Campfire Kahuna
you speak truth to power, Keith. laugh

Sam......

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wusthof Classic are probably the best I've ever had.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still use the set of Chicago Cutlery knives that I bought some 30 years ago. I have them sharpened twice a year by a local professional at that sort of thing. Of late thou I been playing with a ceramic knife. its a small Santoku I use for pre work on things like tomatoes , onions, celery potatoes and garlic when I want to do a fine dice. Its a cheap one I bought at the local stop and shop. I like it so much I just might buy a good one. I am not that great of a cook, I can fairly well, but I only cook for myself. Mannlicher I like that knife who do I have to talk to, to get one?

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have mentioned the K Sabatier knives from France. I just got another, a three inch carbon steel paring knife.
That knife, along with my older 10 and 6 inch Chef knives are the ones I use the most.
I like the French Style, with a thinner blade, a different shape than German knives that facilitates working with the tip.
Being carbon steel, they develop a nice patina over the years.
There is no doubt that they out perform Stainless Steel German knives.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
THIS MAY SOUND KINDA OFF THE WALL BUT

I use three Rapala filleting knives for just about all of my culinary needs and have for forty years.They hold an edge with which I could shave, cost little, have very flexible blades and just work for me.

Terry

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh you are gonna be in so much trouble! These guys pronounce Wusthof like Thurston Howell the 3rd would I am afraid laugh

I say whatever works for you is just fine! smile

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I try to pass on to inquiring minds, the benefit of my many years owning/managing restaurants.
At times though, it's like casting pearls before swine. laugh

Sam......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just as a single brand, model or caliber of rifle isn't EVERYONE'S choice, we can't expect that a single type/brand of knife will be everyone's choice, either.

I totally and completely have enjoyed my 4-star Henckel knives for over 30 years and believe they are "THE BEST"... that's just MY opinion and/or judgement and isn't necessarily anyone else's "truth".

The one thing all of us have in common is... we like fine knives for use in the kitchen... no?

(Of course, in the final analysis, I "KNOW" I'm right!) grin grin grin

C'MOM... SMILE !~!~! This is supposed to be "FUN" !!! smile

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think how sharp a knife is, is more important than what kind of knife it is. Of Course, the latter can bear on the former. A good knife that is dull isn't of much use.
isn't of much use

At least not to me.

Last edited by sse; 07/26/12.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by add

Great value high performance cutter here:
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html

Koki is an outstanding vendor... only $6 bucks shipping from Japan and you will get in three business days.

The Kagayaki that Koki has is an excellent knife at that price point. I've had one in my kit for years and I grab it as often as the Ikkanshi-tads I have that were 3x as much. All of the JCK originals are a good value and the carbo-next gets a lot of play as well.

Dave

IC B3

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Birthday on Thursday. Just ordered a carbon steel K Sabatier 8" Cook's knife from the outlet store.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let us know how you like it. The 10 works better for me, but then I use the 6 inch often as well.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have mentioned the K Sabatier knives from France.
There is no doubt that they out perform Stainless Steel German knives.

Right up to the point you cut something acidic. eek
The old K-sabs are quite nice as long as a buyer knows the limitations and care required. SS is just a lot more practical for many.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave, I kinda like the patina that carbon steel knives acquire after use. laugh

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do to. I have an old Case that my grandfather bought back in the day. That will get passed on for sure along with his 39a Marlin.
Sure wish we still had a few of his other tools. He only bought the best he could find.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, we started on the patina this evening. Between cutting tomatoes for canning and apples for dehydrating it's obvious where the primary cutting area was at. What a difference in feel and cut from the stamped Chicago Cutlery I've been using for decades! Comparable to going from a Mossberg 500 home defense special to a Browning Citori XT in balance...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 4 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,323
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.