Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jayco: To a lot of older guys like yourself,who understand this stuff and have a whole lot of experience killing animals, this may seem sort of basic and rudimentary. smile

But personally I can tell by a lot of the questions and comments on here, by the younger guys, or even the guys without your level of experience,that there are a lot of questions and mysteries to them about what bullets do,why they kill,and how they do it.If there wasn't, you wouldn't have so many "This or That" threads. eek

I agree with your comments about the variables involved (I think I commented on them myself),but it sure doesn't hurt to have it illustrated to them in plain language and in terms that are easy for them to understand.As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.And I think it also helps illustrate that,just because an animal "died",does not mean it's the end of the conversation....because it might not happen exactly the same way the next time, if you pick the wrong bullet.

Yeah the Internet has changed things.....but this really is not much different than what we learned from guys like Hagel and others 3 decades ago,and confirmed by shooting animals ourselves.......just a different means of communication. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
With respect Bob...You are an Internet hero taking the young and old into your wings and trying to make it right,whatever it is.To that I tip my hat, but enough is enough repeating time after time something like the A-Max is an all around, in every circumstance,Elk bullet, know matter what graph you show or what gelatin it is shot into..

Hope you understand as I have to hit the road right now not looking over my post.I trust you take it as it is without looking down at anyone.Just off the tip of my tongue without thing to much about it.

Jayco

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
First the earth cooled....

Oh and for deer at standard velocities, just about any bullet will do...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Within reason, I think that today just about any bullets works pretty well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeezus.. Is killing critters this hard to some people?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great post. There is so much BS floating around about terminal ballistics it's good to see some scientific info with supporting evidence making it into a hunting forum.

Ballistic gel simulates what happens in tissue in a repeatable and measurable way. It has been compared to terminal performance in human and animal tissue for decades and found to be the best method available to predict what a projectile will do in an actual tissue impact. The absolute worst-case scenario is that gel provides a relative/comparative measurement of bullet performance. No don side to that.

RLTW
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greentimber

Ballistic gel simulates what happens in tissue in a repeatable and measurable way.

You're kidding, right?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Jeezus.. Is killing critters this hard to some people?

Its only hard if you make it so.

I could rock on with Ballistic tips for the rest of my career and not fret it. In fact I may.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by greentimber

Ballistic gel simulates what happens in tissue in a repeatable and measurable way.

You're kidding, right?

Nope. It's been correlated thousands of times over, primarily in human tissue, but also in animal research. Ballistic gel is the best stimulant we currently have and accurately predicts what a bullet will do in tissue.

RLTW
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Respectfully, you're smoking crack.

Gel will never duplicate mud, hair, hide, cartilage, bone, muscles and internal organs.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Since you had Partition in the title, and it's been used with success for decades. I would like to see your results for it?

Not that it would change my opinion of it. I never had one fail me, but i'm curious.

The title is just to get people to look. However I will try to get one up of a Partition, though it will look very similar to the Accubond.

Originally Posted by logcutter
There is absolutely know way you can predict what will happen once you pull the trigger in the field with any bullet not knowing exactly where it will hit and what it will have to deal with getting to the vitals.

Gelatin test or any test are poor examples of field conditions and what a bullet will do..Under "Perfect" circumstances even gelatin test are not game animals with hide/bones and ribs and different substances than gelatin.

Nick a rib on a broadside(perfect shot) with a volatile bullet like the A-Max and see what happens.Way different than your graphs.

Jayco

Gelatin, while not perfect, has proven to be THE best predictor of what a bullet will do in tissue. As far as bone and hide do you really think that hasn't been tested?

Your AMAX comment is also wrong. That picture shows almost perfectly what that bullet consistently does whether it hits shoulders or not. The only difference being that if it hits shoulder/leg bones both shoulders will typically be lost and the exit wound will be around 4-5 inches in diameter rather then the 2-3 inch if only hitting the soft tissue of the chest. I do not mean this as a measuring test or ego but instead simply as a data point, however it is likely that I have shot more deer with any single variation of 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and 30 cal AMAX then you have shot total. I have no questions as to what AMAX's do in deer. The 168gr from a 308 has no issue penetrating bone and reaching the vitals in deer type game.

Originally Posted by BobinNH

Also I think there is the issue that physiologically some animals are simply tougher than others,and I don't know how we measure that!

What is obvious is that bullets aren't the same in a general sense in terms of how they inflict wounds and penetrate,and what they "do" after they land.

You are of course correct on all your points. While in an ideal world we would have millions of animals that are the exact same size, age, health, and mental state to test bullets on. Unfortunately there is no way to be consistent from bullet to bullet and shot to shot on animals and therefor comparisons would be less then accurate. Gelatin provides that consistency and also happens to nicely correlate with what we see in light boned mammals. IE deer and humans. Your point about some individual aniamls being physiologically tougher is spot on as well as phsycological differences as well.

How so?

How do these photos come close to on actual game performance?

Jayco

Because they do. Barnes TSX exhibit relatively narrow, deep penetration in ballistic gel. Barnes TSX exhibit relatively narrow, deep penetration in real animals. The wound patterns are very similar when measured. Nosler Accubonds exhibit wide expansion with a little fragmentation in the first part of its path producing a good sized max temp cavity, and medium to deep penetration in ballistic gel. They also exhibit wide expansion with a little fragmentation in the first part of its path producing a good sized max temp cavity, and medium to deep pentration in real animals. The Hornady AMAX exhibits extremely wide wound cavities with medium penetration producing extreme tissue destruction in ballistic gel. Ironically AMAX's exhibits extremely wide wound cavities with medium penetration producing extreme tissue destruction in real animals. Funny how that works......

