine forearm as I didn't care for the weight/balance of the G2 cylinder length barrels.

It is a Green mountain barrel. There is a Shilen upgrade available.
It wants to stack bullets if I do my part and haven't seen any fouling issues so far.
I've shot three shots across the chronograph and they averaged 3580 fps.
The wait was about three weeks just like they told me when I ordered.
Imagine that.
Frank

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's probably got to be one of the worst product launches of all time.

They've been advertising the ammo for the better part of a year. I haven't even gone looking for it, but I've scene ammo on the shelves since May.

And NO rifles available yet??

Apparently CZ will have one out shortly. I kick myself that I let a Ruger Hornet go down the road a year or so back. Have a CZ that I kept over the Ruger, but would have liked to rebarrel the Ruger.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FVA
Travis,
Yes I am.
I spec'd a .650 muzzle at 23" and bought a carbine forearm as I didn't care for the weight/balance of the G2 cylinder length barrels.

It is a Green mountain barrel. There is a Shilen upgrade available.
It wants to stack bullets if I do my part and haven't seen any fouling issues so far.
I've shot three shots across the chronograph and they averaged 3580 fps.
The wait was about three weeks just like they told me when I ordered.
Imagine that.
Frank

That's good to know Frank. Those are good speeds for that little case ain't they?

My poor TC just sits. I might do the same thing.

I doubt that thing will foul any worse than any other centerfire. Cool rig.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks
The short length of the Contender coupled with the moderate report and range of the 17 Hornet make for a good tractor rifle.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cal74

They've been advertising the ammo for the better part of a year. I haven't even gone looking for it, but I've scene ammo on the shelves since May.

Apparently CZ will have one out shortly. I kick myself that I let a Ruger Hornet go down the road a year or so back. Have a CZ that I kept over the Ruger, but would have liked to rebarrel the Ruger.

I don't know about THAT, anything Remington does seems to be planned to fail, especially their intro of the .17 Fireball, which is practically dead already, AND they aren't doing a run of brass for it, the .17 Remington, the .221 Fireball, or a few others, for quite awhile, and a lot of distributors are already OUT of brass for them.
Helluva note to intro a new cartridge/rifle combo, but not provide cases/ammo for them, ain't it?
At least Hornady has the ammo out there for purchase, something Remington failed miserably at.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, dies and brass are readily available although you can buy loaded ammo for just a bit more than brass if you look around a bit.
Even if rifles are slack in getting out I don't think it will hurt the 17 Hornet in the long run. It is that good of cartridge. It is here to stay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yeah ... they said the same thing about the HMR ..... wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It just doesn't impress me much. I think the .17 Fireball is a much better and more efficiant cartrige. Wish Rem. would have got off the pot!

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
More Efficient? How so?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Been shooting the 17 Ackley Hornet for years, which is basically the same cartridge, and it has to be the most fun cartridge I have ever shot. It is certainly an over achiever. Easy 250 yard woodchuck round that has a mild report and doesn't recoil at all. Watch the chuck just tip over and then maybe a twitch of the tail. Crows disintegrate. Great fox round, pinhole in and no exit. We have two and I will pick up a CZ when they come out.

Have a 17 fireball as well. Great round but it doesn't touch the 17AH in the fun category.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cal74

Yeah right.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BRoper
It just doesn't impress me much. I think the .17 Fireball is a much better and more efficiant cartrige. Wish Rem. would have got off the pot!

.17 Rem does the same thing and has been factory produced much longer.

Travis

W
OP Offline
W
It intrigued me as a round that might be good for thin skinned bobcats, but what good is it if you can�t find a gun that will shoot it? Savage has been advertising their guns, but I�ve had one on back order for a long time. It seems that it is common practice for manufactures to advertise their products long before they are actually able to deliver.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just relax a little, they'll be available soon enough. A feller over on www.saubier.com has already seen a couple in his local gunshop, so they're just slow filling the pipeline.

Like a couple other here, I'm waiting on the CZ. If CZ changes it's mind and doesn't make it, I have an old Hornet that is easily rebarrelled.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 163bc, 49 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,336
Posts18,506,116
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.