-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Need some advice on a rifle to hunt axis deer, possibly pigs and for plinking at the range here in Hawaii. Axis deer run 150-250 lbs.

As far as usage goes, the gun would probably be taken to the range with more frequency than on a hunt.

Preferences: I don�t like a lot of recoil. Would want something accurate up to 400 yards. (I will most likely pick up a Winchester lever action 30-30 from a friend for shorter range pig hunting in the bush).

I would load my own but want to keep it to a �popular� caliber.

More background: I don�t own a long gun currently(except a .22). I own a bunch of handguns and load for them.

Was thinking a .243 or 7mm 08. Maybe a .308 if I loaded it down a bit.

Was close to buying or trading for a .243 from a Campfire member but there�s a chance I could pick up a used rifle locally so I am going to pursue that first. (Most popular hunting rifles around here seem to be .308s and .270s).

Any suggestions?

mahalo

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Based on your criteria, I would go with the .243.

Your needs are very close to mine and I shoot a .308 almost exclusively, but the recoil from a 150 grain TTSX does not bother me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
"popular caliber [cartridge]"
+ "...don't like a lot of recoil"
+ "pigs"
+ "Axis deer run 150-250 lbs."
+ "...accurate up to 400 yards"

= .270 Win.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
6.5x55
7x57
7mm-08

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Appreciate the advice.

If I were to get a .270 or .308, what about loading rounds in those calibers down for plinking purposes or using smaller bullets and then shooting hotter, "normal" loads for hunting?

After all if you're hunting you're not going to be shooting a lot of rounds. What I don't like is being on a bench where the recoil seems more pronounced--especially if you're going to shoot a bunch. Doesn't seem that shooting standing is as bad, especially if you're only shooting a couple of rounds at the most.

Last edited by Kaumheimer; 08/20/12.

NRA Member

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.
Carl Jung
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawaii... Hunting, fishing, surfing, diving, nice weather.. I shoulda moved there when I had a chance.

I think a SS .270, while gay as all get out, would work pretty well.

For a lot more fun, look at a mid length AR in 6.8 SPC..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
+ "pigs"

= .270 Win.

FC

...zefugg, man.

Last time we shared a tent.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I vote for .270. In terms of recoil tolerance, I'm like a lot of folks in that I'm uncomfortable shooting much more than a .30-06. Most of that has been from a Remington pump with a lot of drop, so it punched more than a bolt. A few rounds were okay, but for a longer day at the range I needed to use a strap on shoulder pad. I found .30-06's from a bolt action stock with less drop to be wonderful, no pad required. The .308 and .270 are even softer, esp. the .270. With my new .270 M70 Featherweight last fall, I put 50 rounds downrange in one sessions, padless, in just a T-shirt before it started to hurt.

You haven't indicated what level of recoil makes you uncomfortable. It would appear, since you're getting a .30-30 for close hogs, that you can handle that. Hornady's lever-revolution ammo will carry to 250 yards if that's an ethical shot for you.

The .270 recoil will be a bit more, but maybe not as much as you think due to the difference in drop on a lever action versus a bolt. If you have a shooting buddy with a .270, ask to try it. Offer to buy a box of ammo. Try it out, and see how you like it. If you need a pad for the shoulder, buy one. I think mine was about $30 at Wal Mart.

If you plan on taking a 400 yard shot, you'll need lots of range time (unless there's something you haven't mentioned). That's a long shot and you need to be able to make it under field conditions for it to be ethical. Wind will be a huge issue at that distance and you'll need lots of experience to properly "dope" it. And you'll need to shoot the rounds you're going to hunt with to prepare properly for the long shot. You can go light for working on trigger control and mechanics at the start.

Also, at the range, don't limit yourself to bench shooting. Practice from field positions when and where you can.

Shooting's fun, as you know. So if recoil is an issue for you as it was for me, get a pad. Double up on ear protection, foam plugs under ear muffs, to reduce the noise. Don't worry about any perceived "wimp" factor. I wouldn't have the gumption to cast aspersions at somebody holding a loaded firearm.

Good luck and good shooting.

Last edited by Rubeus_Hagrid; 08/21/12.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Go with what you can get. I was on the Big Island for some time in Waimea and saw how expensive stuff can be. I would definetly go with the .308 for its versatility and availability. I can tell you that 90% of the pigs, goats and sheep are shot with .223 or less, in fact the number one pig gun I saw is a .22mag. The locals would work the pigs with dogs and then get close enough to head shoot them or double tap them through the lungs and let the dogs run the pig until it collapsed.

Are you chasing the axis on Lani or Maui?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
243 would be a nice way to go. 80TTSX will do good things for makin bacon.

Low recoil, factory ammo, lotsa fun!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
+ "pigs"

= .270 Win.

FC

...zefugg, man.

Last time we shared a tent.

Pained me to recommend it, honestly it did! But the OP said "popular [cartrdige]", not "spectacularly efficient, eminently refined, embraced by the riflecraft illuminati [cartridge]". If that was the case, then he'd have to have one of these:

[Linked Image]

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True dat.

Any fo all the hill billies here - that there is a 7x57 Mountain Rilfe with a 4x Conquest.

It got mojo.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,612
Posts18,511,758
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.