Let's just take Elk as an example....If there rolling in there waller,first there wet then it turns into hard caked mud,the first barrier the bullet comes in contact with.Then there is the hair,then the hide then the bodily fluids if you do not contact muscle or bone.

So how do these gelatin test approximate real game and what a bullet will really do?

Jayco

Please point out where I have mentioned elk? In any case intermediate barrier penetration is tested. While there are some differences in general bone causes bullets to open/fragment more and usually penetrate less.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

This paragraph by Dr. Fackler summarizes the subject perfectly, from a scientific point of view. Bullet mass and velocity are the only things that are used to calculate kinetic energy and momentum, so indirectly he's saying that both of those things are important! They certainly represent the potential that the bullet has to do damage, but as he points out (and you do, as well!), other factors determine how much actual damage and penetration the bullet achieves.

Again, I agree with you in principle, here, but energy is not meaningless, since it takes bullet mass and velocity into account, both of which are important in determining penetration and wound size. The non-scientific terms are fairly useless, though, like "hydro-static shock" (what is that, anyway?!), "knock-down power", etc.

At the end of the day, I'm with you all the way! The scientist in me just had to mention the trivial details that you had overlooked wink

smile Agree on all accounts.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
but enough is enough repeating time after time something like the A-Max is an all around, in every circumstance,Elk bullet, know matter what graph you show or what gelatin it is shot into.

Jayco

Exactly who brought up elk? Who has said that an AMAX is an all around, in every circumstance, Elk bullet? Oh that's right, no one did.

Respectfully, you're smoking crack.

Gel will never duplicate mud, hair, hide, cartilage, bone, muscles and internal organs.

You're missing the forest for the trees. It's not that if a bullet penetrates 13.7 inches in gel that it will penetrate 13.7 inches in real animals from every angle and no matter what structures are hit. It's that if a bullet demonstrates wide, shallow penetration in gel it will also produce wide, shallow penetration in animals. The general shape and characteristics will be the same. Hair, bone, mud, etc does not change that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another example of the internet making people more stupid..

Call up the major bullet manufacturers and ask them if they design and market bullets on gel performance alone.

Then get back to us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is a faily reliable dissertation I put together on ballistics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best artwork ever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do like my NBTs , for years. maybe a little theatrical in elk up close.
NBTs seem an extra margin of expansion at distance. Insurance for the lack of another word!

I wouldn't mind if someone tossed a few in my coffin and said a few nice things about Nolsers when I die!

But the more the curse of overthinking the wheel strikes, the more I think ABs might be a better choice, say I punched a scapula, or grazed a leg bone? (I am fine with ribs, things just happen sooner)

Just a question , if I were to try ABs?
How do they fly compared to BTs ?

Same power charge/sweet-spot?
Pressures about the same?
Velocity ? (Mv and down range?)

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Depends on the Ballistic Tip. Some have more jacket than others.

Formidilosus, thanks for this thread. It matches my experience in shooting both a few hundred big game animals and different kinds of media.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Another example of the internet making people more stupid..

Call up the major bullet manufacturers and ask them if they design and market bullets on gel performance alone.

Then get back to us.

I have been involved with more then a few R&D's with manufactures designing, tweaking and testing bullets. The good ones test the holy F out of bullets in gel. Then they validate that testing in animals.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
With respect Bob...You are an Internet hero taking the young and old into your wings and trying to make it right,whatever it is.To that I tip my hat, but enough is enough repeating time after time something like the A-Max is an all around, in every circumstance,Elk bullet, know matter what graph you show or what gelatin it is shot into..

Hope you understand as I have to hit the road right now not looking over my post.I trust you take it as it is without looking down at anyone.Just off the tip of my tongue without thing to much about it.

Jayco

Jayco,I don't think Formidilosis is trying to establish the Amax as an all around elk bullet;only illustrate what it does and how it behaves in thin skinned game in comparison to others.

You know I am a Partition and Bitterroot shooter,which means I shoot the same bullets you do...mostly. I try to relate what I've seen, shooting animals wink But there are a lot of bullets out there.It's good fun to take the data from shooting media,and correlate to what we see in the field. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the thread, it is a lot of fun to see the gel effects theory set into a visual in game.

Through the years, reliability has been an issue. Never as bad as marginally placed shots, still was an issue.

Devastation is a word that comes to mind when we field dress quick-clean kills.
Something those that use the no-gut method might fail to realize?

Your comparisons reassure something years of field observation have shown us all along.

It would be interesting to see the effects slower/controled-expansion bullets have at lower velocities. Something unavoidable at distance.

Not a study, more of an observation. It seems anything works 'well' up close. But even the stout-ist manglems lose their devastation appeal at distance.

Not a study, just in other words. A 300-Mag bullet slows through -06 speeds, down past .308 speeds and eventually has the potential of a 30/30 and could still be effective on game. That in a nut-shell is why I have leaned more toward the more aggressive bullets.

Thanks for the thread!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 224th, 257man, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 59 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,396
Posts18,527,874
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.